Field Artillery or Tank?
Create Post
    Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

Field Artillery or Tank?

Good afternoon Marines,

I plan on joining the Marine Corps in October of this year. I understand you can't completely pick your MOS but you can have a goal set that you work towards. So far I've narrowed my possible occupations down to either Field Artillery or Tank Crewman. Is there anyone who can please give me an idea of each MOS so I can decide more fully which I would like more? After all, there's only so much information you can find on the internet and advice straight from someone else is always better. Thanks in advance for any help.

Best regards,
    Corey

Credits
    Savings
    Forgot to say: I would go and ask a recruiter but I'm currently living outside the US so that's not possible.I am a US citizen though, by the way.

As for going into tanks, when you reach the fleet you'll be working with tanks and be in the field a lot. On deployments, you won't be going in tanks, at least not now or in the near future. They are sent as "provisional infantry." Just a small bit of info for you...

Also, not sure where arty is, but in tanks you get two possible duty stations. One is Camp LeJeune, and the other is the paradise known as 29 Palms.

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Arty- 10th Marine Regiment, Camp Lejeune.

Credits
    Savings
    Blackshirts, what would Tank Crewmen do on deployment, then?
    Would they do regular patrols as if they were Infantry?

Arty is a tough mos from what I can tell.
    Fyi, My brother has blown out his back twice and got a hernia from it.

As far as what tankers deployed as, I’ve heard of them being MPs,

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by PBD View Post
    Arty is a tough mos from what I can tell.
    Fyi, My brother has blown out his back twice and got a hernia from it.

As far as what tankers deployed as, I’ve heard of them being MPs,
    Sounds like your brother has had a rough time. Was he ever deployed?
    And thanks for the info on Tank Crewman duties when deployed today, I haven't been able to find any information on it.

No, he hasnt.

I talked to a fellow Marine in my unit, he said the last time they deployed my unit acted as sercurity for a base in Iraq, driving around in Mraps all day.

Credits
    Savings
    No, he hasnt.

I talked to a fellow Marine in my unit, he said the last time they deployed my unit acted as sercurity for a base in Iraq, driving around in Mraps all day.
    Training on tanks in the US and then Mraps when deployed...sounds like there's definitely worse jobs to have. Thanks for all the info, Marine, this has definitely helped my decision.

A good friend of mine is gunny with 1st tanks, in 2003 and 2005 he deployed with tanks. Then in 2008, his entire unit was converted to an MRAP unit and deployed.

Keep in mind you choose the MOS field. You could get either tanks and AAV's.

To whomever was asking, Artillery is pretty much on every base except airwings, in some form or another.

I can't speak for tanks, but as for Artillery, just be aware that there are a lot of technical jobs that don't really put you anywhere near the action. A lot of people join Arty (myself included) looking for action and a chance to blow some **** up, and then get put in front of a computer for 4 years. Now, this isn't a sure thing, but be aware that it is a possibility.

Someone in tanks will have to comment on this issue in their field...

You will be a crewmember no matter what if you join the 18XX field (Tanker/Tracker). Tanks have a driver, loader (main rounds), a gunner, and a TC. There isn't any office, or computer jobs in that field you could possibly get stuck with.

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by tangovictor87 View Post
    A good friend of mine is gunny with 1st tanks, in 2003 and 2005 he deployed with tanks. Then in 2008, his entire unit was converted to an MRAP unit and deployed.

Keep in mind you choose the MOS field. You could get either tanks and AAV's.
    I understand we can only pick the field, not the MOS. What is it your friend was doing after his unit was converted to MRAP?

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by codeman92190 View Post
    To whomever was asking, Artillery is pretty much on every base except airwings, in some form or another.

I can't speak for tanks, but as for Artillery, just be aware that there are a lot of technical jobs that don't really put you anywhere near the action. A lot of people join Arty (myself included) looking for action and a chance to blow some **** up, and then get put in front of a computer for 4 years. Now, this isn't a sure thing, but be aware that it is a possibility.

Someone in tanks will have to comment on this issue in their field...
    Thanks for that info, I wasn't aware their were many desk jobs in the artillery field.

Eh, it's a small portion I would say, but enough to keep in mind. Especially if you did/do well on the ASVAB, because they are not going to want to "waste" that on the gun line.

Thread Information