Deployment
Create Post

Thread: Deployment

Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

Deployment

Hello Marines,
    I am a current college sophmore working towards qualifying for the Summer 2011 PLC (Combined) Course.
    I know this is a little premature, but I would like to have a handle on what life will be like in the Fleet, assuming I can make the cut. I know I would definitely prefer to have a Combat Arms MOS, and I was hoping some of you could shed light on how often units are being sent to Afghanistan currently. Also, does this change based on what your MOS is? I would think that going infantry would mean seeing more action there than say, tanks, but I have nothing to base that off of, so I would appreciate any help or insight you could offer.
    Thank you,
    Justin

Credits
    Savings
    Sophomore*

You won't be able to choose your MOS as an officer, unless you go reserves.

Pretty much everyone goes to Afghanistan, but you probably won't be looking for actual combat unless you're a grunt or a job with a lot of free time for patrols. (I would assume).

Ill tell you about afghanistan,,,,,,,,,take a pile of sand from the beach and stick your face in it and inhale,,,,,,,,,,,,,then find a bunch of rocks and walk on them for 9 months,,,,,,,,,find a porta john and sit in there for 5 hours. get a plate of food and pour the sand on it and eat it-------------that is afghanistan in a nut shell.........................oh and you get care packages,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,by the way all the food is melted because it is about 100 degrees everyday---------

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    Quote Originally Posted by HOWARDROARK3043 View Post
    Ill tell you about afghanistan,,,,,,,,,take a pile of sand from the beach and stick your face in it and inhale,,,,,,,,,,,,,then find a bunch of rocks and walk on them for 9 months,,,,,,,,,find a porta john and sit in there for 5 hours. get a plate of food and pour the sand on it and eat it-------------that is afghanistan in a nut shell.........................oh and you get care packages,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,by the way all the food is melted because it is about 100 degrees everyday---------
    while I found this quite humorous, I don't think this part of the forum is the best spot for this kind of post

Credits
    Savings
    TinDragon,

I know you have to compete for available MOS slots at TBS, I was more wondering about if I got a combat MOS, would I be looking at multiple deployments as a new platoon commander (hypothetically of course) or are you staying home after your first?

Also, HOWARDROARK3043, I love the name. I'm a big Howard Roark admirer.

Thanks for the replies, it's great to know there are Marines out there willing to help some of us trying to make it.

If you don't deploy more than once either you're injured or something weird is going on.

Credits
    Savings
    Thanks Corporal, I appreciate it. That's exactly the kind of answer I was looking for.

Thread Information