Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Marine Friend Free Member USNAviator's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by usmc987332 View Post
    This is the record of your father on Iwo as I have it:

Cpl Robert J. Swulius
    Headquarters Company, 1st Bn, 28th Marines, 5th Marine Division
    Feb 11, 1945 --- Arrived and disembarked from USS Dickens at Saipan, Marianas Islands.
    Feb 11, 1945 --- Embarked and sailed from Saipan, Marianas Island via LST #758
    Feb 19, 1945 --- Arrived and disembarked at Iwo Jima, Volcano Islands
    Feb 19, 1945 - Feb 28, 1945 --- Participated in action against the enemy on Iwo Jima, Volcano Islands.
    Mar 1, 1945 - Mar 9, 1945 - Participated in action against the enemy on Iwo Jima, Volcano Islands
    March 10, 1945 --- Wounded in action, gunshot, neck IwoJima, Volcano Islands via air.
    March 11, 1945 - March 18, 1945 --- Sick, USA Station Hospital #204
    March 19, 1945 - Evacuated via ship
    March 29, 1945 - March 31, 1945 --- Sick, US Naval Hospital #128

Your father probably landed with the 5th wave between 0915 and 0920. They moved approximate 150 yards inland and established ther CP in an abandoned emplacement.

The day your father was wounded, two other men wounded and two killed. All were hit by gunshots. It sounds like a sniper was zeroed in on the CP.

He would have been wounded in the Badlands between Nishi Ridge and Bloody Gorge.

That's incredible Bob, well done.

Quote Originally Posted by GT6238 View Post
    Ran into an Iwo Jima veteran last week in the Home Depot parking lot. He had parked next to me so we compared license plates and stickers on our windows. He had a hat on for Iwo and I immediately shook his hand. We talked for some time. He was in the 5th Marine Division. He was in pretty good shape although he said he had triple bypass surgery. Said he came out of the fight with only minor shrapnel wounds. In fact He asked Me how I was doing. Nice guy. These men are getting fewer and fewer by the day. We should celebrate them.
    Ill be honored to meet a Iwo Jima vet like him!! Thanks for posting this, sir!

Cpl Robert J. Swulius
    Feb 11, 1945 --- Arrived and disembarked from USS Dickens at Saipan, Marianas Islands.
    Feb 19, 1945 - Feb 28, 1945 --- Participated in action against the enemy on Iwo Jima, Volcano Islands.
    Mar 1, 1945 - Mar 9, 1945 - Participated in action against the enemy on Iwo Jima, Volcano Islands
    March 10, 1945 --- Wounded in action, gunshot, neck IwoJima, Volcano Islands via air.

Your father probably landed with the 5th wave between 0915 and 0920. They moved approximate 150 yards inland and established ther CP in an abandoned emplacement.

The day your father was wounded, two other men wounded and two killed. All were hit by gunshots. It sounds like a sniper was zeroed in on the CP.

He would have been wounded in the Badlands between Nishi Ridge and Bloody Gorge.
    I do not have a record on your father after March 31, and he wound up in Naval Hospital in Hiwaii. I would guess he returned to duty with the 5th Division. Is this correct, or was he transferred back to the states. Did he land at Sasebo, Japan with the 28th Marines on September 22, 1945?

Quote Originally Posted by Brianr4743 View Post
    Great to have found this site!

Proud to be the son of an Iwo Jima survivor, Charles S. Ranger. Second Batallion, Twenty-Eighth Marines, Fifth Marine Division. Greatest man I've ever known, and my best friend. As with many, now in his last days, but we still live every day with a Marine Corp memory from him. Thanks USMC for making him the man he is.
    Let me say that your dad is and was the reason I joined the Marines, all those wwII island hopping Marines. I'm so proud of them, I cannot believe what they had to go threw, and here I am thinking I'm the sh!t cause of Iraq, it humbles me so much when I think of those Marines. Semper Fi, Ranger!

Marine Family Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

Robert J. Swulius

Thank you so much for the information on my father. The scar on the back of his neck is about 3/4 inches wide and runs from one ear to the other. When he was 10 he had Bulbospinal polio and was on a ventelator for a few months. He spent his teenage years building up his strength and was so proud when he was accepted in the Marine Corps.
    Thanks again,
    Gail

Bulbospinal polio
    Approximately 19% of all paralytic polio cases have both bulbar and spinal symptoms; this subtype is called respiratory polio or bulbospinal polio.[4] Here the virus affects the upper part of the cervical spinal cord (C3 through C5), and paralysis of the diaphragm occurs. The critical nerves affected are the phrenic nerve, which drives the diaphragm to inflate the lungs, and those that drive the muscles needed for swallowing. By destroying these nerves this form of polio affects breathing, making it difficult or impossible for the patient to breathe without the support of a ventilator. It can lead to paralysis of the arms and legs and may also affect swallowing and heart functions.[38]

Marine Family Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    I do not have a record on your father after March 31, and he wound up in Naval Hospital in Hiwaii. I would guess he returned to duty with the 5th Division. Is this correct, or was he transferred back to the states. Did he land at Sasebo, Japan with the 28th Marines on September 22, 1945? My father was sent back to duty with the fifth Marine division at Iwo. He can't remember the exact date.

Quote Originally Posted by Gail Macko View Post
    Thank you so much for the information on my father. The scar on the back of his neck is about 3/4 inches wide and runs from one ear to the other. When he was 10 he had Bulbospinal polio and was on a ventelator for a few months. He spent his teenage years building up his strength and was so proud when he was accepted in the Marine Corps.
    Thanks again,
    Gail

Bulbospinal polio
    Approximately 19% of all paralytic polio cases have both bulbar and spinal symptoms; this subtype is called respiratory polio or bulbospinal polio.[4] Here the virus affects the upper part of the cervical spinal cord (C3 through C5), and paralysis of the diaphragm occurs. The critical nerves affected are the phrenic nerve, which drives the diaphragm to inflate the lungs, and those that drive the muscles needed for swallowing. By destroying these nerves this form of polio affects breathing, making it difficult or impossible for the patient to breathe without the support of a ventilator. It can lead to paralysis of the arms and legs and may also affect swallowing and heart functions.[38]
    Gail,

Pardon my being inquisitive, but your father interests me very much. I like to collect as much information as I can on men from the First Battalion of the 28th Marines. It doesn't sound as if you have ever had him tell you all of his experiences in the Marine Corps. So many of the Marines in the 28th Marines were former Raiders or Paramarines. Was he either?

I think you can convince him to tell you his story if he hasn't. Do you know what his job was? What little information I have would indicate he would have worked in the Battalion Command Post on Iwo. There are some good photographs of the First Battalion on the internet, and I have those photographs. Unfortunately, I cannot find your father's photograph among the photographs. I am sure he received a copy of the Spearhead book.

Since I do not know your Dad, I don't know how to tell you how to go about, but I do not think it would be too difficult. As starters, you might get him to tell you about "Tarawa" Funk.

I think he might get a kick out of my experience with him. "Tarawa" was the Sergeant Major of the First Battalion of the 28th Marines. As I remember him, he was a scrawney fellow with a real raspy voice. On the morning of February 23 (The day the flags were raised atop Suribachi Yama) I group of us replacements who had been working on Red Beach were sent the the First Battalion to become streacher bearers. To say the least, I was not too happy at becoming a streacher bearer. Funk lined us up and asked if there was a typist in the group. Well, back at camp Lejune I had been transferred out of the replacement battalion to become a typist with Hq 8th Trainning Bn. I tried to beg out of the transfer and they told me to find another clerk typist and I could go back to the replacement battalion. I spent three days going from hut to hut and found someone who wanted to be a clerk typist. Well, I had begun to think I had made a mistake, so I stepped forward. Funk, without a smile, in his raspy voice said, "Son, this is probably not the type of typewritter you are used to, but I have a machine gun squad that needs an ammo carrier." Doubtless you know, the first rule for being a good Marine is never to volunteer for anything, and I mean never.

If you can get his career on paper, you will never regret it. I took my wife over 40 years to convince me I should do this. I am glad she won out. You know, we are not youngsters and time is running out. You will be surprised at how much he remembers that he has not told you.

My uncle was 27 Marine 5th Division. I am trying to find anyone from his division who may have known him so I can learn more about his time in the service. All the letters he had send home to my grandmother went missing when she passed away. His name was Donald Lee Greene, and he was KIA by a sniper on March 14th, 1945. If anyone reading this thread may have known my uncle, please contact me.

Marine Friend Free Member USNAviator's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by kasobczak View Post
    My uncle was 27 Marine 5th Division. I am trying to find anyone from his division who may have known him so I can learn more about his time in the service. All the letters he had send home to my grandmother went missing when she passed away. His name was Donald Lee Greene, and he was KIA by a sniper on March 14th, 1945. If anyone reading this thread may have known my uncle, please contact me.
    Send a PM to this gentleman http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/member.php?u=78309

He's the one who posted before you. His name is Bob and he's written a very good book on the subject. Trouble is Bob hasn't been online since 12/20/10. Perhaps he may check in

Good luck

Quote Originally Posted by kasobczak View Post
    Kasobczak,

I met a gentleman about two years ago while I was visiting with another Marine mom in a local coffee shop. We noticed that he was wearing a WWII Marine cap and we introduced ourselves. We exchanged emails and I've been in touch with him through email since that time. He was very humble and did not mention that he had fought on Iwo Jima, I only found out later when I browsed through the website for the Marine Corps League in our town in which he is very active. Now if I am reading the information correctly on the link which I've posted below ... he may have been in the same division as your uncle. Excuse me if I am mistaken, but I'm sure someone here can tell.

Go to the list of Purple Heart recipients at the bottom of the page .... he's the only one listed as having been in the 5th Marine Division. If I'm understanding the rest of the info by his name correctly he may have been with your uncle. It reads F/2/27 5th Marine Div. If I am not understanding the info correctly, I'm sorry and I do hope you are able to find someone who knew your uncle.

http://www.usmcleague.com/Medals.htm

Cpl Robert J. Swulius

Hi, I was googling the LST 758 which I do once in awhile. My Dad was USCG, Gunner's Mate 1st. James H. Scott. He was part of the original crew that picked the ship up at the Yard outside Pittsburgh. Dad was the aaa fire control officer for the Forward Bofors batteries on the 758. Aka "Guns". His guntub was the one with Mammy Yokum making a fist painted on it.
    The 758 had a Coast Guard crew and a Navy Capt. Of the 14 LST's in the Iwo Squadron, 9 had USCG crews.

The Amphib. group the LST 758 belonged to was called "Island Hoppers" Main reason being that they frequently carried Marine raider groups. 1-2 LST's would drop them off at one end of any one of a thousand tiny islands and pick them up at the other end. It was during these small actions that they discovered how effective 40mm Bofors guns can be in close in support.
    The 758 went in to unload on the 3rd day at Iwo Jima. They were almost on the line separating red from green beaches.
    The 758 is where the flag used in the Rosenthal photo came from. Just after the flag raising, the 758 took a near miss at the stern which bent her screws. Unable to back off the beach the 758 was there for the next 5 days waiting for a sea going tug to pull them off. "I had a grandstand seat for something I truly wish I could forget entirely".
    Dad hasn't ever talked much about those 5 days. A good deal of it was blocked for many years. I would imagine that isn't uncommon with Iwo survivors.

ADDED- The 758 later carried units of the 5th USMC into Okinawa, though that was primarily an Army op.
    It had also carried USMC raider units in support of the landings at Leyte Beach.

Dad is still with us. He hits 90 next month. He's had a couple of strokes in the last year. However, the recall, while a little slower than it was, is still amazingly sharp. " Most times I can't remember what I had for breakfast this or any other morning, but I can still tell you what I had for breakfast on the morning of Feb. 19th".

There are now less than 10 of the 758's crew left alive. The last to pass was 1st Officer Ensign George Peabody.
    I know that Dad would be willing to answer any questions and Emails. It would also be very good for him to have to work his memory a little harder than usual.
    However, realist that I am, I would suggest that you not wait too long.

BTW- I do know that he has some great stories about the trip from Saipan to Iwo. And mainly regarding interaction with the Marines they had on Board. It was those Marines who gave him the Nick of "Guns".

Credits
    Savings
    Images

Thumbs up Uncommon Valor Was A Common Virtue

If it weren't for Men like this We'd be speaking JAPANESE...I was fortunate enough a Few years back too personally meet alot of these Brave Men at The 5th.Marine Division Reuinon which I am a Very Proud LIFE MEMBER Of,having served with India Co.3rd.Bn.26th.Marines in Vietnam 1968 S/F

I'm a Theatre person in the Charlotte area and a few months ago we did a show called "Paying Tribute". It's an oral history format where we took Veterans from the "Purple Heart Society" in Charlotte and let them talk and tell their stories while we recorded and took notes. We then transcribed their words into a script and stylized it a bit and had stage actors read these veterans stories. We had a few stories from WW2 and had a few from Korea including a Marine who served at the Chosin Reservoir (I had the opportunity to read his story as well I should've) and several from Veitnam. Unfortunatly there weren't any vets from the current conflicts represented. As an actor whose done 60 or 70 shows I can say that this was the most rewarding and important work I've ever done. We played to packed houses and there was never a dry eye in the audience. Seeing the appreciation of these vets who were finally getting their stories told and meeting these heroes was beyond comprehension. In the lobby we had military type stuff to look at and I made sure the Marine Corps was very well represented. To anyone in the Charlotte NC area, we're planning on doing it again for Veterans Day, we're thinking about possibly taking this idea on the road to help tell the stories of Veterans old and new. We have no WW1 vets left on the planet. WW2 vets and Korean vets are getting scarce too. They deserve to have their stories told before they go.
    semper Fi!

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Yo SWAMPFOX, Try giving these Men a Holler;The Fifth Marine Division Association...P.O.Box 1775,Harrison,AR.72602-1775 Last phone number I had was 870-741-8940 that was 2004!!!But addy still should Be the same? GoodLuck

FERMIN R. RIOS 1926 ~ 2011 Fermin R. Rios, 85, a San Jacinto, resident, lived most of his life in Santa Ana, CA, passed away on Monday, June 27, 2011 at Hemet Valley Medical Center. He was born on January 22, 1926 in Redlands, CA. As a Corporal in the United States Marine Corps during WWII assigned to D Company, 2nd Battalion, 28th, 5th Marine Division, he was awarded the Purple Heart for wounds received at the Battle of Iwo Jima. He is survived by his wife of 46 years, Raquel J. Rios; sons Ernie M. Rios Sr. (Martha); Harvey M. Rios, Sr. (Naomi); step-children, Rosie Hardin (Clyde); Oscar Sanchez; 5 grandchildren; 17 great-grandchildren; 4 great-great grandchildren; and sister, Jenny Zamaro (Alfonso). Friends may visit from 6:00 to 8:00 PM on Tuesday, July 5, 2011 with Vigil starting at 6:30pm at Acheson & Graham, 7944 Magnolia Ave., Riverside, CA. Funeral Mass will be 10:00 AM Wednesday, July 6, 2011 at St. Catherine\'s Catholic Church followed by Military Honor Service at Riverside National Cemetery, staging #4. Condolences may be made online at www.achesonandgraham.com

Thread Information