Met an Iwo Jima vet - Page 2
Create Post
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Cherhen thank your Father for his service for me and tell him Welcome Home Marine.

I met a surviving Iwo Jima vet's wife at the VA Hospital the other day. Her husband, PFC Paul Smith, was there with a medical issue. Please everyone, a prayer for this warrior please. Semper Fi PFC Smith. Tom Murray

Quote Originally Posted by WXSgt View Post
    They are getting fewer and fewer. I personally knew General Ray Davis. he used to do alot of charity events and such for my High School and i was in the JROTC, i also was a good friend with his grand daughter. when i got out of boot though i wanted to see him and all but he died about a month into my boot. its very unfortunate that we cant meet more of these men and hear their stories.
    General Davis was a friend of mine for a number of years. My daughter has been organist at Conyers Methodist Church since 1995. He was a member and Sunday School teacher there. A super person all around. Where and when did you know him?

Marine Friend Free Member USNAviator's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by TMM54 View Post
    I met a surviving Iwo Jima vet's wife at the VA Hospital the other day. Her husband, PFC Paul Smith, was there with a medical issue. Please everyone, a prayer for this warrior please. Semper Fi PFC Smith. Tom Murray
    Prayers outbound for PFC Smith and for comfort to his wife. Get well Marine

I am looking for any marine that was in the 5th division on Iwo Jima. My brother was Richard W. Pearson and was killed on Iwo the 11th of March 1945 age 18 yrs. old and I was only 7. I would love to talk with someone that knew him as I was so young at the time that I have not really had closer with his death. I have a picture of him talking to Ira Hayes after the flag was put up. If any one out there knew him please send me an e-mail and I will call you. God bless each and everyone of you brave men no matter which wat you were in. Karen Dyson

Quote Originally Posted by littlesister7 View Post
    I am looking for any marine that was in the 5th division on Iwo Jima. My brother was Richard W. Pearson and was killed on Iwo the 11th of March 1945 age 18 yrs. old and I was only 7. I would love to talk with someone that knew him as I was so young at the time that I have not really had closer with his death. I have a picture of him talking to Ira Hayes after the flag was put up. If any one out there knew him please send me an e-mail and I will call you. God bless each and everyone of you brave men no matter which wat you were in. Karen Dyson
    I was with B Company of the 28th on Iwo, and Richard W. Pearson was not a member of the First Battalion of the 28th. If you have a picture of him talking with the "Chief," He was most likely with E Company of the 28th or Hq Co of the 2nd of the 28th. There are still a number of men from those units still around. If it was a published picture, let me know which one and I might be able to give you some names. My records show a Pvt. Richard Pearson in the 28th, so he was either in the 2nd or 3rd Bn unless he was in Hq of the 28th. You should be able to make a contact. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by bootlace15 View Post
    My father was at Iwo. He lost his left hand to a sniper I can say he was as hard Corp as they get. That is until I came along..............
    We had a Pfc Lloyd F. King in Charlie Company, 28th Marines. He was wounded by multiple shrapnel wounds, so I guess that is not your father.

Quote Originally Posted by littlesister7 View Post
    Just a little piece of information, based on the date of his death, he would have been killed in the Battle for the Badlands. The Badlands is a strip of land on the western side of Iwo Jima running from Nishi Ridge to Bloody Gorge, some of the most grotesque terrain on the Island. He would have participated in the Battle for Suribachi, Hill 362 and Nishi Ridge, and the Badlands. On the 11th, (date of his death) the 28th was on the left flank, nearing Bloody Gorge.

Marine Friend Free Member USNAviator's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by usmc987332 View Post
    Just a little piece of information, based on the date of his death, he would have been killed in the Battle for the Badlands. The Badlands is a strip of land on the western side of Iwo Jima running from Nishi Ridge to Bloody Gorge, some of the most grotesque terrain on the Island. He would have participated in the Battle for Suribachi, Hill 362 and Nishi Ridge, and the Badlands. On the 11th, (date of his death) the 28th was on the left flank, nearing Bloody Gorge.
    Thanks Bob, it's nice to have a resident historian aboard

Wow!!! Iam Honored And Priviledge To Be In The Presence Of These Family Members Of Heros, Godbless You All,

Semper Fi

Stephen Doc Hansen Hm3 Fmf

Great to have found this site!

Proud to be the son of an Iwo Jima survivor, Charles S. Ranger. Second Batallion, Twenty-Eighth Marines, Fifth Marine Division. Greatest man I've ever known, and my best friend. As with many, now in his last days, but we still live every day with a Marine Corp memory from him. Thanks USMC for making him the man he is.

It was my privelege to attend a presentation at the local Library, on Oct 30 by PFC Frank Walker, a member of the 5th Division 2nd Battalion that served and survived Bloody Iwo, and is pictured along with Ira Hayes and the other members of the squad that raised the flag on Suribachi 23 Feb, 1945 in another Rosenthal photo he reffered to as "The Gung Ho" photo. Mr. Walker has written a book about his USMC experiences called "The Rain on Iwo Jima" Very Interesting man was one of 10 that walked down off the Hill after going up with 126. Was proud to have shaken his hand and thanked him for his service.

Marine Family Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

Daughter of an Iwo Jima Veteran

My father was in the Fifth Marine Division on Iwo Jima. He is now 87 and in pretty good health. I am so proud to have him for a father and I thank God for him, and all the men like him, so I can live in freedom in such a great country.

5th Division Marine

Quote Originally Posted by Gail Macko View Post
    My father was in the Fifth Marine Division on Iwo Jima. He is now 87 and in pretty good health. I am so proud to have him for a father and I thank God for him, and all the men like him, so I can live in freedom in such a great country.
    I am always in search of Marines from the First Battalion of the 28th Marines, 5th Marine Division. What was your father's outfit?

Quote Originally Posted by Gail Macko View Post
    This is the record of your father on Iwo as I have it:

Cpl Robert J. Swulius
    Headquarters Company, 1st Bn, 28th Marines, 5th Marine Division
    Feb 11, 1945 --- Arrived and disembarked from USS Dickens at Saipan, Marianas Islands.
    Feb 11, 1945 --- Embarked and sailed from Saipan, Marianas Island via LST #758
    Feb 19, 1945 --- Arrived and disembarked at Iwo Jima, Volcano Islands
    Feb 19, 1945 - Feb 28, 1945 --- Participated in action against the enemy on Iwo Jima, Volcano Islands.
    Mar 1, 1945 - Mar 9, 1945 - Participated in action against the enemy on Iwo Jima, Volcano Islands
    March 10, 1945 --- Wounded in action, gunshot, neck IwoJima, Volcano Islands via air.
    March 11, 1945 - March 18, 1945 --- Sick, USA Station Hospital #204
    March 19, 1945 - Evacuated via ship
    March 29, 1945 - March 31, 1945 --- Sick, US Naval Hospital #128

Your father probably landed with the 5th wave between 0915 and 0920. They moved approximate 150 yards inland and established ther CP in an abandoned emplacement.

The day your father was wounded, two other men wounded and two killed. All were hit by gunshots. It sounds like a sniper was zeroed in on the CP.

He would have been wounded in the Badlands between Nishi Ridge and Bloody Gorge.

Thread Information