Any other reservists catching crap?
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Any other reservists catching crap?

Jokes are to be expected, but when you start hearing the same jokes over and over again from the poolees going AD, it starts to get a little annoying. Honestly I don't care and it doesn't bother me to an extent worth complaining about. The purpose of me posting is to just see who else is going reserve and not active?

My personal plan is to go reserves, finish my degree.. and then apply to OCS. Any other folks planning on doing that or something similar?

I am doing the same man, just ignore what the other guys say, they are just immature and stupid, they will learn once the graduate boot camp and all their training that when they get into combat or a deployment, active duty or reserve Marines are all the same on a deployment, Reservists cover AD's back and vice versa, Reservists go through the same training and earn the same title of Marine. I don't see AD Marines any better than reservists, the only difference is that AD is full-time and reserves is part-time. That is it! Both should earn the same amount of respect.

Quote Originally Posted by nicka495 View Post
    I am doing the same man, just ignore what the other guys say, they are just immature and stupid, they will learn once the graduate boot camp and all their training that when they get into combat or a deployment, active duty or reserve Marines are all the same on a deployment, Reservists cover AD's back and vice versa, Reservists go through the same training and earn the same title of Marine. I don't see AD Marines any better than reservists, the only difference is that AD is full-time and reserves is part-time. That is it! Both should earn the same amount of respect.
    Well said.

I don't see why you're catching hell about it. That's a smart move... I'm AD and actually jealous of that plan because mines is more drawn out..

I'm going reservist and I havent had anyone say anything negative to me. I plan on being an officer after I graduate from Seton Hall but as for now I still go through bootcamp just like every past,present and future Marine. At the end of the day when you put your dress blues on and walk down the street nobody asks you if your active duty or reservist they only thank you for serving yout country as a United States Marine.---shipping out 20100524---Wish me luck!!

What's up man... you're from Howell? I live in Reb Bank, what RSS are you out of? I ship 20100601.

Nothin wrong with reserves, in fact I could see myself doing the same thing you're planning to do. I just thought long and hard about what I want and that's where it took me. (I'm going AD)

Yeah man I'm going reserves as well. I've already got my business in place for a career when I get back from training so I'm trying to do the best of both worlds. Like Nick already said, you have to have all the same training and earn the title like AD. If it's poolies giving you s*** then I'd say shut the hell up and earn the title first before you say anything.

Another Reservist here. My husband has a great, stable job that is about three times what my salary would be and we have a 1 1/2 year old little boy, a house, the whole nine yards. We would be taking a huge hit for me to be going active duty. This will allow me to still be a kind-of stay-at-home-mom (when not drilling or training) and be a Marine.

Although my husband did agree that, if after my first enlistment, I really love it and I want to go active duty that he will quit his job and follow me wherever. I thought that was a good exchange.

I haven't gotten too many negative comments though a couple of people have asked me why I'm not going active. People usually understand when I explain it to them.

I'm really glad that the Reserves are available for people like me who really want to be Marines and serve their country but have other responsibilities to think about as well.

I would like to take this opportunity to go back to school as well, if even part time, and get some kind of degree. I have a good enough MOS slated that I might actually be able to get a really good job that I can start working once my son goes to school.

I'm a senior in high school now just about to finish and I'm in the DEP for reserves and I got the same thing going on. I'm going to college in January after I get back from bootcamp and all. Instead of waiting for OCS after college though, my recruiter told me to apply to PLC so I can do it in the summers between semesters. All the other poolees think it's a cool plan, and I haven't had any problems either, maybe it's cause when I'm an officer (if I make it) I'll be going AD as well

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Git over it.

Quote Originally Posted by theoxtetra View Post
    I'm a senior in high school now just about to finish and I'm in the DEP for reserves and I got the same thing going on. I'm going to college in January after I get back from bootcamp and all. Instead of waiting for OCS after college though, my recruiter told me to apply to PLC so I can do it in the summers between semesters. All the other poolees think it's a cool plan, and I haven't had any problems either, maybe it's cause when I'm an officer (if I make it) I'll be going AD as well
    I'm doing PLC myself and it basically breaks OCS up into two parts (junior and senior summers of college), there's not a huge difference between PLC and ROTC. PLC is just the most popular choice since a lot of colleges/universities don't have NROTC. And.. obviously you don't have military classes and such like you would with ROTC on campus. Just know that after you sign on into PLC your not going to drill anymore.

http://www.marineofficerprograms.com...-class-plc.php

Sorry, didn't mean to post this twice but I can't delete it.

Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    I mean, I have some AD Infantry friends, and they really don't like reservists. According to them, it's hard when you're either living in ****ty bases or trudging around the desert, and then some reservists come rolling in for an occasional deployment and try to mingle as though they've been through the same things. It's stupid, it really is. Not all of us can afford to give up our whole lives and throw ourselves into this job full time, and when the time comes, we all go and fight.
    However, I give the grunts their due respect - they can hate who they want. If you're a poolee, you can't say anything about anything. you can't rip on army, you can't rip on coast guard, you can't rip on civilians, or other poolees. Ya just shut up until you earn the title.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew09 View Post
    I'm doing PLC myself and it basically breaks OCS up into two parts (junior and senior summers of college), there's not a huge difference between PLC and ROTC. PLC is just the most popular choice since a lot of colleges/universities don't have NROTC. And.. obviously you don't have military classes and such like you would with ROTC on campus. Just know that after you sign on into PLC your not going to drill anymore.

My recruiter actually told me I can choose to go to drill if I wish, but I'm just not required to go if I don't want to. I think I'd prefer to keep going though.

Thread Information