Confused about another thread.
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Confused about another thread.

Hello Marines. In another thread titled "off to earn my title"(http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=95600), WMarine and TunTvrnWarrior said to not look forward in boot camp because it ends in bad news. I was just curious as to why this is. I get through hard times by looking forward to the end so this surprised me when I read it.

WMarine and Tuntvrnwarrior may be able to answer my question alone but any other answers are welcome.

Thank you for your time.

Just do what works for you. Everyone has different coping mechanisms. I think what they meant is do not distract yourself by focusing on anything else but the task in front of you. Listen to your drill instructors, give it all you got and never give up then maybe you will earn our title.

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Nothing in that thread said anything about "Bad News".
    Just stay focused at the "Task at hand".

Ok I understand. I always focus on the task at hand but when I have down time I count down the days. Thank you for your reply.

Quote Originally Posted by Rhode Island View Post
    Nothing in that thread said anything about "Bad News".
    Just stay focused at the "Task at hand".
    You are correct. I took this "that's how things happen that you don't want to happen" and condensed it to this "bad news".

What I meant by "things can happen" is...you can get hurt, and that will set things back for you. You can't control what will happen a few weeks into recruit training, but you can control what you are doing in the day you are in.....by taking it one day at a time.
    To me, staying focused in the day you are in, is the key. The training days are long enough and by looking ahead, it makes the training days a lot longer.
    Set your sites on things that are going on during the training day......like after you're out of the rack in the morning and you go to morning chow, then you're off PTing and whatever is scheduled for that training day up until lunch chow. Then more training, and then evening chow. Then sometime after evening chow, then it's free time. Then it's time to hit the rack....and you start the cycle all over again for the next training day.

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Sorry Lisa to answer for you.
    I didn't know if you would see the Thread.

Semper Fi,
    Rocky

Ok thank you very much. I will focus on taking it a day at a time when I get there.

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sbombard15 View Post
    Ok thank you very much. I will focus on taking it a day at a time when I get there.
    No Harm No Foul.

Good Luck to you

Semper Fi,
    Rocky
    No problem Rocky!

Be advised...days can be pretty long. Most people recommend breaking it up, "chow to chow" as in think about managing what is going on and getting through it until next chow period (this was rubbish for me as almost all our chow time was a haze fest!). What worked for me was to make everything a competition....getting dressed, getting smoked, making a bed, etc...I tried to do better than the person to my left and right.

In that great series The Wire the DA asks Omar how he survived robbing Baltimore drug dealers for 7 long years.

"One day at a time....I guess"

Anything that in life you find hard to cope with should be broken down to small steps.

That is in fact how I was (barely) able to get through my first 3 VN Recon patrols (hot dry season) That next bend....that next tree....that next 5 mins.

If I had thought about the next 4 days I would have had to sit down and tell them to call a chopper. A decision I had made mentally a few times but the words never quite came out of my mouth.

10 months later I was carrying my ruck and the ruck of a heat effected Marine straight up some god awful mountain in 110+ degree weather.

But it all started with that next bend...that next tree...

Semper Fi,
    Rocky
    Rocky,

I don't think she misses a thread. I am shocked when she hasn't posted something to them. WMarine is almost always present and accounted for .

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MicMarine View Post
    Rocky,

I don't think she misses a thread. I am shocked when she hasn't posted something to them. WMarine is almost always present and accounted for .
    HAHAHAHA!!!

Your Right!!! What the hell was I thinking ?

Thank you for all the advice Marines. I am glad I got this squared away before I leave next month.

Thread Information