Is this right?
Create Post

Thread: Is this right?

Exclamation Is this right?

Hi, my name is Dakotah. I am a poolee in the United States Marine Corps, and I believe I have noticed something unusual. I am used to seeing military men and women walking around the town, but on one occasion at a bulk grocery store I noticed something odd. I saw a Marine walking around in his Utility Uniform. Would this be a dead give away that he is a fake, or just me jumping to conclusions? Also note that he was with a buddy who was wearing the same thing. Thank you for your time Marines.

You're jumping to conclusions....and don't worry about it.

Thank you for the answer WMarine.

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Good Question!!!
    When I was on Active Duty I lived off base so when I was going home and had to stop at the Store in Utes it was no Big Deal. Common Practice then.

Couldn't sit down in a Restaurant though.

It may not have been real or it may have just been a civilian wearing it. I've seen people wearing faded green MARPAT trousers with a tshirt at the mall. I was curious so I asked and he'd just bought it at a surplus store. Wasn't even the real thing. He wasn't claiming to be a Marine so he wasn't a poser but honestly, there's no law that says civilians can't buy genuine cammies off ebay and wear them whenever they want.

Don't worry too much about it. If he's a Marine and goes out like that as a habit, chances are he'll eventually be spotted and have his ass chewed.

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by FattyTheFerret View Post

Don't worry too much about it. If he's a Marine and goes out like that as a habit, chances are he'll eventually be spotted and have his ass chewed.
    Fatty, is that the rule now, no cammies off base???

Quote Originally Posted by Rhode Island View Post
    Fatty, is that the rule now, no cammies off base???
    Indeed. You can commute in cammies but can only leave your vehicle for a "bona fide emergency".

I'll find the exact wording in the order, one sec.

Correction:

2. The utility uniform is a working uniform. Wear of the utility uniform is authorized while commuting to and from work to include all travel aboard DODowned/controlled aircraft. The utility uniform may also be worn for brief and appropriate stops off-base during duty hours or while commuting. In addition to emergency/maintenance stops, Marines are allowed to make brief, essential stops off-base during duty hours and while commuting to and from their place of duty, such as:

a. when dropping off/picking up children from daycare centers or school;

b. obtaining gas or other essential driving aids (wiper blades, snow chains, fluids, lights, etc.);

c. picking up/dropping off dry-cleaning;

d. off-base financial institutions; to include automatic teller machines; (ALMAR 107/96)

e. picking up vehicles at repair shops or gas stations;

f. at drive-thru windows where exiting the vehicle is not required; and,

g. at a convenience store or drug store solely for the purchase of emergency childcare or health products (milk, diapers, medicine, etc.).

3. Marines are prohibited from wearing the utility uniform as a liberty uniform off-base or during inappropriate circumstances such as:

a. at restaurants, pizza parlors, bars, lounges, etc.;

b. when dealing with public officials (police, courthouse, attorneys);

c. while attending classes or activities, or conducting business at education facilities;

d. at commercial airports/bus stations for travel or entering pick/drop off passengers;

e. at retail/rental stores, shopping malls, and shops for shopping or paying bills;

f. at grocery stores/supermarkets;

g. at movie theaters, mini-golf, or other similar entertainment/recreational or sporting activities.
    That may be a recent change because I could have sworn it used to say only emergency stops (no gas, even) were allowed.

http://www.marines.mil/news/publicat...20CH%201-4.pdf

Paragraph 2005

In the 1980's and 1990's all Marine Corps Bases that I traveled to or was stationed at, had this order in place. The only base where I saw that it was relaxed was Cherry Point.

Thread Information