Questions about Cover
Create Post
    Convulsive
    Guest Free Member

Questions about Cover

Not sure if this is an actual uniform regulation and i can't find it in P1020.32G. It's more like a Customs and Courtesy thing.

I was wondering if there is any specific order on wearing your cover while eating outside. I was always told you take it off regardless of if you're in garrison or out in the field.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Convulsive View Post
    Not sure if this is an actual uniform regulation and i can't find it in P1020.32G. It's more like a Customs and Courtesy thing.

I was wondering if there is any specific order on wearing your cover while eating outside. I was always told you take it off regardless of if you're in garrison or out in the field.

No regulation I ever heard of. It is, however, a manners thing that a man takes his cover off while eating.

Indoors, of course, you would be uncovered anyway. Outdoors, normally you would remain covered (by reg), but in the field you could probably get a bit informal if your bosses were OK with it.

I uncovered while eating indoors even when under arms and so did most other Marines I knew.

Credits
    Savings
    Ive always been taught and told when eating to remove your cover.

I think in boot camp the few times we ate outside we were reminded to remove our covers, if that helps.

Marines do not eat while covered, even when on duty.

Phantom Blooper
    Guest Free Member
    Your Drill Instructors took off their covers to eat chow and put it back on right before they ran your azz out of the chow hall.

Unless you are in a hot zone full alert take your cover off....even with a duty belt on....while eating chow....unless conducting official business.

Convulsive
    Guest Free Member
    Thanks Marines for all the responses. I thought we did take our covers off but a try hard lcpl got in my face about it the other day so it made me second guess myself.

I got schit on by a crow eating outside behind the San Mateo PX...didn't have my cover on...wish I did...

MCO P1020.34F
    MARINE CORPS UNIFORM REGULATIONS

3004. CAPS/HEADGEAR

c. When outdoors, Marines should remain covered, including during invocations and other religious portions of military ceremonies (i.e., changes of command, ship commissionings, military burials, etc.). Marines will uncover outdoors when so ordered or during religious services not associated with a military ceremony. Chaplains will be guided by the customs of their respective churches with respect to wearing head coverings.

d. Headgear is normally removed indoors. Marines in a duty status and wearing side-arms or a pistol belt will remain covered indoors except when entering a space where a meal is in progress or religious services are being conducted. Headgear will be worn in Government vehicles, and in privately owned vehicles on base, except when doing so would present a hazard to safe driving.

http://www.marcorsyscom.usmc.mil/sit...CH3.htm#UR3004

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by WMarine View Post
    MCO P1020.34F

MARINE CORPS UNIFORM REGULATIONS

3004. CAPS/HEADGEAR

c. When outdoors, Marines should remain covered, including during invocations and other religious portions of military ceremonies (i.e., changes of command, ship commissionings, military burials, etc.). Marines will uncover outdoors when so ordered or during religious services not associated with a military ceremony. Chaplains will be guided by the customs of their respective churches with respect to wearing head coverings.

d. Headgear is normally removed indoors. Marines in a duty status and wearing side-arms or a pistol belt will remain covered indoors except when entering a space where a meal is in progress or religious services are being conducted. Headgear will be worn in Government vehicles, and in privately owned vehicles on base, except when doing so would present a hazard to safe driving.

http://www.marcorsyscom.usmc.mil/sit...CH3.htm#UR3004

I can't find the "Eating Outdoors" Part in that???

Quote Originally Posted by Rhode Island View Post
    I can't find the "Eating Outdoors" Part in that???

Yeah, I know. I just thought I'd post it anyway.

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by WMarine View Post
    Yeah, I know. I just thought I'd post it anyway.

Best as I recall the abbreviated version, indoors or outdoors, was "If Under Arms - covered." (As well as why it was the only time Marines would salute indoors.)

Otherwise, uncovered unless outdoors. (And meal time was SELDOM an authorized under arms situation.)

Remember, I'm drawing on a memory of 50 years ago.

Agreed. While not in regulations 'per se', it's a "Style point" that is enforced starting in Recruit Training. To this day, I remove my cover when eating!

Thread Information