Veteran Status
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Veteran Status

Veteran Status

I was given a medical discharge in 92 because my colars were broken during the pugil stick fight and they determined that it would not heal right with me there so they sent me home. Recently I got some gen info from the local VA office. I never considered myself to be a Vet, because I didn't get to fight. What are the rules around this? Can I get medical benefits from the VA?

Herman -- you need to complete your Bio page so we know more about you.

Furthermore, if you were medically discharged from bootcamp, then you're not a Marine. You will need to change your status on this site from Marine to Marine Friend and read the site rules. We will gladly offer you what information we have on your situation but you need to cleanup the bio.

If I remember correctly, a recruit must serve at least 180 days on active duty before being eligible for VA benefits as a veteran. If you got med-discharged during pugil stick fighting, then it sounds like you were discharged somewhere around late second or early third phase of recruit training. If that is the case, then you most likely are not a veteran by definition that would be eligible for VA benefits.

Did your local VA office tell you that you were a Marine Veteran or did you gather this from the info you received from their office?

Best of luck, and cleanup your bio.

Last edited by Bdchi1; 05-06-10 at 03:07 PM. Reason: Left a phrase out.

The information provided said that a "Medical Discharge" was the equal to "180 days of active duty"...I have not been able to get anyone on the phone which was the reason I am posting this question.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Your second post sounds like a pretty evasive answer to the question posed to you. Did you complete recruit training?

Look at your form DD214..if it lists Character of Discharge (bottom, form MEMBER 4) as UNCLASSIFIED then you are not a veteran, period. If it says anything else, then you must meet the 180 day rule.

I will check my DD214 today for the "unclassified" status to see what it says... As far as completeing the training goes no I did not, they said that the damage was to bad, all I had left was the final O course to complete and they wouldn't even let me try it. Sent me to the fatboy platoon and shipped me out...

Quote Originally Posted by hermangreene View Post
    I will check my DD214 today for the "unclassified" status to see what it says... As far as completeing the training goes no I did not, they said that the damage was to bad, all I had left was the final O course to complete and they wouldn't even let me try it. Sent me to the fatboy platoon and shipped me out...

herman: see the following link to an earlier thread on this site addressing your very same scenario. I hope it helps you.

http://www.quarterback.leatherneck.c...ad.php?t=30749

There is a lot of archived information on this site and if you use the search tool, you can find answers to most of your questions.

Thank you all for the information... I come from a long line of JarHeads who have served in every war... I have never said that I was a Vet as I would not want to dishonor my Fathers that went before me fighting for what they believed in... I brought this question to the table trying to make sense of all the paper work that has only lately started coming to me...

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Hopefully you have just forgotten the training matrix and terminology. Based on your statement that you did not complete training you are not a Marine or a Lance Corporal.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Sounds like to me from what you have said that your not a Marine and I don't know why you say your a LCpl
    Semper Fi Redman

If you were hurt during recruit training and received a medical discharge or any sort of disability rating I believe you're entitled to specific medical coverage at a VA facility relating specifically to the issue that was either service aggravated (implying it was pre-existing) or caused while on active duty.

As in you can't go to the VA for a head cold but you can most likely seek treatment for an issue regarding your collarbones (I'd imagine it's your collarbones according to what you're saying).

You can request copies of your records from the MCRD you attended or have the local VA request copies or get you started in the process. I'd have a DD-214 to show them before I made an inquiry.

Also; PM a mod and ask for your status to be changed to Marine Friend and, change your avatar.

Quote Originally Posted by NoRemorse View Post
    If you were hurt during recruit training and received a medical discharge or any sort of disability rating I believe you're entitled to specific medical coverage at a VA facility relating specifically to the issue that was either service aggravated (implying it was pre-existing) or caused while on active duty.

As in you can't go to the VA for a head cold but you can most likely seek treatment for an issue regarding your collarbones (I'd imagine it's your collarbones according to what you're saying).

You can request copies of your records from the MCRD you attended or have the local VA request copies or get you started in the process. I'd have a DD-214 to show them before I made an inquiry.

Also; PM a mod and ask for your status to be changed to Marine Friend and, change your avatar.
    Correct... if your condition is bad enough, you can (and probably should) file a VA claim for disability.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Good advice NoRemorse
    Semper Fi Redman

Thanks, Buddy.

I'd implore all of us to keep good medical records even if we rarely go to the doctor. Ya never know what might crop up or what documentation you need.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    I got my records from my doctors and I have a folder and I carry them every time to the VA now that I got in. I never give them out I let them make copies
    I even carry my DD214 with me and everything they send me and it works
    Semper Fi Redman

Thread Information