Active duty problem
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Exclamation Active duty problem

Hello and good evening Marines;
    I have a **** day of May 10th to leave active duty 03xx Security Forces. I was extremely excited until my dad threw me out of the house and told mei cannot come home long story short I have spoken to him and he is happier if I go Reserves what is the process of getting an 0311 reserve spot asap ? I have spoken to my recruiter and he said its probably going to be hard maybe someone has some info he may not know or that he may be missing ?
    Thank you
    Poolee Giordano

You have got to f*cking kidding; right? Your dad's going to be happier? What about you. It's your choice, your life.

And why would you think we would know something your recruiter doesn't? He's the one that going to know exactly how hard it's going to be.

First of all, you're 23 years old, do what YOU want to do. May 10th is only 5 days away.

I love watching adults change their whole plan because of their parents. My family has virtually no military history and yes they preferred I went reserves (moreso than that didn't go at all), and fortunately for them, that was my plan anyway. They still had my back in whatever choice as an 18 year old adult made. I just don't get how someone who supposedly loves you kicks you out of the house, threatens to break your knees, etc etc. Parents need to grow up and stop being so self centered and stupid.

Fine somewhere to stay the next 4 days and act like the adult you are and man up to what you want to do. If you have nothing else going on going reserves is going to be a HUGE disservice to you. I'm in college so it works perfect for me. If I wasn't, I'd be miserable. You have a good gig, the 03 slots were hard to come by this year, reserves is full up the wazoo as well. Stay the course.

If your 23 and your dad is just now kicking you out of the house you are making the right decision.

Mike

Well I agree with everyone else. Sounds more like you chickened out and would rather go to reserves yourself. You need to be kicked out and live independently anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Sally View Post
    You need to be kicked out and live independently anyway.
    Yep, pretty old to be living with mom and dad, especially when they're still making critical decisions for your life.

Giordano, do you buy your own underwear?

Thanks Marines for all the help lol yes I do Br34 but when he came home threatening to leave my mother if she supported me and leave my 4 brothers and sisters i just cant leave them knowing that he will do that its a ****ty situation. Im not chickening out I have been in the dep for almost a year and scored top on everything that I have done. This is why I came to use. Hoping that maybe u knew something i didn't or maybe my recruiter overlooked.

You'll be fine, G. He'll be fine. It'll all work out.

Just keep your focus.

How will his sons life be better if he is reserve versus active duty, vs having a son who is active duty and abandoning the entire family. Your father won't actually do that. And if he does, hes a piece of selfish scum who you should punch right in the face being such a lowly sack of crap. Yea, you join the Marines, I'll leave your mom to take care of your brothers and sisters alone. I can almost guarantee they would not still be married if your dad was that person, so I wouldn't worry about it.

BTW, I'm a reservist, when my unit went out in 06 before my time 11 guys never came home. 3/25 (another reserve unit) lost 47 guys when they went out, more than any active or reserve unit. Out of everyone I went to boot and SOI with only 1 active duty kid has been killed, a bunch of reservists are on their way to Afghan right now, half my girlfriends reserve unit is there right now, and I'll be there 12 months from now. Yes time is changing the wars are cooling down, but reserves and active fight and die the same. The optemo on active duty is faster, but right now if you are an 03 on either side of the fence you'll end up overseas one way or another. If you aren't in school, the difference in whether or not you will be on the couch and then go overseas or be in the fleet and then go overseas. That is THE ONLY difference.

Mike

Crazymjb if i do go reserve im going to go to school im not a couch potato i planned on going to school even if i was active so either way im still getting an education so i just have to feel it out. If i said i wasn't scared to go overseas id be lying and so would everyone else but i am ready if i have to. I know my father and he will do it im just trying to keep some kind of peace

You have a shipdate for May 10th, and if you do decide to go reserves and being that you're in the DEP almost a year now, you'll more than likely get dropped from the DEP and have to go through the whole process all over again.
    You really need to have a sit down with your dad and explain to him that this is YOUR decision on going active duty in the Marine Corps. It's what YOU want. Let him know that you already explained this to your mom and your brothers and sisters, and that no matter what you choose to do, they'll survive.
    Any parent who threatens to leave his family because one of his children wants to serve active duty in the military, is only being selfish and thinking of himself.

Okay. I may catch hell for saying this but here goes: If your father is that much of a controlling d!ck, then maybe your mom and siblings are better off without him.

Then your fathers a piece of trash of a man, scratch that, hes not even a man. No man, no half decent person leaves their wife and kids over ANYTHING, especially not something as stupid and trivial as this. SSgt I don't know why you'd catch hell for it. This man is going to abandon all his kids, his wife, his whole family surrounding an issue he doesn't even understand, and even if he did, is still so insignificant (active vs reserves) it would defy all logic. He's willing to do that to prove control over his 23 year old son. I will say again I don't care how well you know your father I have a good degree of confidence he wouldn't do something like that.

Mike

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    I'm trying to find any sort of logic here. You have been in DEP for nearly a year ... meaning you had nearly a year to get this ironed out? 5 days before you ship and it all comes to a head. Really sounds like cold feet to me.

I knew how he would react so I just waited till a week before to officially tell him i was leaving. Realizing he was gonna flip out and " disown " me was ok with me but he turned for the worst when he brought home papers to leave my mother and bros and sisters. I cant have me be the reason that he leaves them even if he is being selfish i put my brothers and sisters before my self. I have a great job planned do u think i really want to leave it to be a reserve ... not really. I figured i would leave he throw his temper tantrum and when i came back he would be either excited or still not talking to me which was fine with me. but when he said if my mother supported me and wrote to me while away he was up and leaving i cant have that happen.

Thread Information