Specific Pilot Vision Question
Create Post

Specific Pilot Vision Question

First, if I am posting this in the wrong forum I apologize.

I have been looking to fly as a pilot for the military regardless of branch for a while now, my question is as follows:

My vision is 20/400 in both eyes with corrections of -4.50 and -4.75 both correctable to 20/20. Having said that I have read tons of information about the vision requirements etc, so please don't answer my question with a cut/paste "Hope this helps" response

So anyways, on to my question, is it possible for me to get a waiver to qualify for LASIK surgery through the Marines to be a pilot if I meet/exceed the other requirements? Also, does anyone know if they do actual LASIK, or PRK-LASIK as there is a HUGE risk difference.

Thanks in advance.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    The military is not going to make you into the 6 million dollar man so you can fly. I have read that you can join after having lasik or prk but there is a waiting healing period of one year.

In short the military is not going to correct your vision so that you can be a pilot.

And there you have it. If you've researched, you pretty well can guess the response. With vision this bad, I'd suggest you consider another MOS choice, because quite frankly, there are literally THOUSANDS of non waiverable folks in front of you, all vying for those very few slots available.

Moved to the more appropriate 'Ask a Marine' forum, as well.

www.airwarriors.com is a forum for naval aviators with a section dedicated to PRK/LASIK waivers

NOMI rules change so often that I think these guys are the best resource for getting the information you need to pin on the gold wings.

Thread Information