what schools do you go to with MOS 0341 (mortarman)
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 18
  1. #1

    what schools do you go to with MOS 0341 (mortarman)

    i was curious about how long my schooling would be and how many i would have to go to and where they would be. I would like to know what i have to do in that MOS exactly. also, i'm signed up to go into the reserves so i was curious about tips on getting accepted into the PLC course.

    currently i have a 300 PFT and i made a 92 on my asvab


  2. #2
    If You Have A 94 On Your Asvab, Why Are You Going To Become A Motor Man? Do Somethin With Your Good Pft And Good Asvab And Get A Good Job, Dont Live Your Entire Life In Bootcamp Counting Off Weapons And Getting Hazzed. I Mean Its Your Life, Go Ahead And Do It, But You Should Consider Your Options With Your Recuiter Before Signing On The Dotted Line. We All Know Motor Men Are In The 03 Field, And The 03 Field Is The "cool" Field To Be In, But Really Its Not.


  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by 3533MOTORT View Post
    If You Have A 94 On Your Asvab, Why Are You Going To Become A Motor Man? Do Somethin With Your Good Pft And Good Asvab And Get A Good Job, Dont Live Your Entire Life In Bootcamp Counting Off Weapons And Getting Hazzed. I Mean Its Your Life, Go Ahead And Do It, But You Should Consider Your Options With Your Recuiter Before Signing On The Dotted Line. We All Know Motor Men Are In The 03 Field, And The 03 Field Is The "cool" Field To Be In, But Really Its Not.
    Yeah, why go 03 when you can spend all day washing mud from the underside of a 7 ton? Or checking the oil on HMMWVs?

    I love when people run their mouths and have no idea what they are talking about...

    As a Mortar man, your first job is obviously going to be learning everything there is to know about Mortars and their employment. As for schools, I can't imagine you going to many other than Mortar Leaders Course, but that wouldn't be for a while. An actual 0341 may be able to confirm that or correct me.

    As far as being a grunt with your ASVAB score, there are lots of smart grunts. Unfortunately there are more dumb ones, which means you will be treated like a dumb ass most of the time and probably feel like you are over educated to be in the job your in at times. If I were you I would also check out being an 0352, 0351, and since your smart and in good shape check out Recon, if you have any interest in it.


  4. #4
    There is always division schools your unit might send you too, but other then that, fs19 is correct, mortar leaders course, and theoretically squad leaders course is about what you can expect.


  5. #5
    And how about filling out all of your profile like it states in the rules in the poolee forum, so the Marines who are going to answer your questions, know who they are talking to.


    Marine Corps Enlisted Job Descriptions
    MOS 0341 - - Mortarman


    Type of MOS : PMOS
    Rank Range: Sgt to Pvt

    Job Description: Mortarmen are responsible for the tactical employment of the 60mm light mortar and the 81mm medium mortar. Mortarmen provide indirect fire in support of the rifle and LARS quads/platoons/companies and the infantry and LAR battalions. They are located in the weapons platoons of the rifle and LAR companies and the weapons company of the infantry battalion. Noncommissioned officers are assigned as mortar gunners, forward observers, fire direction plotters, and squad and section leaders.

    Job Requirements:
    (1) Must possess a GT score of 80 or higher.

    (2) Complete the Mortarman Course at the School of Infantry, East or West.

    http://usmilitary.about.com/od/enlis.../a/0341new.htm


  6. #6
    Some of the smartest people I ever met while in the service were grunts.

    And when you look at the classic books written by Marines (Sledge, Leckie, Manchester, Webb, Uris ) they all seem to be written by grunts.

    Although who does not wish for the next great novel about changing batteries or tires on trucks?

    And think of it this way if you do go 03 you will not be sitting around in 40 years yacking about how you were almost just like a grunt yourself.


  7. #7
    Marine Free Member Quinbo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Ft. Bragg
    Posts
    4,070
    Credits
    14,486
    Savings
    0
    Images
    37
    There is always the every Marine is a rifleman but every Marine can't change a tire argument.


  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by usmcfalcon22 View Post
    i was curious about how long my schooling would be and how many i would have to go to and where they would be. I would like to know what i have to do in that MOS exactly. also, i'm signed up to go into the reserves so i was curious about tips on getting accepted into the PLC course.

    currently i have a 300 PFT and i made a 92 on my asvab
    How is it that you're asking these questions after you've "signed up to go into the reserves..."?

    With an ASVAB score of 92, you should've been smart enough to ask more questions before your recruiter got your signature. Sounds like the recruiter landed a live one.

    I am concerned that you didn't and don't have these answers already. I was an 0351 and I loved it, but on humps, I always felt sorry for that poor bastard humping a base plate or tube or both.

    Get educated on your MOS by researching through the links WMarine provided and others. Never stop educating yourself on your role in the Corps and the roles you want to be in for the Corps. If you don't get into this habit now, you will either be used and abused or forgotten. Neither scenario is good for you.

    Best of luck, and be proud of being a '41. They are tough SOBs and great guys. Nothing like some HE or WP to soften your target.


  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by fs19 View Post
    Yeah, why go 03 when you can spend all day washing mud from the underside of a 7 ton? Or checking the oil on HMMWVs?

    I love when people run their mouths and have no idea what they are talking about...

    As a Mortar man, your first job is obviously going to be learning everything there is to know about Mortars and their employment. As for schools, I can't imagine you going to many other than Mortar Leaders Course, but that wouldn't be for a while. An actual 0341 may be able to confirm that or correct me.

    As far as being a grunt with your ASVAB score, there are lots of smart grunts. Unfortunately there are more dumb ones, which means you will be treated like a dumb ass most of the time and probably feel like you are over educated to be in the job your in at times. If I were you I would also check out being an 0352, 0351, and since your smart and in good shape check out Recon, if you have any interest in it.
    since thats all we do all day long is wash mud off trucks and check oil.... why dont you figure out what YOU are talking about before you go bashing on Motor T....


  10. #10
    well in all honesty i didn't want to be a mortarmen, i really wanted to be a crew chief flight mechanic (which was my original MOS). i've been in the dep since last june and i leave this june, but there were some problems with my paper work in february when they reviewed my file and i was going to get discharged. now see when i turned 18 i could have been able to re-enlist (which i'm sure is what you're thinking to yourself) but i would have had to wait another 9 months before going to boot camp, and i've been waiting for damn near close to a year already so another 9 months was not an option for me, but besides all that BS put aside, there were no more slots open for crew chiefs when i wanted to re-enlist. now at the moment i was praying to god to help me follow the right path for my future so i took that as a sign to just go with the flow. That was when my recruiter offered me the option of switching to reserves so i could keep my enlistment date and go to college, which he thought was better for me anyway cuz he said i was wasting my intelligence and all that other nonsense people who care about you say you know? but the problem with the reserves was that they only had a few select MOS's available for me to join and they were all infantry, but i knew that "every marine is a rifleman" so i didn't want to to be my MOS and i decided to go with mortarman. so thats how i ended up here.

    but if there are some high ranking officers or NCO's out there who are willing to give a stranger some help then i welcome it if not then its alright too, i've wanted to be a marine since i was 10 and its gonna happen no matter what, god willing.


  11. #11
    [quote=WMarine;640670]And how about filling out all of your profile like it states in the rules in the poolee forum, so the Marines who are going to answer your questions, know who they are talking to.


    you're right, i just started this account about 2 days ago so i was going to do it but this is the first time i've gotten on since i actually made my post.

    but truly, i am glad a man of you're rank took the time to look at my post. thank you.


  12. #12
    Again, how about filling out ALL of your profile like it states in the rules in the poolee forum, so the Marines who are going to answer your questions, know who they are talking to.
    Also, when using the word Marines, it will be capitalized at all times.


  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by usmcfalcon22
    but truly, i am glad a man of you're rank took the time to look at my post. thank you.
    Really, what does my avatar say......and did you even bother to look at the pic in my signature or even my profile?


  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by Bulkyker View Post
    There is always the every Marine is a rifleman but every Marine can't change a tire argument.
    ha thank you!!!! i can agree with you on that. i mean honestly, i agree that MAYBE i might be wasting my intelligence, but, think about it, if there's alot of dumb grunts out there isn't there a need for the smart ones as well? otherewise all those dumb grunts would be dead


  15. #15
    oh wow don't i feel like a fool

    i'm so sorry no i didn't look, i was just looking at the qoutes. I know i know... attention to detail. but you did say "My brother Stanley (retired Marine GySgt & Drill Instructor) and myself" and i didn't pay close attention to the pic... sue me


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not Create Posts
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts