Boot camp med. discharge
Create Post

Boot camp med. discharge

Can anyone give advice on the following.
    My younger son was in MCRD SD in spring 2008. He tore 3 ligaments in his ankle, they did not heal. Ultimately he received a discharge. His discharge code simply stated, did not complete boot camp. I heard that if a recruit serves less then 180 days, there is no military record at all, is this true.

Thanks.... Tom

Administrator Platinum Member Rocky C's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    There has to be an RE Code there somewhere.

- .... . / ..-. . .-- --..-- / - .... . / .--. .-. --- ..- -.. --..-- / - .... . / -- .- .-. .. -. . ... .-.-.- .-.-.- .-.-.- .-.-.-

All Marine, All The Time...

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by blusuit5 View Post
    Can anyone give advice on the following.
    My younger son was in MCRD SD in spring 2008. He tore 3 ligaments in his ankle, they did not heal. Ultimately he received a discharge. His discharge code simply stated, did not complete boot camp. I heard that if a recruit serves less then 180 days, there is no military record at all, is this true.

Thanks.... Tom
    Tom,
    Negative. There is always a record. If they serve less than 180 days it is technically an "uncharacterized" discharge. (I know, that's what happened to me) For most intents and purposes it is considered an honorable discharge. I graduated bootcamp, but never made it through SOI due to an ankle injury sustained in bootcamp. On his DD-214 it will likely list his reenlistment code as an RE-3P, meaning physically disabled. He was active duty in the United States military, doesn't matter if he graduated or not. He may not be a Marine, but he is considered a veteran. Get in contact with the DAV (Disabled American Veterans, they usually have an office in the local VA hospital) and they can help him out with the paperwork and his disability rating. Mine was also torn ankle ligaments, I received 10% disability.

Feel free to hit me with any follow up questions.

Thanks

Thanks Hanzo, my sons ankle issue was the same, he tore three ligs in his ankle. However, prior to going into bootcamp at macrd san diego, he twisted his ankle while running. He advised his recruiter of the issue and they delayed his entry by a month and a half. His ankle was good to go prior to going in, however, I believe he jacked it up more on the obstacle course.. Thanks for the info I will forward it to him. If he contacts the VA, will it hurt his chances if they give him a disability of some sort..

Again, thanks for the info.....

No it won't hurt his chances at all. The worst thing people do is don't call around. Sometimes you gotta be a pain in the ass to people to find out what's right and what he needs to do.

Squad Leader Free Member Wyoming's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by blusuit5 View Post
    Thanks Hanzo, my sons ankle issue was the same, he tore three ligs in his ankle. However, prior to going into bootcamp at macrd san diego, he twisted his ankle while running. He advised his recruiter of the issue and they delayed his entry by a month and a half. His ankle was good to go prior to going in, however, I believe he jacked it up more on the obstacle course.. Thanks for the info I will forward it to him. If he contacts the VA, will it hurt his chances if they give him a disability of some sort..

Again, thanks for the info.....
    No offense, but now he/YOU wants the VA to take care of an injury that took place PRIOR to MCRDSD.

Illegitimi Non Carborundum!!

I was discharged from bootcamp in 2008 with what is known as an ELS, an entry level separation. It took a year and some hardwork from the recruiters to deal with the paper work but i re joined the Corps and just graduated Parris Island 2010May07. As long as it wasnt a punitive discharge, it is waiverable. It is true less than 180 days leaves no military record but you still have to say yes when asked on applications if you have ever served in US Military. When asked what kind of discharge, it is ELS entry level separation, which is equivelant to a general discharge. The reason they do the 180 day mark is so you can not obtain veterans benefits. The VA isnt responsible for his medical problem. If the Marine Corps was responsible he would have gone before what is known on the depots as PEB. Its the Physical Evaluation Boards. There are two ways to be phased out of the Corps from recruit training. Recruit separation platoon RSP--for nonhackers and for people who get hurt but the Marine Corps is not liable or responsible for it was a prexisting condition or non training related. The other is PEB, in which case the Corps recognizes the injury as Training related and the Corps is responsible. Hope this helps

Last edited by BrothersKeeper; 05-14-10 at 10:32 AM. Reason: got deleted

Thread Information