Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images

Thumbs up New Sniper Rifle Eyed by The Marine Corps

By Dan Lamothe - Staff writer
    Posted : Tuesday Apr 27, 2010 11:05:09 EDT

Marine officials are weighing options for a new, powerful sniper rifle that could kill enemies 1,500 meters away, and are closely watching a contract competition launched by U.S. Special Operations Command last month for a similar weapon, a top Marine acquisitions official said.

The Marine Corps’ SR21 — short for Sniper Rifle-21st Century — would allow Marine snipers to engage targets nearly a mile away, substantially farther than the 800-meter range of the bolt-action, 7.62mm M40 sniper rifle currently in use. The Corps has worked extensively with SOCom to develop specifications for a precision sniper rifle, but it hasn’t finalized what it will do, said Col. Andrew Bianca, head of infantry weapons acquisitions at Marine Corps Systems Command.

Speaking during an April 6 conference in Baltimore, he told defense contractors that “probably the greatest opportunity you have in building weapons” for the Corps is “in the precision world,” citing the SR21 as an example.

“We haven’t actually nailed down a requirement, but if you’ve been paying attention to SOCom’s PSR requirement that recently hit the street, we have a similar effort underway,” Bianca said. “We have worked very closely with SOCom in terms of developing a precision sniper rifle. We just haven’t finally decided on whether it’s something we want to develop in the short term.”

SOCom issued a formal request for proposals March 26 but declined to release specifications, including caliber requirements, saying details will be issued only to companies registered with the federal government as a trusted small-arms manufacturer.

However, in months leading up to the request, SOCom officials said they were interested in testing a replacement for three bolt-action sniper rifles used by elite special operations teams: the M40, the M24 and the MK13. All are based on the commercial Remington 700 and have a range of less than 800 meters.

SOCom officials also said the PSR should be effective out to 1,500 meters, no longer than 52 inches in full configuration and have no single component longer than 40 inches. It must weigh no more than 18 pounds when loaded with a five-round magazine and a standard rail system, fire factory-produced ammunition and be capable of breaking down into its major components for transportation within two minutes.

The Corps’ need to engage targets out to 1,500 meters dates back to a 2007 assessment of the sniper community. But Chief Warrant Officer 5 Jeffrey Eby, the Corps’ senior gunner, told Marine Corps Times late last year that while the new rifle would offer the service a “significant capability,” it should not be adopted until training processes are improved for using the M40.

Leaders in the sniper community countered that Marine snipers meet training requirements set by the Corps, and that 7.62mm rounds are insufficient to engage targets past 800 meters. They also noted that a two-man Marine team using the M40 finished first in two joint sniper marksmanship competitions held last year, beating several Special Forces teams.

Several popular gun makers already advertise sniper rifles that can engage out to 1,500 meters. Remington, for example, began selling a new modular sniper rifle last year, saying it could be chambered for rounds ranging from the .300 Winchester Magnum to standard 7.62mm NATO to the .338 Lapua Magnum, the latter of which is considered among the likely choices at long ranges. Desert Tactical Arms unveiled its Stealth Recon Scout rifle in 2008, that rifle can be chambered for rounds as large as the .338 Lapua Magnum.

Twelve companies have expressed interest formally in the SOCom competition. They include FN Herstal USA, Barrett Firearms USA and Desert Tactical Arms.

yellowwing
    Guest Free Member
    "They also noted that a two-man Marine team using the M40 finished first in two joint sniper marksmanship competitions held last year, beating several Special Forces teams." - Ohh-rahh!

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by yellowwing View Post
    "They also noted that a two-man Marine team using the M40 finished first in two joint sniper marksmanship competitions held last year, beating several Special Forces teams." - Ohh-rahh!

Don't they use one of the .50 cal bolt guns as a sniping rifle? I imagine that has some range. I remember the MA duece had a scope mount for it.

They use the M40A3 Lapua Sniper rifle now....no they don't use the .50 caliber rifle as of yet or if ever.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    "One Shot One Kill"

If they increase the range any more, it will be nothing more than spotting for a drone or piloted aircraft, with something a lot more powerful than round of lead.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Where did the barret go?

barret is still out there in use...at least it was two years ago as my brother in law was a DM in LAR and had one last deployment

Marine Free Member AAV Crewchief's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Jim View Post
    They use the M40A3 Lapua Sniper rifle now....no they don't use the .50 caliber rifle as of yet or if ever.
    The Marines don't but other armed forces do. The record for the longest sniper rifle kill is now held by a Canadian Army sniper who took down a target in Astan back in 2002 from over 2500 meters. This was a show on the Military History Channel just a couple of weeks ago or if you are "in the know" you already KNEW.

Oooooops....2300 meters...my bad.

Deployment
    Two Canadian snipers of the same Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry (PPCLI) regiment sniper team made the longest recorded sniper kills in history with this weapon in Afghanistan, during Operation Anaconda, in the Shah-i-Kot Valley. On a March afternoon in 2002, Master Corporal Arron Perry killed an enemy combatant from 2,310 meters (2,526 yd/1.435 miles) and Corporal Rob Furlong killed an enemy combatant from 2,430 meters (2,657 yd/1.509 miles) with 750 grain Hornady A-MAX very-low-drag bullets.[2][3] This is the longest-ever recorded kill by a sniper in combat, surpassing the mark of 2,286 meters (2,500 yd/1.420 miles) set by U.S. Marine Gunnery Sergeant Carlos Hathcock during the Vietnam War.[4][5][6] The five-man Canadian sniper team — MCpl Graham Ragsdale (Team Commander), MCpl Tim McMeekin, MCpl Arron Perry, Cpl Dennis Eason, and Cpl Rob Furlong — killed over 20 enemy combatants, and each of the five was nominated for the Bronze Star Medal.

I have been told of a new round .408 but have not been able to locate any info has any one seen or herd of it?

Quote Originally Posted by hbharrison View Post
    I have been told of a new round .408 but have not been able to locate any info has any one seen or herd of it?
    Its the .408 Cheytac, nice little round with an outstanding ballistic coefficient. Kinda speciality though.

Whether Marines deploy with the .50 Barrett, I couldn't say, but I've seen them with the rifles at Camp Pendleton training.

Edit to add: As for the M40A3 "Lapua", can someone confirm this? Lapua is a brand name and is usually used in conjunction with the .338 Lapua round. The M40A3 WAS always chambered in .308, but I suppose they might have changed it. Though it seems like it'd be difficult to do seeing as how the original M40 were chambered in a short action and the .338 would require a long action.

Quote Originally Posted by AAV Crewchief View Post
    The Marines don't but other armed forces do. The record for the longest sniper rifle kill is now held by a Canadian Army sniper who took down a target in Astan back in 2002 from over 2500 meters. This was a show on the Military History Channel just a couple of weeks ago or if you are "in the know" you already KNEW.

Oooooops....2300 meters...my bad.

Deployment
    Two Canadian snipers of the same Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry (PPCLI) regiment sniper team made the longest recorded sniper kills in history with this weapon in Afghanistan, during Operation Anaconda, in the Shah-i-Kot Valley. On a March afternoon in 2002, Master Corporal Arron Perry killed an enemy combatant from 2,310 meters (2,526 yd/1.435 miles) and Corporal Rob Furlong killed an enemy combatant from 2,430 meters (2,657 yd/1.509 miles) with 750 grain Hornady A-MAX very-low-drag bullets.[2][3] This is the longest-ever recorded kill by a sniper in combat, surpassing the mark of 2,286 meters (2,500 yd/1.420 miles) set by U.S. Marine Gunnery Sergeant Carlos Hathcock during the Vietnam War.[4][5][6] The five-man Canadian sniper team — MCpl Graham Ragsdale (Team Commander), MCpl Tim McMeekin, MCpl Arron Perry, Cpl Dennis Eason, and Cpl Rob Furlong — killed over 20 enemy combatants, and each of the five was nominated for the Bronze Star Medal.
    Yeah man...that shot was something else.....I do have a sniper shot on video i tried to post....it wasn't this longest sniper shot but it was over 1500 meters...all the stars must have aligned on that day for him to make that shot...!!!

I think this is Barret...not sure if its downrange though

Cheytac .408 and Barret .416

Quote Originally Posted by Hanzo View Post
    Its the .408 Cheytac, nice little round with an outstanding ballistic coefficient. Kinda speciality though.

Whether Marines deploy with the .50 Barrett, I couldn't say, but I've seen them with the rifles at Camp Pendleton training.

Edit to add: As for the M40A3 "Lapua", can someone confirm this? Lapua is a brand name and is usually used in conjunction with the .338 Lapua round. The M40A3 WAS always chambered in .308, but I suppose they might have changed it. Though it seems like it'd be difficult to do seeing as how the original M40 were chambered in a short action and the .338 would require a long action.
    Tryed to down load some web on both they are also talking about the .338 and the 300 Win Mag from what I saw both the .408 and .416 are good shooting weapons but it all comes down to how well trained the shooter is 50% gun 50% shooter. Time will tell hope they pic the right one.

Thread Information