Sub Unit 1 Camp Fuji Permanent Permanent Personnel- Tanks and Tracks
Create Post
    Marine Free Member AAV Crewchief's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings

Sub Unit 1 Camp Fuji Permanent Permanent Personnel- Tanks and Tracks

Anyone on forum stationed there? I was there from May 83 to March 84 when they shut it down for awhile. What a good place to be stationed!

I was station on fuji when they had the fire with 2/4 I was with 3/4 India co. I then returned and with cssd 31.

Marine Free Member AAV Crewchief's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    The fire was in 1979 right? That was a bit before my time.

was there in 73-74 for training with F 2/12

I was stationed there for a little while around 1992, somewhere in there. we were doing construction work all over the base. I was there with 3rd CEB

Was on the hill with VMO-2, Sub Unit 1. It was a tent camp back then in '62. My favorite duty station!

Quote Originally Posted by AAV Crewchief
    The fire was in 1979 right? That was a bit before my time.
    Oct 19th 1979.

81s plt lost alot of Marines.

I was there 99,00,01 as a deployed grunt- 4 deployments.

02,03,04 and 05 as permanent personnel.

There was a retired Gunny that was with Sub 1 and he worked on the base and recently left there. Gunny Baker was his name.

The old Sub 1 spot is now the Motor T pool.

I did guard duty at the old spot when the base still had some dirt road and more than 3 quoset huts. Stayed in those also.

I have alot of pics from my years there even the transformation of the base in 2002.

S/F<
    CEYA!

Hey can you post any pictures from 1980? There abouts? The stories I could tell....

Sub Unit 1, 3d Tanks 1975-78

Before it was Sub Unit 1, 1st Track Vehicle Bn, it was B Co., 3d Tanks. 3d Tanks was based out of Camp Hansen, Okinawa and later moved up to Camp Schwab where it became incorporated into 1st Track Vehicle Bn., B Co., 3d Tanks was relocated to 29 Palms. I remember 6 tanks being left at Camp Fuji which became Sub Unit 1.

There were only two m51 recovery vehicles in the entire 3d MarDiv and B Co. at Camp Fuji had the only operational one in the entire 3d MarDiv. We had a MSgt. who knew his stuff and I used to teach English conversation to the Japanese Self Defense Force officers and staff at Fuji Schools. The MSgt. came along with me on one of those trips and noticed an old M4 Sherman which the JSDF was planning to get rid of. Through contacts, we were able to "borrow" some parts off of it and use it in the M51 to get it working.

Through my contacts I made in my English conversation classes at Fuji Schools, we were able to get ranges at the last minute because battalion back at Okinawa never gave us enough advance notice of when the next training platoon was coming up. I used to get my ass chewed out by the range control officer at Base Camp for overstepping his authority by asking the JSDF officer without him in the loop. Our OIC would always run interference for me.

I had a friend in the JSDF, by the name of Takemura who we call Gunny Takemura, who I would wheel and deal with trading cases of C rats for things like silhouette targets for pistol qualification because we could never get what we needed in time from battalion back in Okinawa.

I left Camp Fuji in the same year that big fire occurred. The BLT always placed their fuel bladders and tanks off to the side above a open field but I learned that instead they decided to place their fuel bladders and fuel tanks up hill above the huts that year. During a bad typhoon one or several of the fuel bladders or tanks got knocked down causing hundreds of gallons of fuel to spill onto the volcanic ash which then flooded through the huts which had kerosene heaters running to keep them warm.

I arrived at Fuji in the first part of 1975 as a PFC and left in the first part of 1978 as a Sgt. Some who served at Sub Unit 1 during that time might remember me as "Mush."

Sub Unit 1 Photos

This photo was taken when the Marine Corps went from green sateens to camouflage. I think it was around 1977. We had the uniforms but the covers were still green.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG00012Enhanced (2).jpg‎
Views:	10
Size:	23.0 KB
ID:	34567  

Thread Information