paging all MPs
Create Post

Thread: paging all MPs

Exclamation paging all MPs

Well I'm looking into reenlisting into the Marine Corp as an MP . I would like to hear from some of the MP members on this forum . I have some questions :

I will be reenlisting as an E-5 i don't know if that matters .

1)What is a normal MP work Schedule ?

2)How many mp are deployed ? ( i was with 2nd tanks and we only deploy 1 PLT at a time which is about 20 marines . )

3)Do you rotate from the gate to corrections to patrolling in the vehicles or is it just one post for 4 years?

4)How often do they have SRT in-docs ? or is this a secondary MOS that must be acquired by reenlisting after 4 years ?

5)what is the SRT
    in-doc if there is one ?

6) Is there time for college courses on this job ?

7) What kind of effect does this job have on your wife/Family ( for the married ) ?

8)Were are the SRT units stationed ?

Please guys just answer the questions if you were an MP , thanks .

thanks in advance . Semper Fi

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    MPs don't do corrections. That is a separate MOS within the 5800 field. MPs might do POW handling and guarding in a combat zone, but that's a different ball game.

Schedules depend on the base, whether you are Base PMO or Division MPs, what your specific duties are, a whole host of things. When I was at division, we mostly worked a normal duty day and week (field exercises, etc, excluded). At Base PMO, I worked patrol shifts with different hours and days off.

As a sergeant, you probably won't stand gates. You'll be a road patrol, road supervisor, desk sergeant, training, or something more suitable to your rank. You might be put in charge of the gate section. Duties change at the bosses whim, or you can ask for specific assignments within the unit - just like any unit.

MPs assigned to Base PMO do not deploy. MPs assigned to fleet units do. I think MEUs take a platoon, but the whole bloody battalion could be sent somewhere in a group. A caveat: Fleet MPs can be, and often are, assigned to their home base PMO on FAP. However, you could be yanked right back for a deployment.

Every base with a PMO probably has a SRT. SRT indocs are run locally as needed (or last I heard).

You're in the Marine Corps during wartime. Time for college depends on your exact assignment. Time for family is the same.

Police work is police work. It's a 24/7/365 job. You might work holidays when other units have 72s/96s, including Christmas, etc. A lot of single MPs, not on leave, often volunteered to cover Christmas for as many married guys as possible when I was in. That may still be the case. Those were days when you might see a sergeant or two working gates.

Again, it all depends on your specific assignment. If you work patrol, you might catch holiday duty. If you're in a M-F, 8-5 admin job, you might get a 96, or whatever.

Cool . thanks for the reply .

Can you decide wether you are Base PMo or Fleet ? or is that by demand ?

do you think they will send me to Ft Lost-in-tha-woods to train for 5811 or will i OJT since im Motor T 3531.

You would have to go to MOS school for this. You would be stuck in Ft Lost-in-the-woods for a while and that is not a place that I would want to be stuck.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Like CplNelly said, off to MP school you'd go. As an NCO, you'd probably end up the class leader, and probably not screwed with as much as the newbies.

As far as PMO or fleet, like any other assignment - the needs of the Corps, etc. You can ask, but you know that goes. Most base PMOs are actually understaffed and depend on FAP to fill out many positions.

When I was in the 1stMarDiv MP Company, I asked to go FAP and I was allowed to go since there was an opening available. MP was my secondary MOS, 3531 being my primary. There were a lot of infantry and artillerymen FAP to PMO as well since the division MP company couldn't fill all the slots and still support the division's mission. As it was, probably half of the company was FAP anyway at any given time.

anyone else have any more input ?

Thread Information