living off base while stationed overseas?
Create Post

living off base while stationed overseas?

Hey All,
    I am a Marine fiance and I know Marines can live off base with their girlfriends/fiance in the US but are they able to do this while stationed over seas, like in Japan?

You'll only get off-base housing if all on-base housing is unavailable.

For higher ranking Marines, you might be able to get a place out in town if on-base housing on your specific base is unavailable. If you're lower ranking, they might just throw you in housing on a different base than where you work, if the base where you work is full up.

Oh, and as a note, you'd need to be actually married. If you're still a fiancee at the point your husband goes overseas, you're pretty much SOL.

Thanks thats what I was afraid of. I guess Ill have to wait another 1-2 months to find out if he is getting stationed at Camp Lejeune or in Okinowa Japan... heres to NC!

Mwetherill, kudos to you for being engaged and looking out for your Marine. I remember what it was like being a fiancee and not knowing what to expect.

The fact of the matter of Marines living off-base with their girlfriends/fiancees stateside isn't necessarily true for lower ranking members of the Corps. While they may be able to do whatever they want as far as where they sleep at night, they will probably be required to maintain their own barracks room--unless they've reached a certain rank... or depending on their command. MOST Jr grade Marines are not allowed to live off base unless they are Married... if they do, they are required to do so without BAH.

As far as being overseas, you can't be told where you can or can't live. If you choose to move to Okinawa on your own dime, then have at it! He will doubtfully be allowed to live off base, but I'm sure as explained earlier, he could probably sleep where he chose to, as long as he kept up with his responsibilities and as long as his command was OK with it.

Do you guys have a wedding date yet?

Also, you really need to fill out your profile (Forum Rules) AND change your status to "Marine Friend" since you are NOT married, you are not his spouse--you can PM a moderator to get this changed.

I know that feels like a low blow, but it's the rules.

<3

Thread Information