questions about mos: 1812
Create Post
    Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

questions about mos: 1812

Hello Marines. First off when I joined this website I was not a poolee but I recently enlisted and was wondering how to change from Marine friend to poolee. Also if anybody has or has had or knows anything about 1812 m1a1 tank crewman I'd like to know some things. I recently enlisted to this mos as a reserve. Considering I am successful in boot camp and training I'd like to know things such as what I will be doing on drill weekends, is this mos fun, and what I may be doing when deployed since I hear tanks aren't being used much now. My ship date is Oct.18 and my duty station will be Jacksonville NC. Also I enlisted reserves because I am helping my parents with 2 family businesses and plan to run them one day but wanted to be part of the USMC, but if something happens and I want to go AD how hard will it be and will I be able to keep my job or switch if I don't like it? Thank you and replies will be appreciated. Sorry for posting this in the wrong forum but I can't figure out how to switch to poolee.

You'll have to send a message to an admin to get your status changed.

As far as the rest of the stuff, I'm not the person to ask, haha.

Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Thank you and more replies wil be appreciated.

I was not a tanker, nor did I stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night, but, there was a documentary awhile back on USMC Tanker school on the Discovery Channel that I'd be willing to bet wouldn't be too hard to get ahold of. It took part during 9/11 (literally, they were halfway through the school when the planes hit the towers) so some things might have changed, but I think it'd be a good place to start.

But, hey, you get to ride around in an air conditioned war palace and blow sh!t up, can't be that bad.

im with Alpha Co. at Pendleton, and it depends on your company's schedule on what your doing. with my company we do alot of PMCS (perventative maintenance checks and services) on the tanks, PT, gunnery (which you do every year to qualify for score and combat readiness), TCGST (which is doing qual's on crew evacuation, machine gun qual, and a laundry list of other things) overall i love it. wish i would of went active duty in the first place but i had a really good job at the time and than was laid off 2 weeks before i joined. as far as going active duty with tanks......good luck, i talked to the higher ups at battalion and if your a Cpl and above you might have a chance. as far as switching because you dont like tanks.....good luck with that also trying to do a LAT move to another MOS, other than that your screwed. also if you deploy youll have a 99.9% chance of going as infantry. since the USMC has only a handful of Marines in iraq as advisors, mentors, trainers, etc. and having afghanistan being grunt country there is no need for tanks in that country. the only tracked vehicles the USMC has in afghanistan is the ABV's (assault breaching vehicle) which is basically an m1a1 without a main gun, 1-.50 cal, and MCLC's but only engineers use those. if you got anymore questions message me and ill do my best to answer them.

Thread Information