Not sure on career after 1st term of enlistment
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Not sure on career after 1st term of enlistment

I DEPed in Jan of this scheduled to ship on Sept, 7 and the question I have is kinda odd, I'm wondering if after a first term of enlistment if I would be able to switch branches to the Navy(to go to BUD/s), I'm torn in that my great-uncle served in the Marine Corps and was fleet boxing champ and I really love every aspect of Marine Corps tradition, but then again, I've wanted to go to BUD/s(like my dad) at Coronado since I was in 5th grade.

Yes, you will be able to go to the Navy, as long as they will have you.

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    You're Right, That is an ODD Question!!!

Why don't you take one thing at a time and first see if you are Able to "Earn the Title" of a " United States Marine"...

My biggest fear is whether or not people will get ****ed at my choice and lose respect for me, I think that being a Marine for 4 years would prepare me sufficiently for BUD/s

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Do what you gotta do. It's your life......

But, " Once A Marine, Always A Marine "

Can't take that away from YOU..........

What the hell do you care if people get ****ed at you? Do what you think is best. And as far as losing respect, that's only going to happen if you're a punk. If your **** is hot, people will respect you. If you're a ****bird, people wont. Clear as day.

I just solved your whole life dilemma in one paragraph.

Quote Originally Posted by codeman92190 View Post

I just solved your whole life dilemma in one paragraph.
    Because you are a rock star.

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by tdrt View Post
    Because you are a rock star.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W2MaQof-hkk

Quote Originally Posted by JoshIryshe
    My mos is Security Forces: what will I do?
    My mos is Security Forces and Im wondering if anyone knows the main things I will be doing, as my recruiter said it is highly likely I will deploy to Afghanistan and I was wondering if I have to try out for FAST platoons or what, my recruiter didn't elaborate on that explicitly.
    Since you posted this question in the poolee forum, and Marines aren't allowed to post there, do a search on the site as Security Forces has been covered before. You may also want to google Marine Corps Security Forces too.
    Show some initiative on your part by doing a search either on Leatherneck or the internet before asking questions.

Be advised that if you fail at BUD/S you will be dropped into a generic Navy MOS (I know the Navy doesn't have "MOS's," but I can't remember what they use) with little or not choice in the matter.

If you serve your four years and EAS from the Marine Corps, then yes you can choose Navy. Bear in mind that a Marine going out for another service does not have to go through their basic training, but a Sailor/Soldier/Airmen who wants to become a Marine still has to go through our boot camp.

On the security forces thing, Ive looked and no one has been able to tell me how to get in a FAST platoon

Answer

Josh,

Your best bet is to wait until you are in the FMF. When that happens ask your NCO's how to get into a fast platoon. They will either tell you to go **** yourself or give you a answer. The point being make it through bootcamp, combat training, and your MOS school before worrying about making it into a FAST platoon.

Why join the Corp?

If I was concerned about an MOS, or having an easy time in the service, or what I was going to do when I got out of the service I would have joined any other service than the Marine Corp. I wanted to be the best and stand for my country in a fight. We always need to fight for freedom. To desire anything other than being an 0311 etc. is not what the Corp is about. Sure in the Corp we have other MOSs but that is an "aw shucks" type of thing. We do what we are told to do. I am proud to be a combat marine and I will carry that heritage the rest of my life. I was privileged to be given an 0311 MOS ( I really wanted to be a machine gunner) but you know what I mean.

JoshIryshe, like Moderboater said, get through boot camp, MCT/SOI training and your MOS school first.

Stevefretz, not to be a smart a$$ or anything, but it's Corps, not Corp.

I know that, but I was shot through the elbow and I have a problem hitting the proper letters, esp the s as you noticed. My fingers just don't work the way they use to. I usually go over what I type and use the other hand to add s' and a' steve

Thread Information