A good knife - Page 2
Create Post
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: A good knife

Thread moved. No worries, and not a bad question, either.

However, I'd ask a few things prior to getting a knife....

1: What does your Marine friend do? Infantry? Admin? Mortars?

2: Does he need something specialized, or general?

3: A K-Bar is good for a bunch of things, including digging, cutting, etc. It's a good, all around work knife.

4: BFK's (Big Frakkin Knives) look cool but most of the time aren't really 'functional' per se, in the field. A good Gerber or other style of 'multi-tool' is sometimes better, and more useful, than a BFK. Again, it depends on what the Marine is doing, and will be doing.

A KABAR Marine Combat knife is the ticket. Make sure it's a real one. I carried one with me for 20 years everywhere I went. Never let me down.

Agreed. I still have mine, BTW. But who knows what the kid really needs, ya know?

Well a KABAR is about a ten inch fighting knife that is actually designed to kill a person. They are illegal to carry on your body or vehicle in most states. But if you're a Marine in the field, you can have no better tool. You can dig, cut down trees, find mines, rope it to a stick and make a spear out of it or whatever. It has innumerable uses and no way you're gonna break it. If you want a good legal carry knife, I would buy a Kershaw or a Victorinox Swiss Army Knife.

Marines,
    Thank you for the replies.
    My friend is 03xx. So he wants a good knife as his last resort weapon. But I figured he would also be using more often as a tool. I wasn't going to get him some huge rambo knife that only looks cool. I want to get him something that he will use alot and that will be reliable.

Here are a couple I had been considering

https://www.kabar.com/product/produc...itary/Tactical

https://www.kabar.com/product/produc...itary/Tactical

I have three knives that I use almost daily. First being my Ka-Bar, its beat up, most of the blade coating is worn off, and it has a bend in it from very repetative wacking. However still a strong knife, and would never get rid of it. My carry knifes are as Lep said, a Gerber Profile, and a Leatherman Kick. Yeah people knock multi-tools, like my Leatherman. I'll say this much it was one of the best investments I ever made. I use it more than one would imagine. Its easier sometimes to use the Leatherman, instead of going out to my garage and rummiging through my toolbox.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    KA-BAR-"EXTREME"-or KA-BAR-"Next Generation"...Wish they made the Gerber RECOIL multi tool,auto Plier w/a bunch of Different screw driver heads that comes in the pouch...I own and use alot NOW...It would have been alot easier than using my P-38...

Thanks for the tips Marines...
    Sounds like ka-bar is the way to go.
    My dad and I are going to go out looking for one and I'll post the final result on here.

Marines,
    Here is the knife that I ended up getting for my friend.
    It's a little bit smaller than what I was originally looking for but it looks like a good knife.

http://www.benchmade.com/products/140
    model 140sbksn

Still have my Ka Bar from Nam (68-69) and loaned to son-in-law (Army) for a tour in Afghanistan. Came back in good shape. Should be enough info one what to get him.

I do highly recommend the traditional knife but get him an updated kydex sheath. SIL gave it back in the new sheath. A lot more durable than the leather sheath I had in Nam. But saddle soap keeps that old bugger in good shape.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Check out Behring Made Knives he does some Tactical New Age Blades 4 the Active Duty people Now...Does some pretty neat Campaign Ribbon Color handles which is Pretty Unique 2 S/F

Gerber LMF II is a great knife. I literally owe my life to it. Not to overshadow the Ka-bar, the blade thickness of the LMF along with the heavy duty skull splitter on the bottom make it incredibly durable.

I love my Ka-Bar, but depending on the task, it's pretty impractical as a tool for tasks that don't involve thrusting it into the soft squishy bits of people.

Ultimately, the task should dictate the tool. For a good, all around use tool, a Leatherman is gonna be hard to beat. The only issue I have with muti-tools is that the knife blades tend to leave a little bit to be desired, so I usually end up carrying a Leatherman and a small fixed blade of some sort like a Mora. If it's a folding knife he wants I'm a huge fan of the Ken Onion designed Kershaw assisted openers. I have a Kershaw Leek and two different Blur's that I love. Kershaw is made in the US and are warrantied for life. Their customer service is second to none as well.

I'm also planning to be on Marine.

Baker1971
    Guest Free Member
    What ???

Thread Information