Fitness Question - Page 2
Create Post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Everybody's body metabolism is different when going through boot camp/recruit training...some lose weight, some gain weight and some stay the same. And don't try to eat as little as possible or starve yourself during boot camp/recruit training either. Your Drill Instructors will not take to that to kindly. Boot camp/recruit training is both physically and mentally demanding on the body, so you need to eat to fuel your body and drink to stay hydrated.

I don't plan on starving myself, that wouldn't do anything except hurt my PFT score and day to day routine during boot. As off topic as this is I've always kind of looked forwards to gaining weight during MCRD, I was just worried about increased body mass, whether its muscle or not, would be detrimental in any way shape or form to my overall PFT performance.

I went from 10 pull ups, 77 crunches and an 11:42 run on the IST at boot. to 16 pullups 100 crunches and a 19:59 3 mile for my final PFT. Don't do any of this bull**** dieting, loading up on protein powder, or any other drastic health changes. You will get in shape at boot camp. Believe me.

I was 6'2 200 pounds when i shipped and I came out of there at a whopping 170. Cut.

If you are within the weight limits for your height and can pass all of the IST events, just keep working out how you've been doing. Don't change your diet (except remove soda and fast food, etc.), Don't do anything different. Boot camp will get you where you want to be.

As for gaining weight... probably not. The sheer fact that you are on you feet for the majority of the 16 hour day, not to mention the pt, combat conditioning and IT'ing will cause you to lose weight. In our platoon, only the extremely skinny ones gained weight because they had really no muscle mass.

Bottom line: don't go trying to become some cut bodybuilding fanatic before boot camp. If you aren't one already, you won't become one in what 3 months till you ship to boot? Just keep going the way your are going. up the pullups and crunches per day and you'll do fine.

Ah, thank you Capital M. I was kind of worried about loading up on muscle mass to the point where I WAS doing it for a bit. I'll keep that in mind!

Thread Information