Are the numbers correct for non-03xx Selection for Marsoc? - Page 2
Create Post
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    If I were to go Marsoc, I would be interested in the Special Operations Intelligence Battalion, that's right up my alley. That's a good plan to have though, once you're in the command and working for them, you may get a second shot or something else may open up that you are into.

Competition is keen. I've pre-screened dozens of Marines from our command, and none have been selected.

Quote Originally Posted by 00101010 View Post
    There are other paths though, myself for example, I have orders to MSOSG as sort of a backup plan to becoming a CSO (I did this on a recommendation from a MARSOC recruiter "just in case"). I will check in a little more then a month before I go to A&S, and if I am not selected I could still end up at one of the BNs, just not as a CSO. (don't know what the hell I would be, as long as I would be in a fight somewhere)
    Now I wonder if someone can get orders to MSOSG as a lat move. Say I'm a Comms guy, don't get selected but have orders to MSOSG. Now MSOSG is expecting to have you for their mission. You turn around a year or so later and ask for another shot as selection. What happens then?

Quote Originally Posted by rheinmark187 View Post
    Now I wonder if someone can get orders to MSOSG as a lat move. Say I'm a Comms guy, don't get selected but have orders to MSOSG. Now MSOSG is expecting to have you for their mission. You turn around a year or so later and ask for another shot as selection. What happens then?
    I am not understanding what you are asking here.

Another note, I did write my sponsor and explain what I was trying to do because I was worried that, like you said, MSOSG would be expecting to have me in their unit, and not allow me to leave to become a CSO if I were selected. He said it was not like that, and that you are able to move around within MARSOC.

I am not understanding what you are asking here.

Another note, I did write my sponsor and explain what I was trying to do because I was worried that, like you said, MSOSG would be expecting to have me in their unit, and not allow me to leave to become a CSO if I were selected. He said it was not like that, and that you are able to move around within MARSOC.
    I didn't edit my post properly. I started with a scenario where someone is a grunt and decides to do a lat move to something like supply or comms, with the intention of working for MSOSG for a year then taking another crack at selection. I should have edited out the lat move part to simplify, seeing as that would introduce a 2nd hypothetical scenario.

But that does get me wondering, are EOD or 0211 allowed to try out for CSO? Is there a time period that the Marine Corps wants out of you before allowing you to change again? I would guess EOD and HumInt are only a rung or two lower on the priority ladder than a CSO.

I didn't edit my post properly. I started with a scenario where someone is a grunt and decides to do a lat move to something like supply or comms, with the intention of working for MSOSG for a year then taking another crack at selection. I should have edited out the lat move part to simplify, seeing as that would introduce a 2nd hypothetical scenario.
    So the grunt already attended A&S and was not selected, but really wants to become a CSO, so he LAT moves so that he can get orders to MSOSG and try again later? If that is what you mean I don't really see the point in that. I also don't know the rules as far as if you HAVE to be invited back to A&S to do it again, or if you can just submit to go again later on your own.

But that does get me wondering, are EOD or 0211 allowed to try out for CSO? Is there a time period that the Marine Corps wants out of you before allowing you to change again? I would guess EOD and HumInt are only a rung or two lower on the priority ladder than a CSO.
    I was told there are three MOS's that MARSOC was REALLY in need of, Intel, EOD and Comm. A CSO is a CSO. All CSO's go though the A&S and ITC at least, (it is past that that I am confused on, like if a POG gets to go to Jump and Scuba, I would guess it is based on the Team you are assigned to and what training they want you to have) I don't think there are some CSO's on lower rungs from others.

Your "rung" talk did remind me they do have different levels within MARSOC; CSO, DCS, CSS.

CSO; you know what that is.

DCS is a list of specific MOS's that work closely with the CSO's and deploy with them. (I currently fall under this category)
    0211, 0212, 0231, 0241, 0261, 0291
    0326, 0331, 0341, 0351, 0369
    0612, 0619, 0621, 0627, 0629, 0648, 0651, 0659, 0681, 0689, 0699
    2621, 2631, 2651, 2671, 2673, 2674, 2691
    5811, 5812

CSS Marines may have the opportunity to deploy dependent upon mission requirements; however, they are not required to attend A&S.(from the MARSOC site)

So the grunt already attended A&S and was not selected, but really wants to become a CSO, so he LAT moves so that he can get orders to MSOSG and try again later? If that is what you mean I don't really see the point in that. I also don't know the rules as far as if you HAVE to be invited back to A&S to do it again, or if you can just submit to go again later on your own.

I was told there are three MOS's that MARSOC was REALLY in need of, Intel, EOD and Comm. A CSO is a CSO. All CSO's go though the A&S and ITC at least, (it is past that that I am confused on, like if a POG gets to go to Jump and Scuba, I would guess it is based on the Team you are assigned to and what training they want you to have) I don't think there are some CSO's on lower rungs from others.
    That tells me EOD, low-density language Cryptoanalysts and 0211 are probably people that won't be getting orders cut to A&S but are definitely welcome in MARSOC. I'll bet the Crypto guys can probably get orders on their Next Enlistment after the Marine Corps has gotten some time out of them lol. I'm sure that the MSOB will love having them and their language capabilities on the team.

I'm almost done with school and I'm looking at the Marine Corps again. If the path to 0211 was as cut and dry for the Marine Corps as it is for the Army, I would already be working on getting back in. 35M isn't exactly the same as 0211, but it's got most of what I want. Not too thrilled about having to wear a beret though. They look awesome on a Ranger or Special Forces, other than that I don't like em

That tells me EOD, low-density language Cryptoanalysts and 0211 are probably people that won't be getting orders cut to A&S but are definitely welcome in MARSOC. I'll bet the Crypto guys can probably get orders on their Next Enlistment after the Marine Corps has gotten some time out of them lol. I'm sure that the MSOB will love having them and their language capabilities on the team.

I'm almost done with school and I'm looking at the Marine Corps again. If the path to 0211 was as cut and dry for the Marine Corps as it is for the Army, I would already be working on getting back in. 35M isn't exactly the same as 0211, but it's got most of what I want. Not too thrilled about having to wear a beret though. They look awesome on a Ranger or Special Forces, other than that I don't like em
    Have you spoken to a MARSOC recruiter about your situation? When I try and ask specifics I just got told all I need to be worried about right now is A&S, make it though that, and then you can ask questions about being a CSO.

Have you spoken to a MARSOC recruiter about your situation? When I try and ask specifics I just got told all I need to be worried about right now is A&S, make it though that, and then you can ask questions about being a CSO.
    Marsoc would be way down the road for me, getting 0211 is difficult as is. If I could get 0211 as a reservist, I would do that and go to work as a civilian here in D.C. If I didn't get that MOS, I wouldn't want to spend 1 second more in the military. For me, it's about the MOS, I wouldn't be happy doing something else.

The reason I brought up this thread was because a friend of mine tried out for Marsoc and wasn't selected. I don't know what the process is like for enlisted people, but I know this guy had to get a bunch of LoR and other things to get orders for A&S. I don't know any of the details other than he wasn't selected and isn't with MARSOC.

In your situation, have you visited Shadowspear.com? or Socnet.com? There are a handful of posters from Marsoc who comment regularly. They don't post too many specifics due to Opsec and Persec, but you can probably get more information from them in PM once they are certain who they are speaking with.

Marsoc would be way down the road for me, getting 0211 is difficult as is. If I could get 0211 as a reservist, I would do that and go to work as a civilian here in D.C. If I didn't get that MOS, I wouldn't want to spend 1 second more in the military. For me, it's about the MOS, I wouldn't be happy doing something else.

The reason I brought up this thread was because a friend of mine tried out for Marsoc and wasn't selected. I don't know what the process is like for enlisted people, but I know this guy had to get a bunch of LoR and other things to get orders for A&S. I don't know any of the details other than he wasn't selected and isn't with MARSOC.

In your situation, have you visited Shadowspear.com? or Socnet.com? There are a handful of posters from Marsoc who comment regularly. They don't post too many specifics due to Opsec and Persec, but you can probably get more information from them in PM once they are certain who they are speaking with.
    No I have not been there, going there now though, thanks.

As far as the enlisted path goes, really all I did was call and then email a recruiter. I meet all the requirements and they were pretty eager to get me to A&S. I say that because I contacted them before deploying to Afghanistan about going and since getting here (still here now) they keep scheduling me for different A&S courses that I can't go to (been here since Oct and they first had me going to the one in Jan and then one in March). It has now been straitened out.

No I have not been there, going there now though, thanks.

As far as the enlisted path goes, really all I did was call and then email a recruiter. I meet all the requirements and they were pretty eager to get me to A&S. I say that because I contacted them before deploying to Afghanistan about going and since getting here (still here now) they keep scheduling me for different A&S courses that I can't go to (been here since Oct and they first had me going to the one in Jan and then one in March). It has now been straitened out.
    Who's they? MSOS, MARSOC admin or some other command in the Marine Corps?

I hope you find everything you can. And a word of caution on SOCNET, you'll talk to a lot of real deal people, but they ban folks at the drop of a hat. You want to talk to them like a 3rd phase recruit, for the first dozen posts or not. I would also check the stickies first. It would suck to get wtfbanned for an innocent question on a site that is full of useful information.

Shadowspear.com is more forgiving, but I'm not how many MARSOC people comment on it. I'll send you a PM with the screenname of at least 1 MARSOC guy who I see commenting regularly.

Who's they? MSOS, MARSOC admin or some other command in the Marine Corps?

I hope you find everything you can. And a word of caution on SOCNET, you'll talk to a lot of real deal people, but they ban folks at the drop of a hat. You want to talk to them like a 3rd phase recruit, for the first dozen posts or not. I would also check the stickies first. It would suck to get wtfbanned for an innocent question on a site that is full of useful information.

Shadowspear.com is more forgiving, but I'm not how many MARSOC people comment on it. I'll send you a PM with the screenname of at least 1 MARSOC guy who I see commenting regularly.
    They as in the recruiters and screeners (RSAS I think).

I got that impression from SOCNET (already read the introduction thread etc...), that one seems to be used much more then Shadowspear. Thanks for the PM.

getting 0211 is difficult as is. If I could get 0211 as a reservist, I would do that and go to work as a civilian here in D.C. If I didn't get that MOS, I wouldn't want to spend 1 second more in the military. For me, it's about the MOS, I wouldn't be happy doing something else.
    Then do it...

Phantom Blooper
    Guest Free Member
    Congratulations on your new rank SGT Accord!

Thread Information