Laughing at MCRD
Create Post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Laughing at MCRD

Ok, first off I want to say that I'm not trying to be a smart-ass here. I really do appreciate all Marines that take their time to answer Poolees questions. This is a legitimate concern of mine...
    After watching FULL METAL JACKET again I realized that the SDI says what very well might be the funniest stuff I have ever heard. If Boot Camp is actually similar to this did any of you have trouble not laughing during it? I'm not worried about the IST, PFT, crucible, etc. I am only worried that I wont be able to hear some of this **** without laughing.

Don't worry about it. I can promise you the funniest people you will ever meet in your life will be your instructors (boot, MCT/SOI, MOS, etc). No way around it, you'll laugh, and so will everyone else. And don't worry, you'll get slayed for it too. It's awesome fun though...I still laugh about things my DI's did to me and the platoon.

That's Senior Drill Instructor to you, not SDI.
    Go ahead and lose your bearings and laugh while a Drill Instructor is yelling at you or someone else and see what happens...guaranteed you'll be getting quarterdecked until your Drill Instructors can't quarterdeck you any more.
    Believe me, you'll learn to control your emotions rather quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by WMarine View Post
    That's Senior Drill Instructor to you, not SDI.
    Go ahead and lose your bearings and laugh while a Drill Instructor is yelling at you or someone else and see what happens...guaranteed you'll be getting quarterdecked until your Drill Instructors can't quarterdeck you any more.
    Believe me, you'll learn to control your emotions rather quickly.
    Its not that big o deal, there are funny things that happen in Boot, just the name of the game. Maybe not in 4th Bn, but then again I never was in 4th Bn. Now that I think of it being around that many Women who are all mad as hell is probably not that much fun.

I apologize WMarine... Senior Drill Instructor it is.

Quote Originally Posted by echo3oscar1833 View Post
    Its not that big o deal, there are funny things that happen in Boot, just the name of the game. Maybe not in 4th Bn, but then again I never was in 4th Bn. Now that I think of it being around that many Women who are all mad as hell is probably not that much fun.
    Believe me Ben, funny things happen in 4th BN too, and I wasn't trying to sound like a smart a$$ with my previous post, but after watching your fellow recruits get quarterdecked for laughing and whatnot, you learn rather quickly to keep a straight face when someone is getting their a$$ chewed out for whatever reasons.
    We had one Drill Instructor who did and said things that where quite funny plenty of times. My bunkie and I learned to save the laughing for when we were on free time at night.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Usually things don't start to seem funny until you've been in boot camp for a week or so. Too much going on, too much stress, there is an inability to see the humor in a bad situation. After you've calmed down a bit, some things may seem funny, but you'll mostly control yourself or suffer the consequences of failing to maintain your military bearing.

Plan on suffering some consequences, either caused by you or someone else. In First Phase (especially) all suffer for the misdeeds of one. Stuff happens.

Don't pay too much attention to FMJ. Drill Instructors can't thump you like that anymore, but they do still have ways to make you wish all they did was smack you around a few times.

Marine Free Member AAV Crewchief's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by jburke1983 View Post
    Ok, first off I want to say that I'm not trying to be a smart-ass here. I really do appreciate all Marines that take their time to answer Poolees questions. This is a legitimate concern of mine...
    After watching FULL METAL JACKET again I realized that the SDI says what very well might be the funniest stuff I have ever heard. If Boot Camp is actually similar to this did any of you have trouble not laughing during it? I'm not worried about the IST, PFT, crucible, etc. I am only worried that I wont be able to hear some of this **** without laughing.

I laughed my ass off...a lot...and paid for it a lot. What's more funny? We used to have GONG shows imitating the Drill Instructors. I was almost a dead ringer for my series commander and got caught imitating him one day by our Senior. Guess who had to put on a show for the series commander? At least he was a Capt with a sense of humor.

Get used to Up, Down, Up, Down AYE SIR!!!!

It's hard to keep your bearing depending on your DI's. I had one that would think of the funniest **** to get you messed up for it... Just don't look at whose getting messed up and try to tune everything out. If your oblivious to everything outside of an order its easy to keep a straight face

All I have to say, is that out of all of things to be concerned about in boot camp, you're only concern is about laughing? Wow!
    Be more concerned about getting through the first week or two...receiving, moment of truth, meeting your Drill Instructors, full medical and dental screening, taking your IST, knowing your Marine Corps knowledge, and so on.
    In my opinion, don't concern yourselves with things you see and hear in a movie. Full Metal Jacket was made in 1987, and the boot camp part was about a different time and era of the Marine Corps.....and the rest of the movie, during the Vietnam War.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Guess it was a different Boot. I never laughed. '69 I saw 3 dead by their own violition. One was a self inflicted bayonett to the heart, Saw broke ribs,,,, Jaw,,,,,, Sorry kids, (I ain't laughin.

This thread came from where? I just can't laugh with ya'all. It wasn't fun.

My Father used to tell me about basic training when he went through. The Drill Instructors carried a little toy called a ( Swagger stick) and they were not afraid to use it on the sorry pieces of trash that stood before them. You see back then you werent called recruit. You were considered lower than whale crap at the bottom of the ocean. The Marine corps has changed alot from the time My father enlisted in (1967). Dont get me wronge he loves the Marine Corps with all his heart. But he gets a kick out of all the Modern Marines of Now days.. ( Most of them would not last 1 week in vietnam)... That is what my father told me on my graduation day.

I too paid for it, but laughed a lot in boot camp. "self destruct" was all they needed to say, which to was funny as hell. If you don't laugh or find humor in what is going on around you at MCRD then everyday will suck.

Last edited by temarti; 04-16-10 at 12:17 AM. Reason: added an "o"

When my sister was in boot camp her nickname was giggles because she couldn't help herself but giggle all the time, her graduation book has her smiling in it, but nothing "bad" happened to her because of it.

When i was in boot camp, we had one Instructor loose composure and had to walk to the back of the racks, while we all stood at POA in front of them, until he could control himself. Don't worry, if you thing all that stuff is fun to laugh about then they'll be more than happy to keep you laughing all boot camp long.

Marine Free Member AAV Crewchief's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by temarti View Post
    I too paid for it, but laughed a lot in boot camp. "self destruct" was all they needed to say, which to was funny as hell. If you don't laugh or find humor in what is going on around you at MCRD then everyday will suck.

HAHAH "self-destruct".....LOL I have not heard that in years.

Thread Information