Colorblind Marine Force Recon?
Create Post

Colorblind Marine Force Recon?

Hello once again marines. My name is Jon and i am 16 years old. I was just wondering if after a few years of being a rifleman, will i be able to become Marine Force Recon with my slight colorblindness? I have trouble distinguishing certain shades of red and green, but only when they are right next to eachother.Any and all comments and/or opinions are appreciated. Thank you

I'm pretty sure you cannot be color blind in Recon. I remember hearing about it somewhere, and non of the guys I work with are color blind. Recon's organic mission is to observe...in detail, which color blindness could definitely inhibit. You also have to be able to accurately read maps at night. I would check with a recruiter, but don't get your hopes up.

Also, if I'm wrong and it doesn't DQ you, you're not going to go straight into Force, you'll go into Bn first.

Ok. Thanks for answering my question. I will get more information from a recruiter

I don't know the answer for sure, but as a glimmer of hope, my best friend was a Scout/Sniper and Forward Observer in the Corps and he is colorblind. Its not Force Recon, but those roles also require a great deal of observation skills.

I'll be interested to hear what your recruiter says.

Marine Free Member AAV Crewchief's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by YoungBlood10207 View Post
    Hello once again marines. My name is Jon and i am 16 years old. I was just wondering if after a few years of being a rifleman, will i be able to become Marine Force Recon with my slight colorblindness? I have trouble distinguishing certain shades of red and green, but only when they are right next to eachother.Any and all comments and/or opinions are appreciated. Thank you

Had you come in 20 years ago, no. The military is getting very anal retentive about the color blindness thing. Sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by AAV Crewchief View Post
    Had you come in 20 years ago, no. The military is getting very anal retentive about the color blindness thing. Sorry.
    20 years ago they let in felons, dopers, and other dirt-bags. Not saying everyone was, or that you were, but the fact remains that they recruiting standards are much higher than they were twenty years ago.

But on the subject and having the same issue as the OP, I understand the pain -- I thought about going EOD at one point; however, that same issue held me back. Having said that -- I don't think this one should be chalked up to being anal retentive. If SNM can't distinguish between a red smoke or a green smoke on a hot LZ -- you could be in a lot of trouble. I can think of many reasons why they do this,,,, think about it. Maybe it's okay for a cook or a candle maker -- but not for an operator. You just can have that liability.

Quote Originally Posted by Hanzo View Post
    I don't know the answer for sure, but as a glimmer of hope, my best friend was a Scout/Sniper and Forward Observer in the Corps and he is colorblind. Its not Force Recon, but those roles also require a great deal of observation skills.

I'll be interested to hear what your recruiter says.
    Is this recent? Was the best friend a school trained SS? Or was he just assigned to the platoon and never made it to school? Because I'm not positive, but I'm almost positive that the SS MOS requires no colorblindness. I'm sure somebody with 1st hand current knowledge can answer it.

Quote Originally Posted by thewookie View Post
    Is this recent? Was the best friend a school trained SS? Or was he just assigned to the platoon and never made it to school? Because I'm not positive, but I'm almost positive that the SS MOS requires no colorblindness. I'm sure somebody with 1st hand current knowledge can answer it.
    Wookie,
    I'd have to give him a call to verify, but I'd say this was roughly...12 years ago. As for SS school, I'm not positive, but I believe he did go. He was 8541 and some of our discussions certainly make it sound like he was there.

Quote Originally Posted by Hanzo View Post
    Wookie,
    I'd have to give him a call to verify, but I'd say this was roughly...12 years ago. As for SS school, I'm not positive, but I believe he did go. He was 8541 and some of our discussions certainly make it sound like he was there.
    Good info, thanks -- Marine. Like I said I'm not sure. Colorblindness strikes me as a disqualifier (not to say guys don't get there with it, and/ or could have at different times) And when I worked at DM school it was not a requirement, hence the reason why I could go and then teach there. But DM and SS school are two different beasts.

Semper Fi

Quote Originally Posted by thewookie View Post
    Good info, thanks. Like I said I'm not sure. Colorblindness strikes me as a disqualifyer (not to say guys don't get there with it) And when I worked at DM school it was not a requirment, hence the reason why I could go and then teach there. But DM and SS schhol are two different beasts.

Semper Fi
    I totally agree. It seems like it would be a pretty important thing, but...I've given up on understanding the logic of the Corps. And, as you said, with EOD, one would think that being able to tell the blue wire apart from the red wire would be kinda key.

Thread Information