Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Fort Meade Area Rentals.........

http://www.fortmeadehomes.com/

Marine Friend Free Member USNAviator's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Thanks Rocky, I was doing a search myself but got distracted. At 56 that seems to happen more and more LOL!!!

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MOS1310 View Post
    Thanks Rocky, I was doing a search myself but got distracted. At 56 that seems to happen more and more LOL!!!
    HAHAHAHAHA!!!

Okay, I can help you with the civilian sector IT jobs if thats what he is looking for since Im a headhunter. Even with his military credentials jobs for 75k to 100K are going to want a 4 year degree from an accredited university. Even government jobs (DOD, VA, civilian military, etc.) are going to want the 4 year degree. With the government jobs he will get VA preference but its still tough to find one paying that lucratively right off the bat. More realistically I can see him being hired at about 42K or a GS7 level right out of 5 years in the military.

Credits
    Savings
    "Okay, I can help you with the civilian sector IT jobs if thats what he is looking for since Im a headhunter. Even with his military credentials jobs for 75k to 100K are going to want a 4 year degree from an accredited university. Even government jobs (DOD, VA, civilian military, etc.) are going to want the 4 year degree. With the government jobs he will get VA preference but its still tough to find one paying that lucratively right off the bat. More realistically I can see him being hired at about 42K or a GS7 level right out of 5 years in the military."

Good solid straight forward answer. Not sure where the geographic location of potential job offers are located for the Sgt. and his bride but the more info they have, the easier it will make their decision. A promise is one thing, to have it in writing is another. And given my experience in dealing with the DOD and others, it takes them quite a long time to make up their minds on new hires.

Dan

Quote Originally Posted by spotts View Post
    Okay, I can help you with the civilian sector IT jobs if thats what he is looking for since Im a headhunter. Even with his military credentials jobs for 75k to 100K are going to want a 4 year degree from an accredited university. Even government jobs (DOD, VA, civilian military, etc.) are going to want the 4 year degree. With the government jobs he will get VA preference but its still tough to find one paying that lucratively right off the bat. More realistically I can see him being hired at about 42K or a GS7 level right out of 5 years in the military.

I know a degree is pretty essential in the whole search for cash thing, but I do know MOST people straight out of his shop are pulling 60k+ and don't have his certifications. What are your thoughts on Tier 2 vs. tier 3 IT positions in relation to dinero?

Im not sure what companies those people are going to but most Fortune 500 companies want the degrees in hand. PM me regarding what certifications he has and where you are looking to relacate to in the US if he does decide to EAS. Ill do a search for you and see whats out there right now. I have access to more then just job boards on the net.

Dan, thanks for all the info in relation to Ft. Meade. I was looking around Laurel and Maryland City and Jessup because that was where the DECENT housing appeared to be, it just felt like I was missing something.

I started looking @ usajobs and found quite a few back home in Alabama. I think preferably, we'd go back to Florida if he got out. .. IF he gets out. He really misses CENTCOM and his friends down there--the ability to go hunting based on his desire to, the housing market (in our favor ) and the lifestyle we had there (with tons to do) has got his eyes set there. Huntsville, AL would be awesome as well (since we know there are jobs available due to BRAC and the fact that AMC is moving there from Washington with only 20% of their civilian personnel committed to move AND my mother in law would be more than willing to babysit for us to have a date night once in a while )

I like the idea of David staying in. It's still a possibility. Job security, possibility of retirement..etc. Another option he's been talking about is staying in as a reservist and working as a civilian.

I will keep everyone up to date as far as our decision, thanks for all the input!

Credits
    Savings
    " I will keep everyone up to date as far as our decision, thanks for all the input!

You better!!! I just wanted to add another bit of info you and your husband should know about. Below is the link to TriCare Cost and Benefits to retirees. I retired at age 44 and came under the TriCare umbrella. Both daughters benefited for many years until they reached the opt out year, I believe it's 22. Legislation now pending to up it to 26 if a student

I lost my wife Lorrie to breast cancer, age 49, two years ago. Tricare was wonderful with all the help they provided.

Wanted to make sure you know the positives of staying in until retirement age

https://www.hnfs.net/common/benefits...r+Retirees.htm

Good luck to the two or should I say three of you?

Dan

Thanks Dan! I already know all about retiree benefits. My dad was medically retired from the Army when I was really young for brain tumors and cancer. He died from it when I was 5. It's an amazing thing--the benefits provided to retirees and their families. I grew up all sorts of sickly so, it really helped, especially since back then, the SGLI didn't really cover much. I think for my dad it was 40K-- enough to pay off the house my Dad and mom bought together, and the SUV he got before he passed away--later to become my first vehicle (lasted like FOREVER... good old 1988 Ford Bronco II).

While Military medicine may not always be the best, it was there when we needed it.

Tricare ends for non-students at 21. I think it's 23 if they're still students. I can't remember. I had to drop all my classes when I was 21 to PCS with my Marine (so I didn't really ever NOT have Tricare I guess)

Thanks so much for the good wishes!

<3

PS: So sorry to hear about your wife. I had no idea.

Last edited by DobbinsBlythe; 04-23-10 at 07:25 PM. Reason: HORRIBLE grammar.

Credits
    Savings
    Take care of yourself young lady, you have the right attitude and the right disposition. I have seen so many military wives both of officers and enlisted who have no clue.

I was lucky, when we walked under the cross swords ceremony during our wedding and Lorrie was swatted on her butt and welcomed into the Navy, she told me later that the Navy and I came first. Wow, I was lucky!

All my best

Dan

So it's looking more and more like he wants to get out. The job offers are already rolling in--in the place we wanted to move to--at the place he wanted to work!

Still insanely up in the air, because he LOVES the Corps. Who knows!

Marine Spouse Free Member Idena's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Did he make a decision yet? We were stationed at Ft Meade 3 1/2 years ago, & we lived in Glen Burnie during that time. However, I'm familiar with the greater MD area - I used to live & work in Baltimore, & we plan to retire to Annapolis (We were married there, as well.). I'll give you any info I can if you wind up there - I can even introduce you to people in the area if you want ready-made friends!

You know what Idena, I thought he had made his decision to get out because of some serious job offers he had... HOWEVER.. now he's thinking lat-move?! I can't keep up with my own husband lol.

I will DEFINITELY be in contact should we need to PCS to Ft. Meade. Thanks for the offer!

Is he a 2651? Must be a 26XX of some sort if they're sending him to Ft. Meade.

Thread Information