For Fun: Guys, What's Your Flexed-Arm Hang Time? Gals, Pull-Ups?
Create Post

For Fun: Guys, What's Your Flexed-Arm Hang Time? Gals, Pull-Ups?

Way back in the beginning, when I first walked into my recruiter's office back in September of last year, he gave me this big long speech about how the men and women train the same and how the only difference was that the women had to do the flexed-arm hang vs pull-ups.

I asked him why this was and he said it was because men can't seem to do the flexed-arm hang very well.

Which I thought was a bunch of bunk until my husband confirmed that many a Marine he was stationed with would challenge their female counterparts to flexed-arm hang duels only to be humbled by it.

So, now, I'm wondering how many honest male poolees we have who would do the flexed-arm hang and report their seconds and how many gals would attempt some pull-ups and see how we do. For giggles.

I'm not sure what makes the difference but it will be interesting to see the results.

Last night I did one whopping pull up but 69 seconds on the hang.

The reason I was told that women do the FAH instead of pull ups is because we are built differently. Which I agree with, to an extent. I'm glad I have to do the FAH, because my pull ups suck! There is one girl from my office that can do 11 pull ups, but I think it's easier for guys to go from pull ups to FAH, than females to go from FAH to pull ups. I think that any guy that can do 20 pull ups should easily be able to get 40 sec on the arm hang. They are two completely different muscle actions though; FAH is completely isometric and eccentric, while pull ups are all concentric. The OSO (male) that I was working with before could do the FAH for 90 secs.
    I am definitely interested to see how the guys on here do at the FAH though!

I can do the FAH for 80 seconds.

Currently only 16 pullups though

You should note that I am only 135 pounds though.

Im at 54 seconds.
    My goal is to be at 70 before boot camp!

Mylast flexed arm hang time was 96 seconds, that was over a month ago at our annual poolee function at ft meade. No idea what my time is now.

What I've always been told is because females are built a little bit different and there weight is based more at there hips (no offense) and guys is built at our chest. I hang for like 30 seconds and do 12-15 pull ups.

Credits
    Savings
    Interesting i think i'll try this tomorrow...

I've never done the flexed arm hang, but I'm at about 11 or so pull ups (Still recovering from elbow surgery so I expect to improve more.)

Thread Information