Cryptology
Create Post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cryptology

Cryptology

Hi Marines. I just took my DLAB today and scored a 108(hell yea!) and my recruiter offered me 30k to sign on as a cryptologist instead of my intel MOS.

-what does a cryptologist do?
    -what is the typical day like?
    -what language will i learn?
    -is it a desk job?
    -are there alot more deployments?
    -what kind of pay can i expect?
    -what should i expect as far as school goes?
    -is it a good job?

I believe they put you into a deep dark secure area and let you look at computer screens on occassion. See link for more recent info.

http://www.nnwc-ftmeade.navy.mil/cmdsite/mcsb/

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Venge03 View Post
    Hi Marines. I just took my DLAB today and scored a 108(hell yea!) and my recruiter offered me 30k to sign on as a cryptologist instead of my intel MOS.
    Take It!!!!!!!!!.
    You'll be Glad you did!!!

I'm going to take a guess and say you won't be a cryptologist you will be a cryptologic linguist. You language depends on many things such as scores, family history, school slots, your name, and many other factors. It is not always a desk job. Everyone in the Marine Corps gets the same pay. It is the longest and hardest school in the Marine Corps (hardest mentally not physically..). And finally, if you want a marketable job skill for after the Marine Corps if you decide to get out, there isn't much better.

This can vary depending on language and could be anything from working at a desk stateside or deployed doing any number of things.

Depends where you are at. I get up at 0430/0500, ride a bus to work, and get home a little before 2000.

Dunno, you find out when they tell you what you will learn.

-is it a desk job?
    Could be, and not really your choice in the matter.

Depends on language. Desk job or tactical job it is possible to deploy. Most likely will deploy if on the tactical side.

Depends how bad you will suck at your language. Pay is at most 500 for one language, don't expect anywhere near that. If you can pull off a listening 3 reading 3 you can get 400 a month.

Underage drinking, people being stupid, thinking you're in high school again, a lot of study, homework, remediation if you suck, etc. Ultimately it depends on your language and your work ethic.

-is it a good job?
    Greatest job in the world and wouldn't want to do anything else. Sometimes boring but must of the time its the coolest chit I've ever seen.

@Moss, I think he heard it wrong. His recruiter was probably saying crypto-linguist.

OP: Chances are actually pretty decent you'll be doing the same thing as 2621s for a lot of your time in the Corps, which is one of the intel jobs you could end up with on your current contract. It's some desk time and some field time. Once you get to the fleet, if you want more field time make sure you ask to be on an SST. Language will be needs of the Corps, so probably something middle Eastern. You'll get paid maybe a little more than anyone else for being able to speak a different language, but you're definitely not going to be rich compared to the next guy. Maybe some extra spending cash.

Thanks for all the answers Marines. I have a few follow-ups, lol.

but first, I talked to my recruiter and he said I actually got a 118 on the test and given my very high score he said they will likely teach me a language even if I stay in intel. Right now I have to decide whether I should stay intel, or go crypto-liguist.

-In a comparison which would you say is the better job.

-Is there anything I can do to ensure I am not stuck at a desk 24/7? along the lines of PT scores, formal requests, etc? A recruiter told me if you do/have everything needed for a field position, you will get it.

-can you elaborate on your typical day at all. What activites take up the majority of your time. I understand there is "sensitive" information involved so I don't expect anything more than a vague description. And omg that is a really long work day!

-when you say its the greatest job in the world sometimes boring but most of the time the coolest shi- you've ever seen, what do you mean? what makes its great? what is the coolest shi- you've ever seen, foreign language?

I got some very useful information about this topic from some Marines here:

http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=94146

Of course my situation is different than yours, as I am lat-moving into the MOS and you are trying to enlist into it, initially. Read through that thread, see if those answers help you at all. Also, PM some of those Marines who had more helpful answers, they will tell you a lot more in a PM than in a thread.

Chances are if you were to enlist into Intel, you will be an 0231, Intel Analyst. That being said, see the following link for an extremely useful thread:

http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=77236

I know a little bit about both MOS's, seeing as I'm thinking of lat-moving into Counter Intel (0211) or Middle East Crypto Linguist (2671) (haven't made up my mind on which yet). So, I have done a lot of research on both. Of course, I won't be as helpful as those Marines who are currently in the MOS's. But send me a PM too, if you want, and I'll see if I can answer anything.

Wow, I got $0 LOL. $30k would sure as hell be nice...

Marine Free Member AAV Crewchief's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings

-is it a desk job?
    -is it a good job?

What is Intel offering as a bonus? Intel has good bonuses for reup and guess what is even better? It is a great job to make connections for the outside world if the Corps isn't your bag. All of their skill sets are compatible with work in the civilian world.

Credits
    Savings
    Hi Marines. I just took my DLAB today and scored a 108(hell yea!) and my recruiter offered me 30k to sign on as a cryptologist

Can I say Mandarin Chinese? Sure, we will need Middle Eastern dialects for some time to come, but Chinese languages are what we need a lot of intel on and the Chinese are OUR biggest threat.

Credits
    Savings
    I got offered 18k to reup as a tractor rat, but considering Lt Neil Hornung kept me down for 24 months as a CPL, I figured I would run into more Hornungs and opted to go to the 1st Civ Div Northwest Florida in April of 1986.

but first, I talked to my recruiter and he said I actually got a 118 on the test and given my very high score he said they will likely teach me a language even if I stay in intel. Right now I have to decide whether I should stay intel, or go crypto-liguist.
    As an 02 you will probably not learn a language, sans being an interrogator. The 2600 field is where they need the language dudes at.

-In a comparison which would you say is the better job?

Linguist because I am bias that way. And from what I've heard and read, 02's give a lot of briefs and make PPT a lot, both of which I really hate with a passion.

-Is there anything I can do to ensure I am not stuck at a desk 24/7? along the lines of PT scores, formal requests, etc? A recruiter told me if you do/have everything needed for a field position, you will get it.

Luck

-can you elaborate on your typical day at all. What activites take up the majority of your time. I understand there is "sensitive" information involved so I don't expect anything more than a vague description. And omg that is a really long work day!

Radbn: Wake up early and do PT with Plt (3x per week) then go to work by 0800 for formation. Then Plt sgt/cmdr passes word and you go do your thing. As a 'teams' guy we would just check out gear and train on it. Go to lunch, come back, mess around with gear more, maybe do a CMR. Go home at a decent time, then drink beer.

Currently: Wake up at either 0430 or 1630 (depending which shift I'm on), catch a bus and go to work. Sit in front of a computer and fight the war on terror. Take some smoke breaks, lunch break, go PT. Get relieved from shift and go home, arriving at around 0800 or 2000 (depending on shift).

-when you say its the greatest job in the world sometimes boring but most of the time the coolest shi- you've ever seen, what do you mean? what makes its great? what is the coolest shi- you've ever seen, foreign language?

No, the language part is only cool cause I get paid extra money and people look at you as a linguist and think your important so they don't mess with you too much. Everything outside of language that you interact with in the course of being a sigint'er is awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by AAV Crewchief View Post
    What is Intel offering as a bonus? Intel has good bonuses for reup and guess what is even better? It is a great job to make connections for the outside world if the Corps isn't your bag. All of their skill sets are compatible with work in the civilian world.
    intel isn't offering any enlistment bonus. driving back from taking the DLAB, my recruiter turned around in the car and said "you wanna be a cryptologist and get a 30k bonus"?

All that matters is that TS clearance. Whether you go Cryptology or Intel...your set for life in the civilian contracting world. Flip a coin.

And you may very well end up behind a desk. But it isn't a bad thing. You're smart...smart people like you are of greater use crunching the info that others don't understand.

Thread Information