RM awarded Military Cross - Page 2
Create Post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    OUT-FRIKKIN-STANDING...!!

Marine Friend Free Member USNAviator's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    "The medal is made from the cascabel of a cannon used at Sebastapol. It is estimated that there is enough metal for approximately 80 - 85 more medals."

That's what I love about the British. Your sense of history and honor. Only 80-85 more medals?? WOW!! Should cover the next 150 years??? Tongue firmly placed in cheek!

The Siege of Sebastapol in Crimea was an amazing story that I can guarantee less then 1 percent of the American population has ever heard about and less care about.

Our British allies have stood back to back with us when others have faded, the British have taken heat for some of our less than intelligent strategic and tactical moves. Never have they wavered.

Up the Brits!!!

Dan

Quote Originally Posted by MOS1310 View Post
    "The medal is made from the cascabel of a cannon used at Sebastapol. It is estimated that there is enough metal for approximately 80 - 85 more medals."

That's what I love about the British. Your sense of history and honor. Only 80-85 more medals?? WOW!! Should cover the next 150 years??? Tongue firmly placed in cheek!

The Siege of Sebastapol in Crimea was an amazing story that I can guarantee less then 1 percent of the American population has ever heard about and less care about.

Our British allies have stood back to back with us when others have faded, the British have taken heat for some of our less than intelligent strategic and tactical moves. Never have they wavered.

Up the Brits!!!

Dan
    Well my friend said that if they only have that many to go it should last about 200 years and that during his 20 years he only saw one given out maybe they will find another cannon lying around somewhere, thunk?

Marine Free Member 3BadgeMarine's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    I see my good friend "Rob" the 'Chopper Jockey' has heeded the call of lash up and stow and now with both feet firmley on the deck started a rather interesting topic on medals and awards,one Bootneck with a font of knowledge of all things nautical,good on ya Robert?.
    Quote....An' after I met' im all over the world,a-doin'all kinds of things,
    Like landing' 'isself with a Gatlin' gun to talk to them 'eathen Kings;.Aye JR

Credits
    Savings
    Post the Falklands campaign it was noted that the Royal Marines, despite being in the forefront of the battles, had been awarded fewer medals than other units, notably the Army. It is said that a senior RM officer considered, "They were doing their job." The rumour mill continues, apparently RM officers, responsible for the compilation of post-action reports 'wrote down' rather than 'wrote up' people for awards. Consequently there was a rejig of the system so that recognition would in future be given correctly for acts of heroism.

Medals are also awarded to our civil servants, in recognition of staplers issued, paper stacked and files shredded. There remains a system of recognition that may appear anachronistic to many, but is based in historical precedent, and rewards long service. Many of those rewarded in this manner are 'jobsworths' however there are others who would make life enjoyable purely by their conversation and presence.

In recent months it has been disclosed that our members of parliament who visit troops on detachment in places such as Afghanistan earn 'points' or merits toward an adopted military rank and a medal. Bloody prats deserve having it welded to their genitals. How about that for British Understatement?

Here's a link to the story.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/news...se-medals.html

Hi Jim, any mail?

Didn't think so.

Credits
    Savings
    Rob

Well I think we have the best politicians money can buy but I'll defer, you have the best politicians who crave glory!!!

Two presidential examples. Pres. Johnson was awarded a Silver Star by MacArthur in 1942 for being an "observer" on a bombing mission. Lyndon must have told Dugout Doug a tall tale because there were 7 other crew members aboard the plane, all swore they never came under enemy attack, none were awarded any medal. Yet as an "observer" Lyndon gladly accepted the award and wore the lapel pin till the day he died!

Jack Kennedy's PT boat was sunk in 1943. His was the only PT boat ever rammed by an enemy vessel. He did save one of his crewmen by swimming to a nearby island, towing this individual for many miles. When Jack got back to the states, his dad Joe Sr. pushed hard for Jack to be awarded the Medal of Honor, hoping to settle for the Navy Cross. Much to the credit of the Navy, they could have either court marshaled Jack for being totally ill prepared in a combat situation or give him an award and be done with him. No MOH, no Navy Cross they awarded him the Life Saving medal, and well deserved it was!!!

Dan

Credits
    Savings
    I'm learning all the time. I found the link to Hancocks Jewellers earlier. Apparently a Victoria Cross was laid on the tomb of the American Unknown Warrior.

"Uniquely an award was made in 1921 to the Unknown Warrior of the United States of America and this was laid on the tomb of this Warrior in Arlington Cemetery by Admiral Lord Beatty on 11th. November 1921." That would be Admiral Lord Beatty of Jutland fame.

The link takes you to the Hancocks' site. The rest of the detail is available from the red links on the right hand side of the page.

http://www.hancocks-london.com/victoria_cross.htm

Credits
    Savings
    Rob

Thank you for the VC history. I'm a history professor and have an abundant source of arcane material, thank you for your addition. Best way to teach history I have found is to insert little nuggets not in the books!

It's really odd that you posted yesterday because I was up at the Tomb of the Unknown ( I live in Virginia) I watched the changing of the guard and went off to view the Iwo Jima Memorial, as I always do.

Just caught the fact you were a helo pilot. I flew Prowlers, EA-6's for 13 years. Had seven deployments to the Med. I too have been to Malta, beautiful place!!

Have a fellow prof who is from Leeds. He has scheduled his class time around when his Leeds FC is playing so he can listen on his laptop!!!

Thanks again Rob!!

Dan

Rob, the Subject of Politicians and Medals came up on OAM, the final consensus of Opinion was they should all be awarded Posthumas ones!!!!!

Jim

(always in the wrong place it seems!!)

Marine Free Member 3BadgeMarine's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Further more to Rob's input on Regimental Seargeant Major Mathew Tomlinson he received his Medal from Her Majesty at 'Buck House' yesterday,One hell of a Marine.Aye

Credits
    Savings
    Looks like he has Clubs on his left sleeve Jim, no wonder he is nearly as fit as us.

For our USMC readers. "Clubs" refers to Indian Clubs, the ancient form of military PT, taught in Persia and India. Consequently Physical Training Instructors were nicknamed "Clubs."

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    UNCOMMON VALOR WAS A COMMON VIRTUE

Thread Information