Post your most impressive challenge coin.
Create Post
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Post your most impressive challenge coin.

I know there are some folks on here who probably have some very nice challenge coins in their collections but mine has to be the 24th MEU coin. I also have an error coin from a First Sgt retirement ceremony that is pretty special. So what are some good coins out there? Also, does anyone know of a good website for challenge coins? There are a few I need to get from units I was apart of and places I went.

Assistant Secretary of the Army. I got it for arguing with her about history.

3 Star and 1 Star Generals from USMA West Point

My most impressive one, and the only one I actually owned was my 2nd Assault Amphibian Battalion Coin. It got ruined, and had to toss it. Thankfully when I was in I got two, and a buddy of mine as the other one. I want to get it, but I won't ask him cause I would feel bad asking for it back. The thing that sucks is it is one that I don't think you can just by out of a catalog, they where specially minted for our unit for that time frame. I have been thinking about getting a stadium stand, and start collecting them.

They didn't have challenge coins when I was in the Corps, but I have started getting them since I joined the Guard. My favorite is from Ole Miss ROTC commander (LtCol) it is shaped like a dog tag. The one I got from a 2 star (state TAG) is also pretty cool.

I have the ARCENT CG (3 star) coin, and the Assistant Commandant of the Marine Corps (4 star) coin. Those are my two most impressive. Though I am pretty proud of my DLI coin.

Sec Def and Sec Nav coins from Fallujah in 2004

Hate to sound like a dumb a** how did you get one?

I'm curious, I never heard of challenge coins until 3 or 4 years ago. When did all of this start. When I first heard of them I thought they were awarded for achieving a goal or doing something special. Now I understand that you can buy them on the Internet, or sometimes your unit has them made and hands them out, or people give them away kind of like getting an autograph. I'm not being critical, don't mean to sound that way but just trying to understand.
    So is it like collecting souvenir spoons when you're on vacation? Do any of you old Marines remember this and I just missed it. Again not being disrespectful just wondering.
    Thanks.

I got out of the Corps in 92, and we weren't getting them then.

I got three in the guard, around 93-96 time frame, and everyone in the army know about them and a lot had one or more.

I was telling my story about my one for arguing in the early 2000s and a then serving Marine said they were starting to get them in the Corps.

They seem to be used for a 'good job' somewhere under where a letter would be used.

It looks like now they are more of a keepsake.

Did you ever get one of the Team Spirit keychains that the Korean government gave out? They seem to be more like that, now.

Yeah pretty sure they are a new thing, as I said they didn't have them when I was in (94-98). Not sure when they came about though, as I have only been back in about a year now.
    I have noticed that while you can get generic unit ones online or at the PX, the ones that are impressive are the ones that are specially made.

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Hundreds of Challenge Coins Here.
    Good Thread Brother!!!

http://usmcshop.grunt.com/Products/M...s/Default.aspx

I got a lapel pin stick button where I got my honorable discharge but that had been around a long time. Kinda of like the old Ruptured Duck pin from WW II, I think that it replaced the Duck for Marines. Other than our official ribbons and medals nothing. I can see where they would make great souvenirs.
    Thanks SF

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by lastcigar View Post
    I got a lapel pin stick button where I got my honorable discharge but that had been around a long time.

I still have mine

You know I get the Sgt. Grit catalog and have ordered stuff but never really paid any attention to those coins. Failure to engage trigger housing group I guess. I even stopped at his shop one time on a trip though Ok. City. He is real close to the airport. His staff treated me great. When I flew out I had to empty my carryon because of all the unusually shaped metal objects I bought there. Finally one of the TSA guys said he figured I had been over there, he was a Marine also.

Thread Information