Looking for Help or Advice
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Looking for Help or Advice

Hello my name is kevin and for almost the past two years I have been actively trying to enlist in the corps. My first roadblock was only having a GED and being on probation. I was told to obtain 15 college credits and successfully complete probation. I have since obtained 30 credit hours and am no longer on probation. After returning to the recruiting station I was then told I was disqualified due to my criminal history.

My criminal history includes 2 juvenile misdemeanor charges:
    assault w/ family violence age 14 (successfully completed differed probation)
    possession of MJ at age 16 (successfully completed formal probation)

2 adult misdemeanor charges:
    theft age 18 (successfully completed differed probation)
    criminal mischeive age 18 ( charged reduced to class C paid fine)

After being disqualified I wrote to my senator who did an inquiry for me. I got the results from this inquiry today which basically seems to be a formal letter stating the reasons that I was disqualifed. It did say however that the offenses are wavierable but there is no moral reasons they see to try (this my take on what was said)

I do understand that their are guidelines which must be followed but since I was a small boy I have wanted to be Marine. My mom even has the paper from school where it says when I grow up I want to be a Marine. I lost sight of that goal at some point for a few years but have gotten my life together and I am agressively pursuing that goal now. I have a child and have become a much more responsible individual and learned greatly from my mistakes. I have friends who are NCOs who say I definately have what it takes to be a Marine and are willing to write letters of recomendation stating this.

I am looking for help or advice here. Who can I write to now or what can I do?

thank you in advance for your time and any help/advice.

It's Corps, not corps.
    I would have to say that if you've been denied once, they may deny you again. The Marine Corps is beyond meeting their quota and those that require waivers, are finding it either very difficult to join the Marine Corps, or are just simply having their waivers being denied.
    In my opinion, the only way you are going to find out the answers to your questions, is to go and see a recruiter again.

Criminal History Waivers
    http://usmilitary.about.com/od/marin...minal.-um-.htm

The Corps is in the fortunate position to be full, and they are fortunate to have many recruits trying to get it in that have high ASVABs, a clean record, and HS diplomas that they will take long before someone with a GED and a record.

I dont have any advice to offer except to keep trying, dont get your hopes up, and maybe try one of the other forces where you may one day be able to transfer to the Corps.

thank you both for your advice. I will definately go talk to the recruiting station again and see if my options have changed at all. I have also decided to write the president though I am not sure if that will help the situation but I feel that the more I get my name out there the better chance I may have.

In my opinion, if you do write the President, I highly doubt he would ever see the letter, and to me, that's not a good idea.
    Your criminal history alone requires to many waivers, and as already stated, they are taking those that don't require any waivers at all over those that do. These days, the Marine Corps can be very selective.

your absolutely right. I highly doubt that he will ever see the letter. Even when writing to the senator that did the inquiry for me I dealt with her constituent liason the entire time not her. I understand that the Marine Corps is at capacity and they have numerous well qualified applicants but I feel that I should at least try ever possible option that could help my situation.

but in your opinion why is this a bad idea? I know it probably won't change anything but how could it hurt my situation?

Kevin, you have tried every possible option, the Recruiter sent in the waivers, the Senators office did the inquiry, which would have involved the Recruiting Command. I think everyone has done what they could to help you out.

The situations that you described were all personal choices. I am not saying give up on a dream, just focus your energy on something that is realistic.

Quote Originally Posted by temarti View Post
    Kevin, you have tried every possible option, the Recruiter sent in the waivers, the Senators office did the inquiry, which would have involved the Recruiting Command. I think everyone has done what they could to help you out.

The situations that you described were all personal choices. I am not saying give up on a dream, just focus your energy on something that is realistic.
    As far as I know there was never a waiver kit put together. I never got to take the asvab. During the inquiry Recruiting Command called me to find out what recruiting station I went to because I was not in their system ( I doubt any of that makes a difference just giving more background)

But your right that this may not be a realistic goal so I am still continuing college and working on that aspect of my life. But I feel compelled to serve my country and it still is my dream to be a Marine. I will not give up on that dream until I am too old to enlist.

Stick with College and make the most out of it, there are many other ways to serve as well, each is as important as the other.

I don't think the problem is that you got in trouble. Your problem is that you've shown a pattern of getting in trouble. 4 times is a lot of trouble man. Hell, if you were in Cali they would have already executed you.

When you were first told to go to school and finish probation the Marine Corps was probably still hurting for bodies. This is no longer the case, and that's probably why you have a slim chance of enlisting.

If serving your country is what you're after try the Army. Maybe after serving honorably for 4 years in the Army you can speak with a Marine recruiter and try again.

Quote Originally Posted by KevinH240 View Post
    As far as I know there was never a waiver kit put together. I never got to take the asvab. During the inquiry Recruiting Command called me to find out what recruiting station I went to because I was not in their system ( I doubt any of that makes a difference just giving more background)

But your right that this may not be a realistic goal so I am still continuing college and working on that aspect of my life. But I feel compelled to serve my country and it still is my dream to be a Marine. I will not give up on that dream until I am too old to enlist.
    I like your attitude: Never give up on a dream.

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by tdrt View Post
    I like your attitude: Never give up on a dream.

Quote Originally Posted by BR34 View Post
    I don't think the problem is that you got in trouble. Your problem is that you've shown a pattern of getting in trouble. 4 times is a lot of trouble man. Hell, if you were in Cali they would have already executed you.

When you were first told to go to school and finish probation the Marine Corps was probably still hurting for bodies. This is no longer the case, and that's probably why you have a slim chance of enlisting.

If serving your country is what you're after try the Army. Maybe after serving honorably for 4 years in the Army you can speak with a Marine recruiter and try again.
    Yes I realized I made my mistakes in the past and on paper it does show a pattern of me getting into trouble over a few year period. I was not hanging around the best group of people which was a mistake and since having my daughter a new light was shed on my life. I have completely revamped my life. For the past two years I have been pursuing this goal among others. I'm still working towards becoming a Marine and hoping that if I can show proof that I am determined and that I am not the same screw up that the paper trail shows maybe someday I will have a shot at my dream. And your absolutely right about the Marine Corps still needing bodies when first talking with recruiters and as you stated this simply is no longer the case.

As far as the Army goes I have thought about that course of action but I will have to work almost as hard to get in to the Army as well. So it is a back up plan but ultimately if I'm going to work hard towards something I don't want to be considered in the category of Aren't Ready to be Marines Yet, and before anyone jumps my ass for that I know there's nothing wrong with the army but in the end they are not Marines.

Good deal, sounds like you have a good head on your shoulders, everyone makes mistakes in life, the successful ones don't look back.

You've done all you can do.

Writing the President will get you nothing. You tried the Senator route (which was also, as you discovered, a waste of time, but at least you got to see the system in action).

It's not happenin. Now, it *might* happen in a year or so. Recruiting trends change like the tides. Your best bet is to continue college, and check with the RS about every six months or so.

Needless to say, you also need to stop doing stupid things, (or, rather, don't do any more), stay away from dope, and stay in school. Be a good citizen.

Hard words, but that's just the way it is.

Thread Information