Mustangs - Page 2
Create Post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mustangs

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt Leprechaun View Post
    Hussaf nailed it.

The link from this:

To yours isn't much of a leap. And no offense meant, or taken. But I'm a militaria collector and a long time student of history (I have helmets with this decal) and that was the FIRST thing I thought of. As hussaf said, if I can get there....others can to.
    They are both pretty darn close....even if you say it's the German family crest of the first king.

This is the German family crest of the first king. The saying goes all the way around my ankle and means 'from hardships come wisdom'.

There's nothing intrinsically wrong with it IMO. BUT it brings to mind 'the other' thing and can EASILY be mis-interpreted. Thus, it's banned.

Well i for one don't find it racist! I didn't come to the same ideas others came to when viewing it. I've seen worse when i was in before and after the policy came about. its a coat of arms! if people would ask first what it represents then maybe they will be more informed before "jumping to conclusions".

AND don't get me wrong, I know exactly what it means and don't think that either.

But....it's NOT up to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Komenko View Post
    Well i for one don't find it racist! I didn't come to the same ideas others came to when viewing it. I've seen worse when i was in before and after the policy came about. its a coat of arms! if people would ask first what it represents then maybe they will be more informed before "jumping to conclusions".
    I think everyone in this thread understands its a coat of arms...and no one is accusing this lady of being a neo-Nazi. This is a common image for coats of arms throughout Europe and even some Eastern Bloc areas (which I guess is still Europe).

I've seen worse tattoos as well, hence my previous statement that this one shouldn't be a problem. We are just bringing up the possibility that someone might take issue. Asking first isn't always the policy in the military. Sure, that is unfair, but so is many aspects of military life.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Get it Lasered off no Biggy

Thanks for all of the replies. I think it proves my point that I can't get the same answer from two people. It's all in the eyes of the beholder I guess. My recruiter told me that it won't be a problem, but if I have to write something about why I have it and what it means to me I will.
    I have never seen it like in the image Sgt Leprechaun posted, so that it why I thought it was within Marine Corps policy. Now, I do see why it could be taken as being anti-American.

I am a mustang, the only difference is I went from being an enlisted Marine to an Army officer (Naional Guard). Being prior enlisted helps me in multiple different ways...

-I have been in their shoes and know what it takes to get them to work for me better then a non-prior service LT who comes in throwing his bar around. Yes they'll follow orders but my guys always go above and beyond what I ask them to do.
    - I also know when they are attempting to blow smoke up my azz.
    - My SNCO's do work harder for me then my counterpart's due to the fact that they know I was an NCO and that I expect great things from them.

Being prior service also hurts me at times...

- As previously mentioned you need to know when to stay in your own lane. My Platoon SGT has had to tell me a couple of times to let him do his job, and I should because if I am trying to do his job then I am not doing mine.

There are a ton of Mustang officers in the Corps. Some are awesome, some are not. That being said, the Marines will know if you are a prior. Your seniors, in most cases, are uninterested in your prior career as enlisted. Know this. The Marine Corps could care less about what you did last month, last year or in my case the last 14 years. What are you doing for me today, that is the question.

The key is consistent performance in each job, billet, rank and duty. If you do this you will be fine. Rest on your laurels, and you will find yourself applying to 1st Civ Div.

The last point I will touch on is humility. You must understand if you choose to go the officer route, that you do not know it all. There will be brand new freshly minted Lts that are intelligent, organized, and natural leaders. They will be behind at first, but once they get the hang of it could run circles around you. Be humble, and offer help when needed, but take advice and criticism when it is sent your way.

Hate to be all philosophical and the such, but too many people think that good enlisted Marines make good officers. Not the case. Some good enlisted Marines make good officers, some make the best SNCO's in all the services, and some make great civilians. There is no set answer on how Mustangs are viewed.

Lot's of people around here have this license plate on their cars.Nothing to do with the Nazi's.
    But I find it VERY INTERESTING that some of them can't tell you their whereabouts from 1939-1945.Hmmmmmmmmm.

ahh, that's what it reminds me of...it was a coat of arms in the latter part of the Holy Roman Empire before being the coat of arms for Germania. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coat_of_arms_of_Germany

Just an update. I am taking oath and signing my contract on Monday! Apparently the tattoo doesn't seem to be a problem. Although I'm guessing it can still be looked at by the CO at any time.
    Does anyone know if you are issued socks that are high enough to cover it up in PT gear?

I'm almost positive that you get issued ankle socks now, at least my nephew did when he was in boot camp June -August of last year.

Quote Originally Posted by asherdasher114 View Post
    Just an update. I am taking oath and signing my contract on Monday! Apparently the tattoo doesn't seem to be a problem. Although I'm guessing it can still be looked at by the CO at any time.
    That is awesome -- Congrats! Let us know your ship date.

Quote Originally Posted by asherdasher114 View Post
    Does anyone know if you are issued socks that are high enough to cover it up in PT gear?
    LOL, yep. Our socks were plenty high and we always had to make sure they were pulled up. Not sure if the girls were different, or if there are different socks these days...I went to bootcamp in '01.

Thread Information