A few questions about the Marines
Create Post
    Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

A few questions about the Marines

I have a few questions about the Marines. Hopefully I won't mess up and bring the wrath of WMarine. (and if I do I'm sorry!)

My first question involves the MOS I would choose, I'm mainly interested in 1812 with hopes of one day maybe becoming 1802, but in my research on 1812 my sources said i needed a GT score of 90, roughly how hard or easy is it to get above a 90 on my GT score?

My second question is also about the MOS 1812 it says I need "Must have vision correctable to 20/20" does this mean if I wear glasses or contacts I can sign up for this MOS or am I excluded?

My third question involves exercising, I am about 30 miles away from my recruiter and currently unemployed, this makes it difficult to travel to him on Tuesday and Thursday to work out with him and the others he is recruiting, and there is no one around me able to carpool me there, so my question (finally) is this, whats some good exercises i can do to hopefully dramatically increase my fitness so that the next time I actually work out with them i wont look like I've been a slack*ss

and right now I'm a "wanna be" I didn't want to sign anything until I got myself in shape and knew that I had what it takes to be a Marine physically, not just mentally.

What you get on your ASVAB is all up to you. There are many practice ASVABs out there to help you improve your test scores.
    Try doing a search in the poolee forum for exercise tips, as that subject has been covered before. Also do a google search for exercise tips. There are many helpful sites out there.

And in your profile, you need to make a correction as Marines is always capitalized.

Credits
    Savings
    Doh! I knew I'd miss a capitol somewhere and thank you WMarine

You're Welcome!
    And I'm really a nice person to get along with, OK!
    Good luck to you.

Quote Originally Posted by PTJenkins View Post

My third question involves exercising, I am about 30 miles away from my recruiter and currently unemployed, this makes it difficult to travel to him on Tuesday and Thursday to work out with him and the others he is recruiting, and there is no one around me able to carpool me there, so my question (finally) is this, whats some good exercises i can do to hopefully dramatically increase my fitness so that the next time I actually work out with them i wont look like I've been a slack*ss.
    Run.

If you're decent at algebra and other "basic" math, then a score of 90 should be no sweat. GT is made up of mainly math, although I think another portion of the applies as well, just can't remember what it is.

Vision correctable to 20/20 just means that you have to have SOME manner of seeing at 20/20 vision. Both contacts or glasses are acceptable (although note that you'll be using glasses in boot camp). They'll run an eye exam on you at MEPS (I think I remember that anyway, haha) and as long as they can correct it to 20/20, it doesn't even matter how well you can see out of your current glasses.

Like WMarine said, best bet for exercise is to do a search through the poolee forum. Really though, if you can't think of anything else to do, just run ISTs every other day or something like that. Maybe do a max set of crunches multiple times one day, max set of pullups multiple times the next day, and go for like a two mile run every day (to start with).

Credits
    Savings
    Thank you TinDragon

Phantom Blooper
    Guest Free Member
    And I'm really a nice person to get along with, OK!
    Otay!

Quote Originally Posted by BR34 View Post
    Run.
    Then just keep on running. Get yourself a pair of boots -- don't have to be combat boots, just heavy boots and get used to the weight of running them on.

Do godzillions of pushups, pullups and situps.

Ah SSgt, I wouldn't recommend that if he isn't a runner! The problem with running in boots if you suck at running is the suport, which boots don't offer, plus the weight. If you're good at running, and have been doing it a while, boot runs are a great way to help. Just make sure you don't overdo it.

And basically the other Marines answered all the questions. See what proper grammer, a good attitude, and respect gets?

Yea, that's a note to all the other poolee's/wannabes.

Runner or not, he better get used to it. Better to go through the aches and pains now than in bootcamp

There weren't many boots & utes runs in boot camp, and definitely not many before they'd already conditioned you to running a lot in normal PT gear and having you walk everywhere in boots. You may want to try running in boots sometime before boot camp, but make sure you can handle a normal run first.

Quote Originally Posted by PTJenkins View Post
    and right now I'm a "wanna be" I didn't want to sign anything until I got myself in shape and knew that I had what it takes to be a Marine physically, not just mentally.
    Boot camp is incredibly demanding physically but trust me when I say that it's more mental than anything. You can always keep going physically but if you even think about if giving up on yourself mentally, you have no business going to boot camp. Because no matter how bad you want to stop and just sit down and quit, that Drill Instructor isn't going to give up on you. Good luck, man. I wish you the best.

Laughing at the poster apologizing in advance to WMarine. To tell the truth, I always double check my posts to make sure I don't get the wrath brought down on me!

Thread Information