Husband not able to go active. - Page 2
Create Post
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Socal2361 View Post
    Maybe they should find another forum site to cry and complain on if they are unable to handle the criticism that comes with a site that is meant for the Marine Corps. These arn't boy/girl scouts on this forum site, their Marines, so you should come to expect and accept the fact that you will be talked to in an abraisive and sometimes offensive manner. Don't like it? Join an Army forum site.

Last time I checked, Marines are always instructed to treat people with respect. Isn't it called the warrior ethos? "Be kind to all you meet, but have a plan to kill them." ??

Because someone asks for RESPECT instead of being spoken down to does not constitute as crying. Honestly, I'd love for someone to say that to my face. It's NEVER a good idea to be rude to a Marine's spouse. You never know what kind of crap an irrational, moody, pregnant, emotionally distraught woman might pull. (that's the honest truth--ask around)

My point was, maybe instead of CRITICIZING consider that the people asking questions have REASON to ask questions, so CONTRIBUTE and if you have nothing to contribute (and being offensive isn't contributing to anything but one's ego) you probably shouldn't say anything.

As far as this thread, I'm willing to bet that things are rough finding slots for new Marines, since the Corps has maxed out a lot of fields. I know for a fact that people in my husband's MOS are beginning to be encouraged to get out early. I don't know all the details, but I know boat space is limited. If that's not the reason (for sure) then the recruiter could just be giving him a hard time.

The only advice I can give is to try to be patient to find the solid answers. The Corps is all Hurry up and Wait. (Hurry up when they want you to, and wait when you want them to move.)

Last edited by DobbinsBlythe; 04-02-10 at 12:17 PM. Reason: grammar

Credits
    Savings
    Sick'um Dobbs !! Two great posts . Both very well said , Terse , and to the point.

Marine Family Free Member DevsDad's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    You know I love you guys.. but sometimes I think folks come here (parents, spouces, fiances, whatever) because you ARE Marines. They are seeking help for what for them are very real, very upsetting problems. They don't have your training or experiences. Sometimes I think SOME put No worse enemy before no BETTER friend!

Respectfully submitted.

PS Welcome 22nd MEU OUTSTANDING job Son!

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Some of the comments are presented in a pretty hard boiled manner but for the most part are based on personal experience. If you percieve a personal attack then contact admin. The do a dang good job of keeping us between the lines.

If you go on this forum asking Marines questions about the Marine Corps and get answers not to your liking don't get all teary eyed about it.

Let's keep this one on a professional keel, people. The Spouses and family DO have an interesting point (and one that I was only vaguely aware of) regarding some of the questions.

HOWever, lets keep in mind that this is, in fact, a Marine site, run by, for, and dedicated TO, Marines. No offense, but it's not a 'friends' site. Therefore, our 'rough around the edges' answers may not always be to some's liking. Spouse, Mom/Dad Poolee, or not. 90 percent of the time, no offense is intended, the harshness of language is how we speak to each other, and can occassionally come off as 'disrespectful' to everyone else.

Oh, and to correct the quote, (Which is more of a Law Enforcement than Marine Corps thing), "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet. ..."

It's usually a 'tongue in cheek' sorta thing and not exactly 'doctrine'.

And having been married for over 20 years, to my MARINE / 'Spouse', with 4 kids, multiple deployments, etc etc, she'd likely agree with Socal. Jus' sayin.

Again...I'm letting this alone because it's food for thought.....but we've tiptoed right up to the line. Cross it, and it's over. Black helos WILL extract.

Marine Spouse Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    My husband is trying to get back in. Does anyone think that because he has 3 dependents (me and two kids) he will have the same problems as haileyjewell's husband?

Has he been in contact with a Prior Service Recruiter? This one is sort of specialized, question wise. So, it's possible, but a different situation since he's Prior Service.

Marine Free Member AAV Crewchief's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by thewife View Post
    My husband is trying to get back in. Does anyone think that because he has 3 dependents (me and two kids) he will have the same problems as haileyjewell's husband?

What's his reup code on his DD214?

Im sorry if I caused any drama. I just though that actual Marines would have more experience on the subject than someone who is not. My husband talked to his recruitor again and he said it shouldn't be a problem with him going active but if I were to get pregnant (3 dependents then) he would have to go reserves.

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by Sgt Leprechaun View Post
    Has he been in contact with a Prior Service Recruiter? This one is sort of specialized, question wise. So, it's possible, but a different situation since he's Prior Service.
    He has a friend, who is a recruiter in Maine, who has been answering his questions and he said that he would not need to go to a Prior Service Recruiter. The fact that he has dependants has not even been addresses or even thought to be addressed.

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by AAV Crewchief View Post
    What's his reup code on his DD214?
    I doubt that he has one yet. He is waiting to talk to a recruiter until he makes weight. He does not want to waste anyone's time.

First, haileyjewell's husband didn't even go to boot camp, so he's not a Marine yet, and his situation with dependents is much different than yours.

I doubt that he has one yet. He is waiting to talk to a recruiter until he makes weight. He does not want to waste anyone's time.
    If your husband is prior service and was discharged, he has to have a reup code on his DD214 like AAV Crewchief said.

Quote Originally Posted by haileyjewell View Post
    Im sorry if I caused any drama. I just though that actual Marines would have more experience on the subject than someone who is not. My husband talked to his recruitor again and he said it shouldn't be a problem with him going active but if I were to get pregnant (3 dependents then) he would have to go reserves.
    Talking with an actual Marine who has experience on the subject = a Marine recruiter.
    The Marines here aren't recruiters, although there are a few who do come on the site from time to time, but we do try to give the best advice possible. The only way to get the answers you want is to talk with a recruiter.

Bold type,sharp tongues,beating a dead horse-Can't we all just get along? Or can some at least get a life and find a hobby! The short time I've been on this site I think the mods have done a decent job of keeping most in check, then again there are those who have an opinion on everything. Don't believe me, just ask a question and watch the flaming begin!

Thread Information