Getting a Name Change
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

Getting a Name Change

Hello, I was wondering If I got an official name change, would that affect my contract?
    I leave on the 28th of June. I want to obtain my father's last name in this name change, and take off my mother's.
    Will my recruiter have to do everything all over again? If he does, can I still leave on the same ship date?

Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Will I have to go through Meps, ASVAB, and Physcial all over again?

Dude go ask your recruiter, thats a question I'm sure he/she would be happy to answer for you.

Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    I would, but long story short. I dont have one.
    Since mine got restationed. I got my shipping out date,. and get called to poolee functions, like once every 2 months... by the other recruiters

Another recruiter had to take over for your recruiter, they just aren't going to let you hang in limbo without one. Next time you're at your RS, ask one of the recruiters who are there who your new recruiter is now.

I don't think you can do a name change without some legal documentation. You can't just change your name because you want to.

Quote Originally Posted by Chocopie View Post
    I would, but long story short. I dont have one.
    Since mine got restationed. I got my shipping out date,. and get called to poolee functions, like once every 2 months... by the other recruiters

Okay, ask one of those recruiters, I'm not trying to sound like a dick. However that is a question that a recruiter could answer better than most of us could. If I had to make an assumption I would probably say yes you would have to redo your contract and such.

You aren't going to get away without doing at least some paperwork. You will have to get new ID and such also if you get this name change. Maybe SS card? It will be a big hassle so hopefully it is worth it.

Phantom Blooper
    Guest Free Member
    If you have a legal name change....then that person with old name doesn't exist anymore....except for SS#.....then you need to change all documentation including birth certificate,SS card,drivers license,any bills, and basically any formal business you have...banks,credit etc.

And before you can do that you have to have documentation from the courts...the judge has to sign it...then the register of deeds has to register it.

Then the Marine Corps has to change it all in the system....

I knew a Marine who changed his last name legally....to hyphenate his birth father and added his mothers name and the legal process took him six months.

My advice to you is the same as the rest of the Marines...go back to the recruiting office and find the recruiter handling your paperwork or the NCOIC and explain what is going on....but I believe the process will take longer than two months....

If you some how get through the court system quickly...you will still need to notify the Marines of this change....ASAP.

You cannot go to boot camp saying your recruit Joe Blow and you changed your handle to Joe Smuckatelli.....

That would be a red flag for fraud....

If this was the case everyone with the witness protection program of enlisting age would be beating feet to a service recruiter.

I would wait until MOS school or your first duty station.
    Buddy of mine changed his name in MOS school... we have a long school and he started near when he got there, but he didn't get it done until about a month before he left.

Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    thanks for the responces. I am still undecisive. I want to leave in June, not a doubt.
    But I would like my father's last name, for when im in the Marines.
    I will talk to one of the recruiters, and see where it goes from there.

I had 2 names when I was 17. My birth certificate had one name and my church had a different name. Had to change it to my church name. I had to go before a state judge. Had to have a lawyer do the paper work.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Had a Marine in my first unit with 2 names, 2 ID cards, 2 drivers licenses, 2 social sercurity cards etc. At a routine traffic stop he handed the cop the wrong drivers license. That was the end of the road for him. It was a tangled web he wove. Not sure what happened to him after that but do know he got 6 6 and a kick.

Write a letter to obama he might be able to give you a few pointers.

Quote Originally Posted by tdrt View Post
    I don't think you can do a name change without some legal documentation. You can't just change your name because you want to.
    I think you can actually change it just because. I know my mom changed hers just because (kinda just because).

Ocho Cinco changed his name just because.

hmm...you could have changed your name to Troylina a long time ago...just because.

I wanna change my last name to Awesome!!

Thread Information