What Medal is this.......???
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Credits
    Savings

What Medal is this.......???

The medal on his chest looks like a Legion of Merit to me . Any other thoughts .

Dont know about the medal, but his uniform looks like it just came out of the sea bag.

Quote Originally Posted by Troutzilla View Post
    The medal on his chest looks like a Legion of Merit to me . Any other thoughts .

LOOKS PRETTY CLOSE TO ME
    THE GUY LOOKS LIKE A SOUP SANDWICH TO ME With the mismatched buttons
    and the Navy belt, Hands in pocket pool position ?

Ed:

He doesn't have his hands in his pockets. Those are Army gloves.

It is a Legion of Merit. Notice the "Army" belt. Many guys told me that overseas they had to wear parts of Army or SeaBee uniforms since Marine Corps uniforms weren't always available. As for the wrinkles, give him a break. Those are the old cotton khakis and irons overseas were not always available.

Quote Originally Posted by yanacek View Post
    It is a Legion of Merit. Notice the "Army" belt. Many guys told me that overseas they had to wear parts of Army or SeaBee uniforms since Marine Corps uniforms weren't always available. As for the wrinkles, give him a break. Those are the old cotton khakis and irons overseas were not always available.

You are correct and this picture may have been taken right after he was awarded this medal.

Quote Originally Posted by yanacek View Post
    No free pass on the uniform. If nothing else, he should have at the very least been able to find a bunk and put the uniform between the mattress and the springs, sleep on it and bingo pressed uniform.

looks a lot like this guy

no comments

yellowwing
    Guest Free Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Troutzilla View Post

Do you have this Marine's story behind this?

I think it's John Basilone.

Credits
    Savings

Story....

Quote Originally Posted by yellowwing View Post
    Do you have this Marine's story behind this?
    No not at this time. This picture came to me from a friend who wanted to know what the medal was. He say's his Aunt sent it to him and it was an Uncle he never knew. Supposedly his Aunt has a bunch of "stuff" from his Uncle and the Uncle was on Guadalcanal. That's all he has at this time....I'm hoping to hear or see more from him sometime soon.

Semper Fi

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by JRHD72 View Post
    I think it's John Basilone.
    No it is not John Basilone....my friend is not related.

It will be interesting to hear more about him. Based on his rank of Technical Sergeant, I'll be he was probably in the one of the Marine Air Wings. As for the uniform, I have seen many photos of Marines with missing or mismatched buttons, wearing SeaBee shirts, missing belts, etc. On some of the bases in the Pacific, replacement uniforms were very difficult to get and the officers and men sometimes resorted to even wearing penny loafers when their issue boots and shoes wore out. The guys I know who served with the Wing generally had it pretty good, although no one that I know had the luxury of a rack and a mattress. They slept on collapsible cots.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Marine View Post
    And in shelter halfs.
    Yeppers, and you hoped like hell that if you had "snaps" on your shelter half so did your buddy. When I had "snaps" the bud had "buttons". If you're old enough to remember these, you're old enough to know what I'm talking about.

ROTFLMAO

Thread Information