MCRD PI or MCRDSD?
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

MCRD PI or MCRDSD?

Hi, I was told by my recruiter that I can either go to PI or SD for bootcamp, and was wondering what others thought about each one. I was told I can choose because my father went to MCRD PI, and if you have an immediate family member who went, you are given the choice to go there too... The only thing that is making me second guess not being a "Hollywood" Marine (my father's words) is the fact that my family would have spend spend a lot more to see me graduate...Does anyone have any opinions on this?

No. You go to Recruit Training based on locality, period. There is no choice. A recruiter *may* come along and contradict me on this, but I doubt it.

When you are in the Corps, you'll hear the arguments as to which is better, but I dont get into that argument because it is already a well known and settled universal fact that Parris Island Marines are absolutely the far superior Marines.

But seriously, I didnt know anyone could have a choice to go and Sgt Lep is probably right. But if you do, it really doesnt matter because both Depots produce the finest fighting force known to all mankind: US Marines.

We can give you all sorts of varied and opposing opinions that would make you even more confused, so I would suggest you lay out your options and concerns to both your famliy and Dad as you did here, and then make your decision based on what you hear from them. You may find that they all want you to go to PI and are willing to spend the extra $$. On the other hand, you may find out that many of them cannot make it because of time and money.

So weigh in their thoughts an opinions but remember, you ultimately have to decide what you want to do and what you'll be most comfortable with. After talking with them, I think you'll find them to be supportive and helpful and that your decision will come pretty easily.

I dont know if this was helpful or not, but regardless, good luck!

I believe there's a few states that you get that option with, because of it's location.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Besides the Mississippi River being a decider and there are some states such as Michigan who more or less toss a coin to decide which coast to send you to. There are certain special circumstances where you (could) get to choose. If for instance you live in Colorado and your dad went to boot camp at Paris Island, you can request to attend boot camp at PI. Key word request ... they could easilly just say no. The legacy request is the only one I can think of where you (might) get to choose.

Boot camp is boot camp and unless you can find someone who has been through boot camp on both coasts you'll never know. Everyone thinks the one they attended is the best.

Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Hmm... I guess I will just stick with SD to make it easy on my family. Though it would be cool to be a 3rd generation PI Marine. .....Well I swear into DEP on April 1st(yeah...my recruiter didn't catch that till after my parents pointed it out that it was april fools day) nice start to a military life eh? :P

Quote Originally Posted by ameriken View Post
    When you are in the Corps, you'll hear the arguments as to which is better, but I dont get into that argument because it is already a well known and settled universal fact that Parris Island Marines are absolutely the far superior Marines.
    Well said

You only get choice if you had a family member (father or grand-father) Prior Marine, that went to either one of the Depots then you can go to the same Depot that they graduated from. The only other chance is if there are available bed spaces at one Depot and there isn't at the one you are intended to go to. (That rarely happens)

Quote Originally Posted by ameriken View Post

But seriously, I didnt know anyone could have a choice to go and Sgt Lep is probably right. But if you do, it really doesnt matter because both Depots produce the finest fighting force known to all mankind: US Marines.

Quote Originally Posted by Bulkyker View Post
    Boot camp is boot camp and unless you can find someone who has been through boot camp on both coasts you'll never know. Everyone thinks the one they attended is the best.
    Exactly. The closest thing I can think of as a way to TRY to compare the two would be a Marine who attended bootcamp at PI and went to SOI West. SOI certainly doesn't have the stress, but it has the hills, which, when going through the traditional arguement is always the thing that combats the sand fleas.

I'm biting a hole through my tongue right now not to get into that fight, by the way.

Quote Originally Posted by Hanzo View Post
    Exactly. The closest thing I can think of as a way to TRY to compare the two would be a Marine who attended bootcamp at PI and went to SOI West. SOI certainly doesn't have the stress, but it has the hills, which, when going through the traditional arguement is always the thing that combats the sand fleas.

I'm biting a hole through my tongue right now not to get into that fight, by the way.
    I went to Pendleton last year. In my quest to find a Church's Chicken I stumbled upon SOI West.

I saw the hills. I also saw tons of new Marines walking around with PX bags, eating Dominoes pizza, or sitting on their asses somewhere on cell phones.

I guess it's a trade off; the only way they get to eat their Krispy Kreme is if they first climb to the hill that it's sitting on.

Quote Originally Posted by DaGhost View Post
    You only get choice if you had a family member (father or grand-father) Prior Marine, that went to either one of the Depots then you can go to the same Depot that they graduated from. The only other chance is if there are available bed spaces at one Depot and there isn't at the one you are intended to go to. (That rarely happens)

Well, I'll be darned. Thanks, I learned something today.

PI or Pendelton? well PI just suited me fine.i went to schools at delmar, SC. was a nice change.but whow wants to be a HOLLYWOOD MARINE.HAHAHA!.Once a MARINE ALWAYS A MARINE

Quote Originally Posted by kabar1 View Post
    well PI just suited me fine.i went to schools at delmar, SC.
    Isn't Delmar at Pendleton?

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Maybe he was saying Del Mar, SC,,,Southern California.

Thread Information