leaving for PI in 10 days!
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Registered User Free Member joemustang's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings

Cool leaving for PI in 10 days!

hey there everybody! i leave for PI bootcamp in 10 days and i would like to know if what im doin workout wise is going to help me come IST time and all the "fun" stuff ill be doin, or what my DI will see that i do: i try to work out everyday at a local gym near my moms work. i either ride my bicycle or run there everytime i go. i try to work 1 to 2 areas of my body a day and i drink water or gatorade along with a protein bar. i work out for a bout 1.5 hours if i can. my numbers on my last IST i did at my poolee meetin was 11 pull ups, 70 crunches, and 1.5 miles in 11:07. any more advice that would be helpful to me, either physical or mental would be greatly appreciated! i cant wait to become a Marine!!

Joemustang, by those numbers you will be ahead of most people in your platoon. My advice, is the same that the drifter gave to me when I shipped : "take it one day at a time. you can do anything for one day, can't you?" You will get quarterdecked, but never take it personal or lose site of your goal: to become a United States Marine. Stay motivated, and good luck.

Yours in Intensity,

Joe

firstsgtmike
    Guest Free Member
    Joe,

There may be many who will disagree with me, and I won't argue the point.

My boot camp experience is from 45 years ago, although as a Recruiter I spoke with a few hundred graduates from MCRD in the 70's.

The primary stress was mental, not physical.

Keep on working out, and there are many who can give you tips on that.

My suggestion is to spend as much time as possible reading all of the postings in the two poolee forums and to follow the threads to materials available on other sites.

Knowledge is Power. Be prepared. Know your General Orders, the Rifleman's Creed, and the Code of Conduct.

Read of the experiences of the returning poolees, (now Marines) and learn what they have posted to share with you.

This is an opportunity where, if you learn how to talk the talk, it will be easier to walk the walk.

The yellow brick road will lead you to an adventure that you will never forget.

I used to call it the Million Dollar Experience. Returning recruits would tell me that they wouldn't do boot camp again for a Million Dollars, but also that they wouldn't take a Million Dollars for the experience.

I look forward to reading your first post when you return as a Marine.

If you give it all you've got, you will get all you can get. Half steps only get you halfway to the goal line.

We will be waiting here to welcome you home.

And remember that every thing that comes out of your mouth begins and ends with "Sir!"

Cool START OF A NEW LIFE.........

No matter what goes down in boot camp, always remember your goal is to become a United States Marine. If you have what it takes you will succeed. It has to be in your heart and soul to become a Marine. Good Luck, and I hope that I will be able to one day Welcome you into the Brother/SisterHood...............

The Drifter

Joe,
    I when through Boot Camp in 1962 at MCRD and it was the that
    could happen to a person. Keep your mind set on becoming a
    Marine and it will happen.
    Joe, I'll be 59 next month and would love to be in your shoes.
    Semper Fi and Be a Marine For Always.
    Robbie

Credits
    Savings
    well in 5 more days i will be heading down to Parris Island and i cant wait. it sorta sux that i dont have a license because it got revoked and i cant go see some of my close friends who have went off to college but i think that they are coming to see me if they can. i just got one question, what time will i be goin to sleep and what time will i be waking up? ive always wanted to know that and have never read that anywhere on this site or anyother sites, thanks.

firstsgtmike
    Guest Free Member
    Joe,

I can't believe that is the only question on your mind.

From memory, your first night is designed to be a loooong one.

After that, sleep time is 9 to 5.

The first few days, you will feel like you didn't have a chance to close your eyes before it was time to get up.

After that, "farm boys" would lay awake awaiting the arrival of the Drill Instructor making sure that everyone was up and about.

I could add more, and tell stories, but that would be cheating.

It would be like telling my youngest, who is discovering the story of Cinderella in school, how the story ends.

For YOU, the basic adventure ends when we can welcome you aboard as a Marine.

Five days and counting. Those of us who have done our best to prepare you will begin OUR count five days from now.

Our thoughts, prayers and wishes go with you

All we ask is that you check in with us when you return.

Registered User Free Member JChristin's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Hey Joe,

Get as much sleep as you can now - it will seem like a luxury in 6 days from now, and you would of wished you had!

Be sure to trim those finger and toe nails the day before you ship. It's the small things that will count later.

Lay around in the bathtub. That too will seem like a luxury.

Sleep, sleep, sleep.

Follow exactly what FirstSgt Mike says to do. He, as always, is right on the mark.

Then sleep.

semper fi,
    jchristin

Credits
    Savings
    Images

Thumbs up

Joe,

Just shut your mouth and speak only when spoken to. You'll know what we are talking about. You seem to be well prepared. To volunteer is not a bad thing, it is just the interpretation of what a volunteer is in your eyes, keep sharp. And as MajMike said the first and last words are "SIR"

Marine forever,

GySgtRet

Credits
    Savings
    thanks guys for giving me advice. prob starting tomorrow im gunna stay home and sleep until i get bored layin in the bed or i have to take a **** really bad. and my dad has hammered it in my head that my first and last words are sir and to do what im told to do and ask questions if i misunderstand anything the DIs tell me. he was a marine and still has that honor and he can still recite all the general orders and prob misses maybe a word or two. also ive heard that shower time isnt very long, i went to a mini bootcamp in 9th grade and we had like one minute to shower, any feedback on that would be nice to know!

Credits
    Savings
    firstsgtmike, i live on a farm and when i was at that mini bootcamp we were woken up at like 5 and i was up n at em, actually waitin for them to wake us up with metal trash can lids. it didnt seem like i was actually sleepin, more like resting my body and i was still alert, i guess it was all the adrenaline pumpin in me and i know that i will have that same adrenaline at bootcamp, because i have it in my heart that i will graduate and earn that glorious title of united states marine!

Joemustang,

Marine is always Capitolized. NEVER call a Drill Instructor a "DI". You will regret it. Keep your mouth shut, eyes and ears open, and give all you have. I would try not to think about it, as you will be living it very shortly, with your mind always trying to anticipate what comes next. It doesn't help, because you will never know. Discipline is: The instant willing obedience to orders, respect for authority, self reliance. Good luck, and I will keep you in my prayers. Your friends will never understand what you talk of if you become one of us, but we will.

Stay the Course,

Joe

joemustang

Good luck,

Don't forget to take your own pillow, and pajamas.

Send us your address, so that we can send you a box of pokey bait.

and maybe some of the ladies here can send you a card with SWAK (Sealed with a kiss) written on the outside of the envelope.

Heheheheh

Credits
    Savings
    for some reason i dont think ill be doin either 3 of those rat patrol but thanks for offerin your advice

Thread Information