Former NYC mayor reassures future Marines and families
Create Post

Cool Former NYC mayor reassures future Marines and families

Former NYC mayor reassures future Marines and families
    Submitted by: 1st Marine Corps District
    Story Identification Number: 200398175524
    Story by Sgt. Amanda R. Hay

NEW YORK(Sept. 8, 2003) -- About 450 future Marines from New York and their loved ones recently gathered for an evening of camaraderie and fellowship aboard the Intrepid Sea-Air Space Museum in Manhattan.

The Marines of Recruiting Sub-Stations Bronx, Brooklyn, Flatbush, Manhattan and Staten Island hosted a class-act poolee family night to formally introduce them to the Marines Corps, build rapport amongst the families and allow them to better understand their son/daughters commitment.

The Marine Corps band from Marine Corps Base Quantico, Va., set the mood as they performed patriotic tunes as guests arrived and while they ate dinner.

The hits of the evening, however, were David Dinkins and two Marine mothers from Brooklyn who emotionally helped each other and fellow mothers while their sons were involved in Operation Iraqi Freedom.

The guest speaker, Dinkins, who is a former Marine and New York City mayor, shared words of encouragement and spoke of how the earning the title Marine affected his life.

A Montford Point Marine who served during World War II, Dinkins said he had two options; he could either enlist or get drafted. "I figured the way to stay alive was to be well-trained; well-trained meant becoming a Marine." He added, "I have to say ... it's the smartest thing I've ever done."

In spite of the hardships he faced due to segregation, he said the Marine Corps has definitely helped develop him become the man he is today. "Regardless of the training or employment I've had, I never cease to be a Marine," Dinkins said. "To this day, I continuously find myself referring to what I learned as a Marine."

In closing he told the families to not to fear; their son or daughter have made a wise choice to become a Marine. He praised the poolees as he said, "You are some of the best and brightest young men and women in New York City. You will become a source of moral wealth and you give me hope that the scales will ultimately tip on the side of justice."

Following Dinkins' speech, Doris Abdullah and Terri Compton, Blue Star Mothers from Brooklyn who initiated support groups for fellow mothers of Marines deployed during the war, were recognized.

The mother of poolee, Ray Williams, a 17-year-old senior of Canarsie High School in Brooklyn, said she felt a lot better with his choice at the end of the night. "When I did the parental consent I wasn't apprehensive, but it was hard for me to let go," Djanna Brathwaite-Stampley said. "When I saw in his eyes the next day that this is really what he wants, I was confident in his decision. Now, I feel I have more closure."

She added it was comforting to see other families, especially the two mothers from Brooklyn. They exchanged numbers so they can reach out to each other as needed.

It is important the families know they are not alone, said Gunnery Sgt. Adrian Valencia, the staff noncommissioned officer-in-charge of RSS Flatbush. "The family night is a perfect example of that," Valencia said. It shows them the type a organization that the Marine Corps is. It's an organization of people who look out for and care for each other."

As families left at the end of the evening they mingled with the mothers and the former Marines from the Marine Corps League and Montford Point Marine Association, which gave them a well-rounded, thorough idea of what this organization is all about.

http://www.usmc.mil/marinelink/image...nkins%2072.jpg

David Dinkins, both former Marine and Mayor of New York City received a Semper Fidelis award from the Marines of RS NY following his speech at a recent family night. (pictured in photo is Sergeant Major Fenton Reese and Major J.J. Dill, the sergeant major and commanding officer of RS NY) Dinkins, who is now a professor in the School of International and Public Relations at Columbia University in Manhattan, was an excellent proof source for the Marines of NY. Although he is native of Trenton, N.J. he is well-respected because he is a self-made man from the inner city who excelled, dedicated his life to public service and the people of New York City.
    Photo by: Sgt A.R. Hay

The Drifter

firstsgtmike
    Guest Free Member
    If I had known that Dinkins was a Marine, I would have voted for him.

Thread Information