Juniors in DEP
Create Post

Thread: Juniors in DEP

Juniors in DEP

Hello Marines,

Just wondering if any of you Marines knew if you need to be a Senior in high school to DEP in. I am currently a Junior and am wondering if I have to wait in till when I become a Senior.

Thank you Marines.

Quote Originally Posted by fs19 View Post
    Yes, you do.
    Alright, thank you Marine. I will definitely be there next year.

US Military Enlistment Standards
    Age Limits

By federal law (10 U.S.C., 505), the minimum age for enlistment in the United States Military is 17 (with parental consent) and 18 (without parental consent).

http://usmilitary.about.com/od/joini...y/a/enlage.htm

Quote Originally Posted by WMarine View Post
    US Military Enlistment Standards
    Age Limits

By federal law (10 U.S.C., 505), the minimum age for enlistment in the United States Military is 17 (with parental consent) and 18 (without parental consent).

http://usmilitary.about.com/od/joini...y/a/enlage.htm
    Yes, I am aware of this I am 17 but am a Junior. I was told that I have to be a senior and at least 17 DEP in though.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    That would probably go hand in hand with the fact that you can only be in DEP for one year. You could probably get in DEP during the summmer between your junior and senior year.

No, you do not HAVE to be a Senior, its how close or not you are to finishing your diploma. For example, if you get 7 classes a year, you will have 28 credits if you do not fail anything, if it takes 24 credits to get a diploma then by your junior year you should have 21 credits, in some school systems you can opt for a early graduation and "graduate" midway through senior year once you have met the minimum requirment for your diploma. This means that it IS possible to enlist as a junior because you can stay in the DEP for up to a year before you have to re enlist again. I know all this first hand.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Granger1 View Post
    No, you do not HAVE to be a Senior, its how close or not you are to finishing your diploma. For example, if you get 7 classes a year, you will have 28 credits if you do not fail anything, if it takes 24 credits to get a diploma then by your junior year you should have 21 credits, in some school systems you can opt for a early graduation and "graduate" midway through senior year once you have met the minimum requirment for your diploma. This means that it IS possible to enlist as a junior because you can stay in the DEP for up to a year before you have to re enlist again. I know all this first hand.

Well stated.

Thank you for all the responses, Marines. I will probably just wait in till the summer to try or next year.

As far as my knowledge goes, the Marine Corps is the only branch that will not send anyone to bootcamp that is still in high school. Because of this, you must wait like Granger1 said.

I talked to a recruiter and he asked me a bunch of questions. He said I am good to enlist but the only problem is that I am still a Junior. Thanks for the assistance, Marines.

Well, until you're able to enlist, use this time to get yourself into better shape, keep up your grades, and stay out of trouble.
    Good luck to you!

Also search around the site for information, there is a TON of it here. It's very useful!

Thread Information