Honor Graduate Inquiry
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Lightbulb Honor Graduate Inquiry

Hello Marines!

I am set to ship off to MCRDPI in a few days and am extremely excited! I can't wait to start my journey into the World's Finest Fighting Force. I feel that I have spent the past few months wisely in preparing myself mentally and physically, and with the least amount of arrogance implied, I've come to realize that (after a long talk with my recruiter) I might be a good candidate for Guide and maybe even Honor Grad!

I've heard from a few different Marines that in order to hold onto the position of Platoon Guide, you have to be almost Drill Instructor like. Then again, I've also heard that you need to be a "buddy" type of a leader. I'm just wondering if there tends to be any kind of trend? Or just some more opinions would be helpful too.

Thanks Marines,
    Duke!

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    I don't wanna burst your moto bubble here but don't worry about it, even if you do make guide or squad leader right away you won't be there long.

Just earn your title and move on, boot camp is definitely a big stepping stone but after graduation that title of guide or squad leader means nothing. You will be just another Pvt/PFC at SOI and MOS school.

Generally the DIs will pick the guys who stand out the most. Or someone with some college or prior military service.

Just do your time and get through boot.

Quote Originally Posted by NinjaMerdman View Post
    Hello Marines!

I am set to ship off to MCRDPI in a few days and am extremely excited! I can't wait to start my journey into the World's Finest Fighting Force. I feel that I have spent the past few months wisely in preparing myself mentally and physically, and with the least amount of arrogance implied, I've come to realize that (after a long talk with my recruiter) I might be a good candidate for Guide and maybe even Honor Grad!

I've heard from a few different Marines that in order to hold onto the position of Platoon Guide, you have to be almost Drill Instructor like. Then again, I've also heard that you need to be a "buddy" type of a leader. I'm just wondering if there tends to be any kind of trend? Or just some more opinions would be helpful too.

Thanks Marines,
    Duke!
    There are multiple "billets" in boot camp and being platoon guide is one of them. As a platoon guide, you must delegate authority to you squad leaders and you have to stay on top of them. DI's will hold you responsible for the recruits in your platoon and guides to get 'fired' at times. To even have a shot at platoon honor man, you have to hold the position all the way to graduation. Your intelligence, leadership, commitment and honor will help you achieve that goal. Remember, your DIs and SDI will be watching you. It's a tough job but you will learn what a leadership position is like. Good luck.

Honor Grad

I recently just graduated honor grad (20100312) and it wasnt easy. First things first, be motivated from the beginning! Sound off, be quick at everything you do and don't forget to help your fellow recruits. You might not think so, but the drill instructors take notice. Also don't be scared to take charge. Don't be that ******* that assumes he knows what's best, but if you think you can assume leadership over the platoon don't wait for an invitation. Platoon guide isn't necessarily honor grad, but we (the other honor graduates and myself) were the guides of our platoons. You pretty much do need to be the Drill Instructors' right hand man. That might make you seem like an ******* to the other recruits but if they look closely they'll see that you're trying to get through bootcamp just like them.

<<I hope that helped. If you have any other questions ask away>>

Quote Originally Posted by NinjaMerdman View Post
    Hello Marines!

Thanks Marines,
    Duke!
    I remember when I went through there were times a guide would probably last for 5 minutes just worry about earning our EGA, just don't go in with a big head because your DI's will crush it,lol, Good Luck.

Note that the honor grad is among the whole company, not just your platoon. Only one guide will get that meritorious promotion. About half a dozen in each platoon may get an meritorious PFC if they're not contract but that's typically the guide, squad leaders, high shooter and perhaps the scribble.

Oh, of note: if you get chosen to the be the guide, be nice to your scribe. He'll know more about the behind the scenes inner workings of the platoon than anyone else so you'll rely on him to prepare you for the next day/week of training.

Best thing to do is tell your drill instructors that you intend to be the company honor grad. Make that clear from TD 1. You could even ask for advice as to how to get their. They will appreciate your candor and hook you up.

Quote Originally Posted by usmcrro View Post
    There are multiple "billets" in boot camp and being platoon guide is one of them. As a platoon guide, you must delegate authority to you squad leaders and you have to stay on top of them. DI's will hold you responsible for the recruits in your platoon and guides to get 'fired' at times. To even have a shot at platoon honor man, you have to hold the position all the way to graduation. Your intelligence, leadership, commitment and honor will help you achieve that goal. Remember, your DIs and SDI will be watching you. It's a tough job but you will learn what a leadership position is like. Good luck.
    Um. Our honor man was never guide. I think he was squad leader for like, half the time there.

Quote Originally Posted by FattyTheFerret View Post
    Note that the honor grad is among the whole company, not just your platoon. Only one guide will get that meritorious promotion. About half a dozen in each platoon may get an meritorious PFC if they're not contract but that's typically the guide, squad leaders, high shooter and perhaps the scribble.

Oh, of note: if you get chosen to the be the guide, be nice to your scribe. He'll know more about the behind the scenes inner workings of the platoon than anyone else so you'll rely on him to prepare you for the next day/week of training.

I don't know how yall did it but each of the honor guides got promoted. There were 8 of us in total I think; 6 male guides and 2 female guides.

Quote Originally Posted by MoTiVaTeD2010 View Post
    I don't know how yall did it but each of the honor guides got promoted. There were 8 of us in total I think; 6 male guides and 2 female guides.
    To PFC, right? Or are they giving out landing gear to more than one Marine per company these days?

Our Honor Graduates were determined by the combination of PFT score, CFT score, Pro and Con marks, academic scores, rifle range score, and leadership ability.

You can be an outstanding leader, but if you can't shoot or are dumber than a box of hair in academics, you really don't stand a chance. They're looking for a well rounded hard charging Marine to promote.

Quote Originally Posted by JenLat View Post
    Our Honor Graduates were determined by the combination of PFT score, CFT score, Pro and Con marks, academic scores, rifle range score, and leadership ability.

You can be an outstanding leader, but if you can't shoot or are dumber than a box of hair in academics, you really don't stand a chance. They're looking for a well rounded hard charging Marine to promote.
    Do they really give individual PRO/CON marks in bootcamp now? When I went through, they told us pretty much everyone got the same marks unless.

Quote Originally Posted by hussaf View Post
    Do they really give individual PRO/CON marks in bootcamp now? When I went through, they told us pretty much everyone got the same marks unless.
    We all got Pro/cons when I graduated in 08.

As far as being guide-

Don't go in with the attitude of "trying to be the guide", you won't succeed and you will look like an ass.
    The best way to stand out is to be smart ("book smarts" are important, but common sense is more so) extremely physically fit, mature, and a natural leader. Take charge of your fellow recruits, but don't be the ass hat that thinks he is the **** when he is really just another dumbass. If your a mature leader who is not afraid to take charge and gives the impression that you want to kill everything, all while getting the highest swim qual. you have a chance to attempt, expert rifleman, and a high (280+) PFT, you'll have a pretty good chance at being guide and maybe honor grad.

Quote Originally Posted by hussaf View Post
    Mostly all the same but in my company the guide, squad leader and scribbles got a point or two higher unless they were ****bags. Pretty sure I left with 4.5/4.5.

It should also be noted to the OP, you're the guide and you get fired in 2nd phase, don't let that bother you. One SDI told me that any good senior drill instructor will fire his preferred guide at least once during the cycle. Otherwise they get big heads and turn into **** bags by the end.

Thread Information