Fleet?
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fleet?

Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

Question Fleet?

Okay, so I am totally new to the Marine life.. I know pretty much everything about the Army(served) and the Navy (ex husband).. So, db was trying to explain to me that when he gets back from deployment and gets his new orders he'll be going to fleet.. He's tried to explain this to me a couple of times and I just don't understand what the heck it means.. Can someone explain this to me?

thanks soo much

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    It means You'll be the Wife of a Sea Going Bellhop(LMAO) S/F

Credits
    Savings
    you serious? well he's an 0331.. so i dont know if that would make a difference or not.. im guessing deployments will happen quite a bit?

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    I Was an 0311 Loved being a Fleet Marine,You'll be Fine Lady...and So will Your Marine GodBless You Both stay Semper~Fidelis 4Ever GoodLuck...

Credits
    Savings
    okay thanks soo much fist.. ya he hates being in FAST he can't wait to get to Fleet soo bad its crazy.. thats all he pretty much talks about lol.. thanks you too godbless

Last edited by thedrifter; 03-18-10 at 08:34 AM.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Going to the "Fleet" simply means he will be assigned to a regular infantry unit within the the Fleet Marine Force structure. Shortened to just "Fleet." It's the main part of the Marine Corps.

Phantom Blooper
    Guest Free Member
    The "fleet" is slang for either Fleet Marine Force (Pacific/Atlantic) depending on what side of the globe you are on....also known as the FMF.

This tour or duty can last from months to years depending on rank,MOS,needs of the Marine Corps and various other things associated with military life.

Since he is an 0331 he will more than likely for the remainder of his hitch be deployed somewhere.....whether it be in harms way or on a naval vessel for six months.

There is also pre-deployment work ups and training....there is free time but allot of field time and training will be involved.

Work hard....Play hard....

The "fleet" is considered to be one of the Marine Corps Divisions.....

1stMARDIV Camp Pendleton,California....

2ndMARDIV Camp Lejeune,NC...

3rdMARDIV Camp Courtney,Okinawa,Japan...

4thMARDIV (Reserves) New Orleans,LA

The Divisions are broken down into Battalions and the Battalions are broken down into Companys.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    I just can't wrap myself around the idea of being deployed and not in the fleet. Especially a young 03. How do you get deployed if you are not in a fleet unit? Seems more and more lately young wives and girlfriends are getting bum scoop on what a deployment is. If you go on a training evolution to say Ft. Drum New York ... that is not a deployment. If you get stationed in Cuba ... that is not a deployment. If you go to a 2 month long school in BFE that is not a deployment.

More than just the 4 divisions are part of the fleet. All of the wings and FSSG's are also part of the fleet. Any training unit such as quantico or bridgeport are not considered part of the FMF.

What unit is he with now and where is he deployed?

Maybe in Army terms, deployed means when not on leave

Marine Free Member AAV Crewchief's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by fastgirl07 View Post
    okay thanks soo much fist.. ya he hates being in FAST he can't wait to get to Fleet soo bad its crazy.. thats all he pretty much talks about lol.. thanks you too godbless

He should be careful what he wishes for...he might get it.

Marine Free Member AAV Crewchief's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Just an FYI,

4thMARDIV (Reserves) New Orleans,LA is NOT the FLEET.

If he is with a FAST Company now that means he went Security Forces and was deployed somewhere with them. Now he will go back to a grunt unit and most likely be with a Weapons Company as a Machinegunner.

The Fleet is a myth.

Phantom Blooper
    Guest Free Member
    4thMARDIV (Reserves) New Orleans,LA is NOT the FLEET.
    If activated they could be considered...

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by Phantom Blooper View Post
    The "fleet" is slang for either Fleet Marine Force (Pacific/Atlantic) depending on what side of the globe you are on....also known as the FMF.

This tour or duty can last from months to years depending on rank,MOS,needs of the Marine Corps and various other things associated with military life.

Since he is an 0331 he will more than likely for the remainder of his hitch be deployed somewhere.....whether it be in harms way or on a naval vessel for six months.

There is also pre-deployment work ups and training....there is free time but allot of field time and training will be involved.

Work hard....Play hard....

The "fleet" is considered to be one of the Marine Corps Divisions.....

1stMARDIV Camp Pendleton,California....

2ndMARDIV Camp Lejeune,NC...

3rdMARDIV Camp Courtney,Okinawa,Japan...

4thMARDIV (Reserves) New Orleans,LA

The Divisions are broken down into Battalions and the Battalions are broken down into Companys.

okay that explains soo much.. i appreciate it.. and him being in and out doesnt bother me i just wanted to know a little bit of what i was in for in a sense if that makes any sense at all?

Thread Information