Marine killed in wrong-way crash
Create Post

Marine killed in wrong-way crash

AUSTELL — The victim of a fatal wrong-way crash Saturday afternoon has been identified as Marine Lance Corporal Gregory M. Suedmeyer.

Cobb police said Suedmeyer, 21, and his 19-year-old wife, Katelyn Suedmeyer, were driving just before 5 p.m. on Interstate 20 at Six Flags Drive when their green 2000 Mitsubishi Mirage sedan collided head-on with a gray 2008 Chevrolet Silverado pickup truck.

Gregory was transported to Grady Hospital where he later died of his injuries, police said.

His wife was transported by helicopter to Atlanta Medical Center, where she is listed in critical but stable condition, Cobb Police Officer Joe Hernandez said on Sunday.

The Sudemeyers resided at Marine Corps Base Camp Lejeune near Jacksonville, N.C. The couple was on their way to visit family in Alabama when the crash happened, reported WITN-TV, an NBC-affiliated station in eastern North Carolina.

Police identified Bruce Joseph Quayle, 71, of Villa Rica as the driver of the pickup truck. He was taken to Grady Hospital, where he is listed in stable condition.

Hernandez said Quayle will face charges, but did not say what they would be. He said the investigation is ongoing.

The Douglas County Emergency Communications Center received numerous calls in reference to a wrong way driver at I-20 and Lee Road in Douglas County, Cobb police reported. The complaint was that a Chevrolet Silverado was traveling eastbound in the westbound lanes.

After the pickup truck crossed the Cobb County line, it was occupying the inside westbound lanes, according to investigators.

-

Credits
    Savings
    May you reast in peace Brother. Prayers outbound for his wife and family.

Credits
    Savings
    That was on WITN news last night. Really sad. The news anchor claimed the pick up traveled 5 miles going the wrong way before hitting there car. WTF was the driver thinking?
    Prayers out to the wife and family.

That's terrible! Thoughts and prayers for his family.

Credits
    Savings
    Man I hate to hear of people, and Marines in particular, being killed by other peoples stupidity. Thoughts and prayers are outbound to the wife and family.

jetdawgg
    Guest Free Member
    What a tragic event. RIP Marine and prayers to your family

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    I feel so bad for these folks. You guys would be surprised at the number of duma$$e$ that drive down the wrong side of a freeway.

My prayers go out to his wife and family and friends...

Rest in Peace Lance Corporal Suedmeyer...

Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    May I extend my condolences to his family and friends, and his extended military family.

Rest In Peace

Dave Humm

RIP brother, prayers out to the family.

I hope they burn the idiot driver.

Phantom Blooper
    Guest Free Member
    Warrant issued for wrong-way driver accused of killing Lejeune Marine

March 18, 2010 3:51 PM
    Associated Press

MARIETTA, Ga. — Cobb County authorities have issued a warrant for the arrest of a man blamed for killing a 21-year-old Marine driving home to Alabama in a head-on collision.

Cobb County police spokesman Officer Joe Hernandez said Thursday that 71-year-old Bruce Joseph Quayle of Villa Rica is charged with homicide by vehicle, serious injury by vehicle, driving under the influence, reckless driving and driving on the wrong side of the road. Hernandez says Quayle cannot be formally arrested until he is released from the hospital, where he is in stable condition.

Police say Quayle was driving the wrong way on Interstate 20 when he hit a car driven by Lance Cpl. Gregory M. Suedmeyer, killing the Marine and injuring his 19-year-old wife, Katelyn Suedmeyer. Police say the Suedmeyers were headed home to Huntsville, Ala., from Camp Lejeune.

Thread Information