What makes a Marine get out and join another branch of service?
Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Credits
    Savings
    Images

What makes a Marine get out and join another branch of service?

I was just thinking about how proud I am to be a Marine and all the respect I've always gotten from any branch of the service and civilians.
    It made me think what makes a Marine get out of the Corps and join another branch of service?
    How does it feel to be in another branch of service after being a Marine the BEST OF THE BEST
    Semper Fi Redman

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Interesting Question Buddy???
    I have no Input on that but would like to see the Responses.

Semper Fi,
    Rocky

Will during the 80's alot of our brothers joined the Navy to become Navy Corpman. I knew about 5 brothers. SEMPER FI OOOOOOOOORRRRRRRAAAAAAAHHHH

STEPHEN DOC HANSEN HM3 FMF

I got out of the Corps and joined the national guard for the state tuition waiver while I went to college.

I am proud of having been a Marine. However...

I got called up for a year for one of Clinton's BS little war exercises. I got sent to a base support battalion in Germany. The active duty army officers didn't like us because we were guard, so they stuck us in their worst barracks, two to a room (regular army were one to a room) and stuck us with lots of extra work and extra long shifts the regular guys were not doing.

I still lived twice as good, with more time off, and more support, better clubs and rec facilities when I stayed on base then I had when I was an air winger.

The army was also much better about special pays for things like shift work.

The army and air force take better care of their men.

I had two reasons,
    Age, I wanted to come back as an officer. After talking with the OSO he said he could get me a waiver but told me the chances of it being turned down was about 99.9%.
    More opportunities, I wanted to get back in as a reservist. I had a good job just wanted to be able to experience the commoradarie/brotherhood that I missed so much. Unfortunately the Corps has very few units around here (only one in a couple hundred mile radious). Whereas the Guard has units all over the place.
    I can say that while I do wear an Army uniform, my soldiers have nicknamed me "The Marine." While I can't starch my uniforms I do iron them, in fact I iron my cover to make it look as best as I can, considering how bad they look normally.
    I have also demanded that my junior soldiers show respect to my NCO's (they make them respect me).
    I could go on and on about how I use my experiences as a Marine to train my soldiers.

Got out and after about 6 months had the itch to still be in the military ... joined up with the Army Guard unit near me. Got married about 2 years later and wife joined the Navy ... she wound up getting stationed in New Orleans with the P-3 aircraft ... a USAF reserve unit was changing aircraft to the A-10 and where hiring Air Reserve Technicians (ART civil service and military) was hired and did an inter service transfer ... have been with them since.
    Will say this everybody that comes in contact with me knows I did not start out in the Army or Air Force ... my persona and attitude speaks nothing but the Corps.

SF
    Mike

The Marines I know that did were looking for a new or different challenge. All were 03's and all were Sgt's. They were all good to outstanding Marines (no ****birds). But, in their view, the Army offered more opportunities and flexability to move into the special ops fields than the Marines did at the time. A couple went Ranger and I know at least one more went Special Forces then eventually Delta.
    I've talked with them since, though not lately and all were proud of their Marine heritage and thought it helped them.

Great question, I know of several Marine buddies that transfered over to the National Guard after getting out of the Marines, and Im on the fence as we speak. I can't speak for my friends, but for me even thinking about it has to do how they process you back in and the hastles and BS I have to fight. I know I could walk into the National Guard Monday and Ill be swearing in in a couple weeks. But for now Im going to wait a little more, been working on this for almost a year now!

I have been thinking of switching to the Army after this contract is up for the reason of trying to go special forces. The Army gives more opportunities to go special forces.

I am also an Air Reserve Technician (ART).I was a 0331 in the USMCR .There are many ways to serve at different times of your life.There are things i miss about being in the Corps ,but there are things about the Air Force that are good also.

Quote Originally Posted by Supersquishy View Post
    Great question, I know of several Marine buddies that transfered over to the National Guard after getting out of the Marines, and Im on the fence as we speak. I can't speak for my friends, but for me even thinking about it has to do how they process you back in and the hastles and BS I have to fight. I know I could walk into the National Guard Monday and Ill be swearing in in a couple weeks. But for now Im going to wait a little more, been working on this for almost a year now!
    sorry to go off topic but why is it that you are having trouble getting back in? Ive been out for ten years now and I have my choice of mos's and will be back in in less than 2 months!

Quote Originally Posted by motox151 View Post
    sorry to go off topic but why is it that you are having trouble getting back in? Ive been out for ten years now and I have my choice of mos's and will be back in in less than 2 months!
    Ill tell you in PM. Some people work harder than others, thats all im saying in public.

Marine Free Member aussiemarine's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Blog Entries

Marriage

I married an Aussie girl and moved to Australia. Hated civie life. Too old to get back in the Corps, or any other US Service, so now Aussie Army. But people who know my background respected me evan as a recruit and am often asked in situations "how would the Marines do it?" or I get comments, "This must suck to you after being in a real military" But the Aussies are good, Better than US Army, but not to the brotherhood.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Thanks to all of you for your response to this question.
    I have always looked down on all branches except the Marines and I still can't imagine being anything but a Marine.
    Seems to me that everyone can't be a Marine but anyone can get in anything else.
    Semper Fi Redman

There are several of us in my AF unit that are Marines. Just about everyone knows who "we" are.

Thread Information