Why did you choose infantry? - Page 3
Create Post
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    I'm just waiting for them to whip 'em out and measure.

Phantom Blooper
    Guest Free Member
    I'm just waiting for them to whip 'em out and measure.
    When I was stationed at Camp Lejeune in the early eighties....I peed of a bridge into a creek.....this was in January......not only was the water cold....but it was DEEP too!

From an old grunt who knows that it takes the whole Marine Corps to make an effective outfit.

Just like that joke in the Chuckles of the Day.....The Marine Corps as a whole body needs every body part to run smoothly.....when your azzhole tightens up an shuts down the backbone and the rest goes to shiat!

Nuff said....dead discussion!

Phantom Blooper
    Guest Free Member
    I just watched the video.

I see NOTHING motivating or having a sense of pride....except for maybe some of the flick pictures.....but the verbiage is not the way I remember or want to leave this world remembering the grunts.....it must be a new wave thing.

I see this as derogatory and disdainful to ALL Marines!

I joined the infantry with no bonus. Why? I don't even know. But I will say that the instructors at Infantry School told us that all the things we learned would be completely useless in the civilian world with one exception: the ability to "gut it out" in the most adverse circumstances. And in the 25 years since I was discharged, I can tell you unequivocally that they were right.

Quote Originally Posted by Bulkyker View Post
    There is a certain amount of jealous envy toward people other than grunts. There is only so much you can take sleeping in a muddy hole and getting up in the middle of the night to go on an armed patrol for 4 hours and coming back and standing radio watch till dawn before you start getting an attitude. You are well aware that you just walked 20 miles drinking hotwater out of a canteen that smells like a goat puked in it while your counter part is sitting in an air conditioned office drinking ice cold mountain dew and he slept in a bed the night before under clean sheets and had a shower. You start to develope a certain animosity. It is not the grunts are better than you but at times you really wish you were the one eating pizza and drinking a pitcher of beer instead of the one slapping yet another coat of deet on and using your helmet for a pillow.

Slug you need to stand down. You aint better than anyone!
    Speak for yourself. I've never once thought about POG's and wished I was one of them because I had a long hump or a really hard day of training and wished I was in an office somewhere getting fat eating pizza. We love it when it sucks. I've also never been one to think I was a badass, but comments like that seem ignorant to me. And for the record, seven years in the infantry and I've never once drinken out of a canteen, aside from in bootcamp.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    The whole canteen thing is we're a generation apart. There is no elite-ism in the infantry but you have to admit the grunts lead a different life than the pogues.

If you further wish to discuss my ignorance we can do that here

http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/sh...01949&page=519

because I didnt wanna be a pog

This grunt vs pog "war" is stupid. We all fight the SAME war. We're all Marines aren't we? We all earned our title as Marines. We fight the same enemy.

But to you grunts... We hold a special bond. A bond we would only understand. And seriously, I love ya'll for this.

To the other MOS's. Keep doing what ya'll do. Semper Fidelis.

I was never a grunt and never saw combat. In fact, I was an admin chief. But, I can tell you this...I am a Marine and a successful one at that. When I went to the resident SNCO Academy in Quantico, I had no problem competing with grunt SNCO's and, in some areas, even graded out higher than they did. When I went to MSG School as a student detachment commander, there were grunt SNCO's in my class (along with former DI's). Not only did I compete with all of them, I was the SNCO honor grad for our class; me, a lowly 0193! Hard for some of you to believe I know. Then, out on the program, my detachment in Port au Prince Haiti was named the #1 detachment in the Marine Security Battalion for 1987, I was named the detachment commander of the year (just as prestigious as DI of the year and recruiter of the year), and awarded the Meritorious Service Medal. As the detachment commander, I effectively lead grunts including one senior sergeant who was a Recon Marine. During that year, there had to at least be a handfull of grunt detachment commanders spread amongst the detachments around the world but none of them had the best detachment on the program...wait for it...an admin chief did! As a SNCO, I completed the nonresident programs for The Basic School and The Amphibious Warfare School as well as a bachelor of science degree. Not bragging; I can back everything up with documentation, copies of diplomas, award citations, or pics of my honor grad plaque from The Marine Corps Assn (you cannot order one of those on-line). Just making the point that regardless of some bellicose opinions here, pog's can and do excell, compete with grunts, and in certain circusmstances, even out-perform grunts...believe it or not. It happens a lot more than you realize and I am proof.

Just to finish my point (had to leave earlier).

Like I said, I have lead grunts and pog's. Were the grunts treated any differently simply because of their MOS? Of course not; they were all Marines in my eyes and deserved the same level of leadership. And, guess what...they all had their own strengths and weaknesses. They all made mistakes, learned from them, and carried on. Grunts are outstanding in some things but lacking in others and the same thing can be said about pog's (whether you want to admit that or not). Looking back now, it's difficult to remember who had what MOS because it didn't matter. What mattered was we were all Marines working together as a team to accomplish the mission and we did that superbly.

I have all the respect in the world for grunts. Where would our Corps be without them? However, you can say the same thing about pog's; where would we be without them? Some of the finest Marines I've ever known have been grunts and some of the finest Marines I've ever known have been pog's. Funny how it works like that. Maybe that's why it's called the Marine Corps and not the Grunt Corps.

Marine Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Blog Entries

pizza party/dew

i dont recall them asking me, been so long was there a choice of mos, i dont remember them asking me if iwanted any thing when i got off the bus at PI, and in rvn they had pizza and dew , now thats a little much, they probably ate long rat while i ate c rates, water did smell funny in that canteen, my ***** is the sun and heat iam fair complected ,i love all marines little problem with house mouses but iam geting mental help for that to, s/f

Marine Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Blog Entries
    correction on spelling ,complexion, fair skin,freckles, please dont get offended you college grad , 10th grader here Catholic school too.

Thread Information