Disqualification?
Create Post
    Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

Question Disqualification?

Greetings everyone,
    I've been searching for the answer to this for awhile and have asked many people, but everyone I ask cannot give me a straight answer. I have minimal Obstructive Lung Disease. It is not asthma, and I do not take anything for it. I will have it for the rest of my life, though their are things to help improve it, but I can never fully get rid of it. Basically all it does is cause slight tight chested feelings after a bit and I can not take in as much air as most people. Before I pursue this any farther I'd like to now if this disqualifies me.

- Melissa.

Military Medical Standards for Enlistment & Commission
    Lungs, chest wall, pleura, and mediastinum
    http://usmilitary.about.com/od/joini...ry/a/lungs.htm

And how about filling out all of your profile so the Marines here know who they are talking to, and read the rules in the poolee and Ask A Marine forums also.

Credits
    Savings
    I've looked at that before, thank you though.
    And I've filled some of it out.

Phantom Blooper
    Guest Free Member
    Your barking up the wrong tree.....your devotion and dedication is GREAT!

But lung problems unless you pass the pulmonary test is DQ.

And if you do pass with a pre existing condition it is doubtful you will be waivered....because....you would be a risk and a liability.

Good luck.

Credits
    Savings
    Alright, thank you very much. I'll do everything in my power to have it waivered if I have too.

I would seriously doubt that they'll give a waiver for this one. Look at it this way, the minimum PFT in the Marine Corps is a 3 mile run. Can you run 3 miles in, say, 22 minutes? (Yes, the standard actually says 28 or whatever but that's a 'barely passing' PT score which trust me you don't want).

Next question, can you go into a Gas chamber, filled with CS gas, take off your gas mask, and sing the Marine Corps Hymn?

Final question, can you hump a 60 pound pack up and down a mountain for 10-12 miles?

Quote Originally Posted by Silva View Post
    Greetings everyone,
    I've been searching for the answer to this for awhile and have asked many people, but everyone I ask cannot give me a straight answer. I have minimal Obstructive Lung Disease. It is not asthma, and I do not take anything for it. I will have it for the rest of my life, though their are things to help improve it, but I can never fully get rid of it. Basically all it does is cause slight tight chested feelings after a bit and I can not take in as much air as most people. Before I pursue this any farther I'd like to now if this disqualifies me.

- Melissa.
    From my experience I'd stay away from a situation where your confinded in small places with alot of people,the kind of situation you can't avoid in the military.
    When I was at the Infantry training regiment in Camp Geiger me and about half my company came down with something called acute respiratory disease.This is a viral infection that spreads from person to person and in my case and many others in my company required hospitalization
    I was in the Camp Lejeune Naval Hospital for over a month and sick as a dog and I'm service connected because of it to this day.
    I was in perfect health and didn't have any preexisting conditions when I enlisted,but after this illness I was hospitalized 2 more times for respiratory problems.
    I'm going to direct you to a site that explains this problem in the military
    http://www.cdc.gov/NCIDOD/eid/vol5no3/gray.htm

YOU WOULD LIKELY BE DISQUALIFIED. BECAUSE YOU ARE A LIABILITY RISK BIG TIME> BECAUSE OF THE PHYSICAL FITNESS STANDARDS.,your at risk for respitory arrest if you over due your self

Thread Information