Marine Corp knowledge for promotions?
Create Post

Marine Corp knowledge for promotions?

I am a new lance corporal and I am having a little trouble finding out what I need to know for things like promotion boards and inspections.

What kind of questions do they ask when you go up for promotion?

Where is a good place to find the information they want?

I know about the uniform order but other than that I get lost in the sauce when it comes to the huge amount of random information I should know.

Any help would be appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by LanceHippo View Post
    I am a new lance corporal and I am having a little trouble finding out what I need to know for things like promotion boards and inspections.

What kind of questions do they ask when you go up for promotion?

Where is a good place to find the information they want?

I know about the uniform order but other than that I get lost in the sauce when it comes to the huge amount of random information I should know.

Any help would be appreciated.
    Ask one of your NCO's or a SNCO.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Guidebook for Marines is good and keep up on current events

I can tell you first hand that they are always going to ask about Marine Corps history and off the wall stuff like, "How many holes are in a MRE cracker?" Generally, the Marines asking questions care more about your bearing than the actual answer in my opinion. I would not only make sure I knew answers, but I would also make sure I was completely squared away. Sometimes, there are Marines that they want to win the Board and the Board is a formality. At least that's what I experienced in the units I was in. And if you're competing against a WM, be extra squared away because sometimes they hold a slight advantage. Just my opinion.

Last edited by SgtBoyed; 03-09-10 at 06:22 PM. Reason: Spelling error

I agree, ask your NCO's or SNCO's. See if they can set up a practice board for you. I usually come up with some questions, set up a room and have my Marines practice reporting, then I get them familiar with the way most boards go. Confidence and bearing are important, in my opinion. As far as knowledge goes, know your basic Marine Corps knowledge, if you still have your green monster go ahead and study it. Also make sure your uniforms are squared away. Walking in with a busted uniform is a sure way to lose before it even starts.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SgtBoyed View Post
    I can tell you first hand that they are always going to ask about Marine Corps history and off the wall stuff like, "How many holes are in a MRE cracker?" Generally, the Marines asking questions care more about your bearing than the actual answer in my opinion. I would not only make sure I knew answers, but I would also make sure I was completely squared away. Sometimes, there are Marines that they want to win the Board and the Board is a formality. At least that's what I experienced in the units I was in. And if you're competing against a WM, be extra squared away because sometimes they hold a slight advantage. Just my opinion.

And if they ask something weird like "How many holes in an MRE cracker?" just answer with as much confidence as you can, "Well, the last time I counted one, there were 18-holes in it." Or, something like that. Of course, be prepared for the follow-up question, which will be, "When was the last time you counted holes in an MRE cracker?" As SgtBoyed said, bearing, bearing, bearing.

The info you really must have for boards are being 100% on your essential subjects, up to date on current events, 100% on your chain-of-command, solid in your MOS for your grade (even though the board members may not have your MOS - you never know what that old 1stSgt was before he re-upped for the first time), solid on your Marine Corps history (I was told I made meritorious Corporal based on my superior knowledge of MC history over the next closest candidate, because we were tied otherwise).

If you are deployed and standing a board, you may want to make sure you are 100% on the ROE and other local info of importance. Maybe basics in the language (please, thank you, hello, goodbye, etc) and culture (like not eyeballing the local females, etc).

For the boards I stood (lo, those many moons ago), that was standard. I doubt that much has changed.

One of the dumbest things in the Marine Corps to me is the Paper Board or SRB Board...completely stupid.

Thank you this was very helpful, I will talk to my Shop NCO's and SNCO's today and see if they can help me out.

Much appreciated.

Thread Information