Savings
    Images
    I was there in 68 and for some reason I thought they went the other way
    Semper Fi Redman

Marine Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

No Footprints...

There were no "Yellow Footprints" in January thru April of 1959....
    Our D.I. picked us up at staging and marched us back to the barracks at 2nd Bn...
    Then the fun started....

I've heard that they were installed just after the champion boxer named Bowe went to boot camp and couldn't hack it due to the mental strain and an investigation began about cruel and inhumane treatment, as to him...

If anyone has any facts, please post...

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    No Yellow Foot Prints you are a old salt. You make me feel young.
    One thing about it Foot Prints or not its a rough ride you'll never forget.
    Semper Fi Redman

I remember when grey issued sweats meant you were salty....now most Marines have never even seen them!

No sweats issued period when I went through in 1981.

I was issued one pair of BOON DOCKERS, and one pair of rough leather COMBAT BOOTS that we had to spit shine. This was when the D.I. wanted to hear heels dig into the grinder. No shin splints in those days. Never had the crutch brigade following us everywhere we went. Never saw the big parade deck until Initial Drill and Final Drill as all our drill was done on the small parade deck by the SD Airport.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    I haven't thought about it in years.
    In 68 we were issued gray sweats, green tennis shoes that we never wore, and of course dull leather black boots to spit shine which took a couple of days. I also never saw the parade deck until graduation. Something I never understood that some Marines said they still had there K-bar. Every duty station I ever went to including Nam we had to turn in everything when we left. That even went for field jackets.
    Semper Fi Redman

Credits
    Savings
    I went back to PI four years ago to see a friend graduate and had the pleasure of standing on the yellow footprints with my friend, his Uncle (a Korean War Vet) and myself. I love the tradition of the Marine Corps.

Quote Originally Posted by redman1 View Post
    I haven't thought about it in years.
    In 68 we were issued gray sweats, green tennis shoes that we never wore, and of course dull leather black boots to spit shine which took a couple of days. I also never saw the parade deck until graduation. Something I never understood that some Marines said they still had there K-bar. Every duty station I ever went to including Nam we had to turn in everything when we left. That even went for field jackets.
    Semper Fi Redman
    It's called mis-approapreation(SP) of Government Property.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Good one Old Marine, I always tried to do that but they were pretty strick and I couldn't do it. At least your honest.
    Am I correct on the issue or has it changed any in time?
    Semper Fi Redman

I never thought to stand on the yellow foot prints when I went back to PI to watch my brother in law graduate (I wasn't able to stand on them in BC because of lightning within 5).

I met a Marine a few years back who was rocking the original leather boots as if he was actually issued them in bootcamp (he was way too young, but just wanted to appear salty). I also remember those idiots who would add bleach when washing their woodland cammies to make them look more salty.....stupid.

I never got to stand on the footprints. I was one of the last ones off the last bus and they ran out of footprints. About 3 guys and myself just had to stand at the end of the formation at the POA while the DI's gave their spill. I didn't stand on the footprints though.

they were there in june 1970.

Just realized that today is 57 years since I reported to MCRD, San Diego for Recruit Training. A day I will never forget. The Drill Instructor took us to chow and they had cold mac & cheese left from dinner. The Drill Instructor was the server and I stuck out my tray and he proceeded to completely load it up. He asked when I had enough and I replied "about 10 scoops back." He grabbed me by my shirt, pulled me across the steam table and whispered in my ear that I was to go to the mess table sit down and completely eat the whole tray of mac & cheese. I hate mac & cheese to this day. When I arrived at MCRD, I knew nothing about the Marine Corps at all, but it did not take long to get climitized in my new enviorement. Welcome to U.S. Marine Corps Recruit Training.

Thread Information