Attention NY poolees.
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Attention NY poolees.

At my poolee function today my recruiter sent around a paper and had everyone read it. It was a order from albany. Rs Albany is upping the ist standards in order for people to ship. It is now set at 5 pullups, 60 crunches, and 1.5 miles in 13:00 min. Apparently NY is that state that has the most recruits dropping out of training due to not being able to pass the ist so they are correcting this. NY is the only state with these requirements.

im still going to pass if that cant be done then people need to sit down and see what there getting them selves into .. Being a Marine is not something you just decide to do or want to become overnight. If they cant pass a basic IST then they need to join the air force or something

Quote Originally Posted by Poolee Giordano View Post
    im still going to pass if that cant be done then people need to sit down and see what there getting them selves into .. Being a Marine is not something you just decide to do or want to become overnight. If they cant pass a basic IST then they need to join the air force or something

Agreed but some kids think its easy and others get in the dep and either stop working out or dont even start working out because they think they will be fine when they get to boot camp.

I forgot to add that there will be a 90 day test before you ship as well as the 30 day test.

Im not sure if it is just New York. In Sioux Falls SD they also have changed their requirments to the ones stated above.

Better sure at one point in time, the rest of the RS's will follow suit.

Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    i was at PT yesterday and my RS Hempstead NY didnt say anything about that. If its true good for them it will weed out all the potential recruits who dont work out or stop working out before Boot.

Quote Originally Posted by Poolee Redding View Post
    i was at PT yesterday and my RS Hempstead NY didnt say anything about that. If its true good for them it will weed out all the potential recruits who dont work out or stop working out before Boot.
    Maybe your recruiter didt bring it up. It was an order that came down very recently.

Does this apply for Minnesotan residents as well? I can do 5 pull ups and 60 crunches easily. It'd be great to know if the IST minimum requirements have increased for everyone or just a few states.

Also I think that increasing the minimum is great. I've heard that you can prepare physically for Boot Camp, but you'll never be able to mentally prepare for it. I heard it's just a culture shock when you get on the Yellow Footprints and walk through those doors. In my opinion it's best for everyone to be as prepared as possible and if they're increasing the minimum IST for some RSS then that's only going to benefit the Poolees themselves. It'd be great to know the facts though. I've done some searching on the forum and seen Marines say that the IST hasn't changed.

Danno it may very well be the changing in the Minnesota area too. In Sioux Falls they cover parts of Minnesota and are under the same region/district. I believe that if they change it right now its just a matter of what RS want to up it not a full Marine Corps standard change. However I do not know 100% but based on what ive heard that other regions are increasing it that is my base of knowledge. I have heard like you from Marines that it hasnt changed though.

All I know is that it is for NY, I have no clue about other states.

The only Marines that would be aware of IST changes would be recruiters.....

Wow, that's really cool. Maybe some of the fatbodies will get in better shape then. It really doesn't effect me all that much... it's easy to meet those requirements.

Quote Originally Posted by danno View Post
    Does this apply for Minnesotan residents as well? I can do 5 pull ups and 60 crunches easily. It'd be great to know if the IST minimum requirements have increased for everyone or just a few states.
    Im from Minnesota to, and I have no heard anything, but to be honest, if you are not passing these requirements, your asking for a world of hurt as it is.

My recruiter said this is an order from the Major because RS Albany has the highest IST failure rate when recruit's arrive at boot camp so, to change that they've made it harder to get to boot camp.

Quote Originally Posted by Poolee Johnson View Post
    My recruiter said this is an order from the Major because RS Albany has the highest IST failure rate when recruit's arrive at boot camp so, to change that they've made it harder to get to boot camp.
    Thats what I said in the post......

Thread Information