Got my letter for C&P Exam. Couple questions
Create Post
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Got my letter for C&P Exam. Couple questions

Hey all,

I am going in to the VA for my C&P Exam in April. I contacted my DAV representative and asked him what I need to bring to the exam/appointments and he said nothing. Does anyone have any suggestions of what the wish they would have took, or did take to their exams?

Also, how does the VA test for tinnitus?

I am going in for PTSD, Bi Lateral hearing loss, tinnitus, and heat flash burns (that have healed since deployment).

Thanks for the help guys

Thanks for the info Rocky.

I guess I should be more specific in what i mean by "what I should bring". I have a PTSD worksheet I downloaded off the internet and filled out about specific symptoms, i have my medical reports, etc. Is the exam just yes or no questions, or what is the format? Can I bring hand written notes to reference specific instances (for PTSD claim)?

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by lmholmes11 View Post

Marine Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    If you have any documentation which has not been submitted to the VA, you can present it at the C&P. The single most important thing you can take with you is your wife. (If you don't have one, take a parent or the person who knows you best, both before and after your deployment.) Let her answer most of the questions.

Bear in mind that everything you say and do will be put into the Dr's notes. When you walk into the room, he will ask you, "How are you?" Just making conversation, right? Wrong. If you say "Fine", he will report that you are fine.
    The answer is how you are feeling right then. "Nervous as Hell." Or, "I don't like walking through a ****ing crowd to get here." Or, "I can't ****ing believe they sent an Arabic doctor to rate how I think about being at war with Arabic enemy."

Don't hold anything back. If you feel like crying, do it. If you get frustrated to the point of pacing the room, do it. Locate every object in the room which you could use as a weapon if needed. Move your chair so that your back is against the wall opposite the door.

The doctor will have a list of questions he has to ask you. I think the list is on hadit.com . At the end, he will give you and your wife time to add whatever you want to say. This is the time for your wife to put in her 2 cents.

Also, after the C&P, the doctor will put all his notes into your C-file. It may take him a week or so, but when he does, you have a right to a copy of those notes, and to disagree with anything he said.

As for tinnitus, there is no test to determine if you have it. They have to take your word. It is worth 10%.

Good luck.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    When they call Your Name out in the Waiting Room Hearing portion of Your ear Exam wait till they say it a least 3 times then go sorry I CAN'T HEAR THAT GOOD ANYMORE!!!

Corpsman Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    ......DO NOT DRESS NICE!! Make sure your personal appearence is CRAPPY. DON'T SHAVE, EITHER! Clothes with stains, and holes in them. KNOW what they're looking for!! Your REP. should be able to tell you what the VA EXPECTS, and how to put that info into words.
    You have all of OUR support.
    BEST OF LUCK!!!
    SEMPER FI.....Doc Greek....

C&p

Go in on the 10th for C&P and then X-Rays and I always go like I just fell off the back of a truck and rolled for several feet before stopping good advise never look good when you go in.

thanks for the advice guys. Why would it be important that I take my wife with me? I never even thought about it.

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by lmholmes11 View Post
    thanks for the advice guys. Why would it be important that I take my wife with me? I never even thought about it.
    She would have firsthand knowledge of your condition and how it affects you and your family, seeing you on a daily basis.

Corpsman Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    WELL.....all you NUMBNUTS....I've been to THREE C & P's, first one in 97' when I tried to kill myself, and wound up in a straight jacket at James Haley VA Hosp in Tampa.....got 50%. Second one in Tampa, also....took less than 10 minutes!!!.....NO increase, that was in 2001. Third one was in Tampa, November 2007....took ONE HOUR and FORTY minutes!! Was approved for 100%, PERMANANT and TOTAL......Jan. 2008!
    My Mom passed away on Feb. 3rd 2008.
    I was told ahead of time just what to expect at all 3 C & P's......JUST B.S.!! KNOW WHAT PTSD IS, AND ALL OF THE SYMPTOMS. PROVE YOUR CASE WITH AT LEAST 18 MONTHS OF COUNCELING SESSIONS, AND SEVERAL SHRINK VISITS....SHOWING A LOW G.A.F. SCORE!! Your shrink should type a profile/synopsis of your symptoms, verifying having PTSD, and add what his prognosis is. If you don't know ALL OF THIS SH*T, you will NOT get over 50% for the ailment.....PERIOD.
    I've got 28 years of therapy and ABOUT 20 different med's that I've taken to fight the DAM SYMPTOMS.
    BEST OF "LUCK"!!!!.....Doc Greek

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Oh you mentioned taking your Wife with You let HER tell the Doctor an Ear Full of whats happening seeing You go thru Hell and having too Be there 4you living with us can be very hard on the People that Love US.GodLuck GodSpeed and everything will come out in the Wash MARINE S/F

Last time I looked at my treatment records, my GAF score was 45.

Will the VA hesitate to give me 100% based on Unemployability just due to the fact i am so young? (23)

Marine Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Blog Entries
    HELLO IAM 80% IAM 3YEARS TRYING TO GET UNEMPLOYABLE,IT HAS ALOT TO DO WITH YOUR EMPLOYERS RESPOND LETTER TO THE VA .YOUR MENTAL HEALTH RECORDS AND LETTER FROM YOUR SHRINK IN YOUR FAVOR, A md ,YOU HAVE TO BE OR ACT VERY ANTI SOCIAL IN C&P,MY GUESS IT WILL TAKE 3TIMES BEFORE THEY GIVE ANYTHING ,ITS A FIGHT, AGOOD SREVICE REP IS VERY INPORTANT AND HARD TO FIND. MINES AT DAV ,GOOD LUCK usmc

Thread Information