Quick question about E-8 and E-9
Create Post
    Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

Quick question about E-8 and E-9

Hello Marines, sorry if this seems typed sloppily, I'm in quite of a hurry.

I got to see my grandfather and talk about the navy today, he said he retired as an E-7, but the were just starting E-8s and E-9s right before he started the process of retiring. Then we had to leave so I didn't have a chance to ask him what year he retired, does anyone know about what year this started going on? or his he mistaking, he's gonna be 80 this year I can see how that could happen. I think he was involved in Korea, and he was still active during Vietnam I believe, I think he retired in the early 70's with 22 years in maybe? I know he lied about his age to enlist.

But I was just curious if the didn't have E-8s and E-9s, what did they use for that rank or did that fall to WO's and Officers?
    And why they created those ranks?

I tried google, no avail, I didn't really know how to search for it. Thanks Marines.

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Navy Question ???

E-7 to E-9 are still considered Petty Officers, but are considered a separate community within the Navy, unlike NCO's of other branches of service. They have separate berthing and dining facilities (where feasible), wear separate uniforms, and perform separate duties. Advancement to Chief Petty Officer (E-7) or above requires a peer review by existing Chief Petty Officers beyond the normal examination score and performance evaluation process. The annual list of Chief selectees are authorized by Congress, leading chiefs to sometimes overstate, "it took an act of Congress to put these anchors here, it will take an act of Congress to take them off."

The proper form of address to a Chief Petty Officer is "Chief", "Senior Chief" (or "Senior"), or "Master Chief" according to their rating. In the U. S. Navy, the Chief is specifically tasked, in writing, with the duty of training Junior Officers (Ensign, Lieutenant (j.g.), Lieutenant, and Lieutenant Commander)—one of the major differences between a Chief in the Navy and his counterparts in the senior NCO corps in the Army, Marine Corps, and Air Force.

Although the title "Chief" has been around since the Continental Navy in 1776, the Chief Petty Officer rate was not established until 1 April 1893. At that time nearly all enlisted members who had carried the rate of Petty Officer First Class since 1885 were advanced to Chief Petty Officer, with the exception of Schoolmasters, Ship's Writers, and Carpenter's Mates.

The rates Senior Chief and Master Chief were established on 1 June 1958. To be eligible for advancement to Senior Chief, a Chief Petty Officer must normally have had three years in the current grade, although this can be decreased to two years if an "early promote" is given on their FITREP. For advancement to Master Chief, a Chief needed a total of three years in the current grade (once again, this can be decreased to two years with an "early promote").

The dress blue insignia consists of a perched eagle or "crow" with spread wings atop a rating mark, with three chevrons and one 'rocker' above the rating mark. Inverted five-point stars above the crow denote the rank of Senior Chief (one star) or Master Chief (two stars). All other uniforms use the collar device to denote rank. It consists of a fouled anchor (an anchor that is entangled with its chain) with the initials U. S. N. (in silver) superimposed, with stars above the anchor to indicate higher pay grades, similar to the dress blue insignia.

Credits
    Savings
    Thanks Rocky, I didn't mean to be specific about the Navy, I was thinking all the branches added E-8 and E-9 at the same time but I see how I made that post look Navy specific, my apoligies!

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bquick13 View Post
    Thanks Rocky, I didn't mean to be specific about the Navy, I was thinking all the branches added E-8 and E-9 at the same time but I see how I made that post look Navy specific, my apoligies!
    No problem, it did Read Navy Specific though.

Go to Wikipedia and you can read about Pay Grades and Ranks and Rates on All of the Branches of the Armed Forces and when things were changed and added over the years.

It's a Great read

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    In your case this may just add to the confusion but hopefully not.
    http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/ar...p/t-16085.html

If you can ask your grandfather was his rank was vice his pay grade it might help clear some things up.

Navy Chiefs are not approved or authorized by congress. I don't know where that information came from. However, the numbers of individuals in any certain pay grade are mandated by congress for all military services.

Quote Originally Posted by bquick13 View Post
    Hello Marines, sorry if this seems typed sloppily, I'm in quite of a hurry.

I got to see my grandfather and talk about the navy today, he said he retired as an E-7, but the were just starting E-8s and E-9s right before he started the process of retiring. Then we had to leave so I didn't have a chance to ask him what year he retired, does anyone know about what year this started going on? or his he mistaking, he's gonna be 80 this year I can see how that could happen. I think he was involved in Korea, and he was still active during Vietnam I believe, I think he retired in the early 70's with 22 years in maybe? I know he lied about his age to enlist.

But I was just curious if the didn't have E-8s and E-9s, what did they use for that rank or did that fall to WO's and Officers?
    And why they created those ranks?

I tried google, no avail, I didn't really know how to search for it. Thanks Marines.
    E-8 & E-9s were announced for all branches in Oct/Nov 1958!! That same announcement covered all the new "ranks" for the Corps. Implementation was left to each of the services. USMC implementation was originally left to each command to be completed within a reasonable time. As you might expect, lots of problems started to arrise. Some commands would not allow Staff Sergeants (E-5) into the SNCO clubs and some would. Orders got changed and the new rank structure had to be implemented by the end of 1960. I lived it. My DOR to Sergeant (E-4) was 1 June 58. When I left active duty on 19 FEB 60, my DD214 said Corporal (E-4). Really ****ed me off. Up to that time, I still carried the responsibilities of a Sergeant, just didn't get the E-5 pay.

Long tyriad to say, I don't think your Grandfather retired just as they were starting the new rate structures for the Navy.

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by usmcdanno View Post
    Navy Chiefs are not approved or authorized by congress. I don't know where that information came from.
    From The Congress !!!

Chief Petty Officer is the seventh enlisted rank in the U.S. Navy and U.S. Coast Guard, just above Petty Officer First Class and below Senior Chief Petty Officer, and is a senior non-commissioned officer. The Grade of Chief Petty Officer was established on April 1, 1893 for the Navy. Congress first authorized the promotion to Chief Petty Officer on 18 May 1920.

The Marine Corps also changed their rank structure around that time. I went from three stripes Sgt. E-4 to Acting Sgt. same pay grade. Then got promoted to Sgt. 3 stripes and crossed rifles, but wore SSgt Chevrons to designate E-5 because they did not have the new chevrons available yet. It was really a chinese fire drill, trying to figure who was a SSgt. E-5 and who was a Sgt. E-5. I hope this is all correct as it was a very long time ago.

Credits
    Savings
    Thanks for the info Marines! I found out he got out in '69 with 22 years in. He musta been confused about the ranks, but hey he's 80, I'm not gonna correct him, As far as I'm concerned you have earned the right to forget alot of stuff by the time you are 80! Haha!

But it does make sense, the rank structure the way it is now is the only thing I've ever known about it,thats for sure, but it is real interesting learning how its changed over time. I guess you really do learn something everyday.!

Thanks Marines,
    Chase

Sounds like your Grandfather served in the same time frame mine did except my Grandfather served from '42 to '72. Did your Grandfather happen to mention his Rate (MOS) or any ships that he served on?

Credits
    Savings
    I believe, something like a "Chief Gunners Mate", I think thats what he said. He worked on the guns on destroyers mostly. I'll see if I can find out some of the ships he worked on if I can see him tommorrow.

My Grandfather was a Gunner's Mate too, I think he served mainly in the Pacific Fleet but I'm not sure because he served on something like 12 different ships during his career.

Bquick...you are very lucky to have your grandfather still with you and I love the fact that you spend time with him and listen to what he has to and wants to tell you about his life and service to his country.

My dad retired an E-8 ... BUCS. I wish he would have lived to see my son become a U.S. Marine. I'm sure it would have been the proudest day of his life.

Thread Information